We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Hearing aids can improve the quality of life for people with hearing loss. There is a range of hearing aid manufacturers to choose from.
This article looks at several different hearing aids manufacturers to find out what they offer.
Companies often sell hearing aids as part of a bundle, which often includes the following:
- the hearing aid
- any necessary hearing tests
- fitting the hearing aid
- further adjustments to the hearing aid
- routine cleaning
To save costs, some companies allow a person to purchase just the hearing aid or a bundle that only contains some of the features listed above. It is often possible to buy one hearing aid rather than a pair.
When choosing a hearing aid manufacturer, people might want to consider:
- price ranges and payment plans
- quality of products
- technological features that are compatible with the hearing aids, such as smartphone apps or remote controls
- ease of returns or refunds
- whether the company offers hearing tests
- additional services such as fitting of the hearing aid or adjustments and repairs
- sustainability of the product, e.g., whether rechargeable battery hearing aids are available
Please note that the product information below is research-based. No one at Medical News Today, including the writer, has tried these products.
This company sells medical-grade hearing aids that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved.
They make four different hearing aid models:
- Pro: This is an entry-level model. Like all the hearing aids in this list, it is ready to use out of the box.
- Air: Offers four different settings depending on background noise, alongside improved noise reduction so people can hear more clearly in a noisy location.
- Volt+: This hearing aid is water-resistant, has rechargeable batteries, and features additional microphones to drown out background noise.
- Core: Automatically adjusts to a person’s environment. Users can also fully adjust the controls on this model using a smartphone app, customizing what noises they want to hear.
Other MDHearingAid products and services include:
- free online hearing tests
- accessories including batteries, chargers, tips, and tubing
- care kits for hearing aids and ears
MDHearingAid offers customers a 45-day return period, free shipping, and 0% financing with their payment plan. Protection plans are available.
The FDA has approved Eargo’s medical-grade hearing aids that sit inside the ear canal. The company states that these aids are comfortably suspended by “Flexis,” which they describe as soft pieces of medical-grade silicone.
Eargo states that all its hearing aids are rechargeable and virtually invisible. They offer sound amplification, dynamic feedback reduction, and active noise cancellation.
Eargo sells three different hearing aid models.
The Neo and Neo HiFi models also work with the Eargo smartphone app and offer audio personalization, enhanced audio control, and smart help.
All of their hearing aids also come with:
- a portable charger
- a USB plug
- a USB cable
- a wax guard
- a cleaning brush
Eargo provides free hearing tests and telephone or video checkups with a hearing specialist. A person can also request a free non-working hearing aid sample to test for comfort.
Eargo states that they ship the hearing aid within 2-3 days. They offer customers a 45-day money-back return policy and either a 1- or 2-year warranty, depending on the model.
Lively sells FDA-approved hearing aids and states its products are nearly invisible and cost 50% less than the national average.
Lively sells one type of hearing aid available in rechargeable or battery-operated models. The rechargeable model provides 30 hours of use per charge and comes with a portable charging case. The battery-powered model comes with a year’s supply of batteries.
Both models are available in different colors and use Bluetooth streaming, so users can use their phone or tablet to listen to music or take calls.
The Lively smartphone app allows a person to customize their settings. As part of the follow-up care, customers can speak to qualified audiologists using the app. These healthcare professionals can then make remote adjustments to the person’s settings in real-time.
To order a Lively hearing aid, a person must either upload a hearing test from their doctor or take one of Lively’s free online hearing tests.
Lively offers a 100-day risk-free trial. All purchases include a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty and 3-year loss and damage protection.
Signia hearing aids work with a smartphone app or remote control. The app allows customers to speak to hearing care professionals and offers control of the hearing aid’s volume and other settings. Users can also control their hearing aid settings using a discreet remote control that fits in pockets or on keyrings.
Signia offers an online hearing test and free trials when purchasing a hearing aid. A person cannot buy Signia’s hearing aids directly from the company’s website. They must purchase one through a hearing professional at a Signia-approved hearing center.
The hearing aids use Signia’s technology platform called Signia Xperience. Signia state that this offers the following features:
- motion detection to make sounds easy to hear in active situations
- enhanced speech understanding
- an AI digital assistant
- Bluetooth streaming
- clear sound
Examples of Signia hearing aids include:
- Signia Silk X: A small in-ear hearing aid. It sits discreetly inside a person’s ear and comes in four sizes.
- Signia Styletto X: Sits outside the ear and is a rechargeable model. It also comes with a portable charging case that delivers 3 days of charge. This model also offers full Bluetooth connectivity with all devices, including smartphones and TVs.
- Signia Pure 13 Nx: Discreetly sits behind a person’s ear. It also comes with a recharging case and offers Bluetooth connectivity. Signia also states that this model processes the wearer’s voice and integrates it into the soundscape.
Starkey offers an online hearing test or connections to local healthcare professionals. A person cannot buy Starkey’s hearing aids directly from the company’s website. They must purchase one through one of Starkey’s authorized hearing care professionals.
Starkey’s Thrive smartphone app works in connection with their hearing aids. Depending on which product a person owns, it allows them to:
- adjust their hearing aid’s settings
- translate and transcribe speech
- set reminders
- send an automatic alert message to selected contacts
- use brain tracking, which monitors engagement
- use body tracking, which tracks daily steps, measures movement, and monitors physical activity
Starkey supplies three models of hearing aid that work with the Thrive app:
- Picasso: This is an entry-level Starkey model that comes with a chargeable case. The model delivers up to 24 hours of hearing on one charge. It does not offer the brain and body tracking features of the Thrive smartphone app. It also doesn’t offer the transcribe or translate functionality or the fall detection and alert option.
- Livio AI: Offers better sound quality than the Livio model. It offers the brain and body tracking feature of the Thrive app and the transcribe feature. However, this model does not offer translation functionality via the app or the fall detection and alert option.
- Livio Edge AI: This model offers superior sound quality compared to their other models. It also provides better feedback management, more advanced tinnitus technology, and more reliable wireless streaming. It provides all the elements of the Thrive smartphone app, including fall detection and alerts, language translation, and transcription.
Each model is available in a variety of styles. That means a person can choose if they want their hearing aid to sit in their ear canal, in their ear, or behind the ear.
All of these hearing aids offer:
- Bluetooth connectivity
- wireless streaming
- rechargeable options
- smartphone connectivity
Starkey also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and a warranty covering product failure, damage, and loss.
While hearing aids do not cure deafness, they can make a person’s life easier to manage. Despite this, only 25% of the people who could benefit from a hearing aid have ever used one.
Studies show that hearing aids benefit people with mild to moderate hearing loss. One
Audiologists can help people find the correct prescription for their hearing aid. However, a person should have follow-up appointments every 2-3 years to monitor any changes in their hearing, which may cause them to require a different prescription.
There is a variety of hearing aid manufacturers offering a range of models and technologies.
When choosing a hearing aid, a person should consider the type, features, cost, technology, and design. Checking online customer reviews may help people decide which hearing aid manufacturer is best for them.