We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
For some people, using a quality blanket that promotes heating or cooling can enable comfortable and continuous sleep.
A person’s sleep environment is an important factor in getting good quality sleep. Using heating and cooling blankets can help create an optimal sleep environment for hot or cold sleepers.
This article discusses the health benefits and potential risks of using heating and cooling blankets, looks at 5 of the best options available online, and some alternatives a person can consider. It also covers some frequently asked questions about heating and cooling blankets.
According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, good sleep hygiene is important in getting good quality sleep. To achieve the best sleep, it recommends that people:
- Limit or avoid alcohol consumption before bed.
- Do not eat large, heavy meals before bed.
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule, even on weekends and vacations.
- Avoid caffeine consumption later in the afternoon.
- Get out of bed if they do not fall asleep within 20 minutes.
- Use the bed for sex and sleep purposes only.
- Limit fluid consumption before bedtime.
- Avoid going to bed unless they are tired.
- Create a relaxing routine before bed.
- Create a relaxing, quiet, and dark bedroom.
- Limit exposure to bright lights in the evenings.
- Avoid electronic devices for 30 minutes leading up to bedtime.
- Try to keep the room at a comfortable temperature.
Temperature plays a key role in overall sleep quality and duration. According to one
- sleep adequacy
- sleep calmness
- falling asleep
- sleep satisfaction
In summary, people should try to sleep in an environment that is neither too hot nor too cold.
A heating blanket may help people who feel cold at night reach an ideal temperature. Using a cooling blanket may help people feel comfortable while reducing sleeping temperature.
A heating blanket, or an electric blanket, uses internal heat coils to provide additional heat to sleepers. Typically, a person will plug in the heating blanket and set the temperature to the desired level. Many devices also have automatic shutoffs to help prevent fires.
A cooling blanket can help warm sleepers, and people in warm environments feel comfortable without trapping in extra heat. Cooling blankets usually consist of breathable materials that help release heat.
There have been no studies into the effectiveness of cooling blankets for sleep for commercial use.
In some cases, a blanket may offer a climate control feature. These blankets offer heating and cooling effects based on the user’s needs.
When selecting a blanket, a person should consider their needs and preferences. For example, they can consider the following questions:
- Is my sleep environment hot or cold?
- Do I regularly sleep hot?
- Do I have a sleep partner?
A person may also want to consider:
- the materials used to make the blanket, including the quality, type of material, and effects on allergies
- features such as automatic shutoff or dual side controls
Every person will vary in terms of their preferences.
MNT chooses mattresses, sheets, pillows, and other bedding that meet the following criteria:
- Certifications: MNT will choose products that have CertiPUR-US or other certifications. This means that the products are low in pollutants and free from heavy metals and volatile organic compounds.
- Size: MNT chooses products that are available in various sizes.
- Materials and fill: MNT selects products made from different materials and fills, such as memory foam and latex, to suit a range of sleep and lifestyles.
- Budget: MNT features products to suit a wide range of budgets.
- Sleep trials: MNT chooses companies that offer a sleep trial.
- Shipping: Where possible, MNT will include shipping information, such as where the company delivers to and whether shipping is free.
- Warranties and return policies: MNT will include products that carry warranties and clear returns policies.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Below are some of the best cooling blankets a person can consider and purchase online.
Best for natural materials: DANGTOP Cooling Blanket
- Price: $27.99–52.99
DANGTOP offers a cooling blanket made with bamboo, which is a sustainable material. The company claims that bamboo helps to naturally absorb a person’s body heat.
This blanket is cool-to-the-touch, and the company writes that it is suitable for indoor temperatures of 80 degrees Fahrenheit (ºF) to 121 ºF.
The blanket is washable by hand or on a gentle cycle in the washing machine. It is available in three sizes and 10 colors.
The company does not specify the thread count of the product.
The sizes include:
- 59 x 79 inches (in)
- 79 x 91 in
- 108 x 90 in
A person can get free shipping and free returns within 30 days.
Best for sustainable manufacturing: The Buffy Breeze
- Price: $199–279
The Buffy Breeze is made from eucalyptus fibers and filling to help keep a person cool at night. The manufacturer claims that eucalyptus is an eco-friendly material that they source from sustainably managed forests.
It is also fully biodegradable and has a 300 single-ply thread count.
The comforter comes in three sizes, including:
- twin/twin XL
- king/cal king
This comforter needs to be dry cleaned, which may make it more difficult to look after. Additionally, the company recommends that a person uses a duvet cover with this product. However, the company writes that it is safe for both children and pets.
Buffy offers a 7-night free trial, which allows a person to try out the product for a week before paying. Additionally, the company provides a 100-night returns policy and free shipping.
Best weighted blanket: BlanQuil Chill
- Price: $299
This weighted blanket has cooling technology designed to draw heat away from the body and wick away moisture to help a person feel cool while sleeping.
The company claims it has designed the blanket to weigh 8–15% of a person’s body weight. This reportedly relaxes the body, helps a person fall asleep, and minimizes body movement during sleep.
It is available in one size — 48 x 74 in — and two weights: 15 pounds (lb) and 20 lb.
It is machine washable.
A person can trial this blanket for 60 nights.
The following products are a range of heating blankets a person can consider.
Best heated blanket for overnight use: Pure Warmth Velour Sherpa Electric Heated Blanket
- Price: $64.95–67.95
This blanket is a polyester and sherpa electric heated blanket.
A person can choose from six heat settings, and the blanket will automatically turn off after 6 hours. This may mean this blanket is suitable for people to use overnight.
However, a person should be cautious when sleeping with an electric blanket and be mindful not to cover the blanket with another duvet or set it at a very high temperature to avoid the product overheating.
A person should always follow manufacturer instructions.
Pure Warmth offers this blanket in one size and five colors, and the blanket is machine-washable and safe to put in a dryer.
The product comes with a 5-year limited warranty, free shipping and a 30-day return policy.
Best portable heated blanket: The Cozee
- Price: $349.99
The Cozee is a portable heating blanket that can provide heat both indoors and while a person is outdoors.
It uses velour material that the company states is durable, water-resistant, and can shield a person against rain and snow.
The blanket can use battery power or mains power. A person can get approximately 3 hours of heat when using the battery power, according to the company.
According to the online product description, a person can charge the blanket in 5 minutes.
The Cozee comes in one size (60 x 60 in), and a person can choose from three heat settings.
The company offers free shipping on orders over $50 and a lifetime warranty.
The table below compares each of the products included in this article.
|DANGTOP||The Buffy Breeze||BlanQuil Chill||Pure Warmth||The Cozee|
|Cooling or heating||cooling||cooling||cooling||heating||heating|
|Material||bamboo||eucalyptus fibers and filling||glass bead fill||• polyester|
|Sizes available||108 x 90 in||• twin/twin XL|
• king/CA king
|• 48 x 74 in|
• 15 or 20 lb weight
|13 x 7 x 13 in||60 x 60 in|
A person can consider the following factors when choosing a heating or cooling blanket:
- Heating or cooling options: A person should assess their needs when looking for a new heating or cooling blanket and consider whether they regularly sleep hot or cold. Cooling blankets are suitable for those who sleep hot or live in warm climates. Heating blankets may be best for colder weather and those needing extra warmth when sleeping.
- Material: A person should consider how the material of their chosen heating or cooling blanket will affect their sleep in terms of temperature and comfort. For instance, some materials are more breathable than others, while others are best for insulating sleepers and keeping them warm. Some companies may use materials from sustainable sources or hold certifications that state that their products are made with industry best practices or without harmful chemicals.
- Price: A person can consider how the features they would like in a blanket suit their budget.
- Safety: For heating blankets, a person should consider the safety of the electrical elements. For instance, they should consider options with automatic shutoff features to prevent a person from getting too hot overnight, sustaining burns, and reduce the risk of fire and the blanket overheating. A person should get their heating blanket checked for electrical safety regularly.
- Size: Some companies offer blankets in a range of sizes. A person should consider which size works best for their bed and if one or two people will be using the blanket.
Alternatives can vary based on the user’s needs. For example, using a cooling mattress is an option for people who want to have cooling effects year-round. Learn more about them here.
Hot sleepers who do not want to replace their mattress may wish to consider using a cooling mattress pad or cooling sheets. A cooling comforter is a good option for people who sleep hot but still want comfort.
People who want extra heat can layer blankets and remove them as they warm up. Another option is to use a hot water bottle.
Climate control system
Couples may wish to consider using a climate control system for their bed. Similar to hospital beds equipped with airflow, climate control systems pump warm or cold air under the covers.
For example, BedJet Cooling, Heating & Climate Control allows couples to pump in warm or cool air based on their preferences to help them sleep better. This product is available for purchase online.
Below are some of the top frequently asked questions about heating and cooling blankets.
Can you wash a cooling blanket?
A person may wash their cooling blanket. Each blanket will have different washing instructions, so a person should check before washing it for the first time.
What blanket material is the coolest?
The type of blanket material that feels the coolest can vary between individuals. Bamboo and viscose-based fibers are good materials for absorbing moisture.
Are cooling blankets good for night sweats?
Research into whether cooling blankets are useful for night sweats is limited. However, cooling blankets may help absorb moisture and reduce a person’s sleeping temperature.
If a person is experiencing night sweats, they should talk to a doctor to determine the cause and the best treatment for them.
Temperature plays a key role in helping a person fall asleep and stay asleep.
Cooling blankets can help hot sleepers feel comfortable without trapping in too much heat. A heating blanket can help people who sleep cold feel warmer and help improve their sleep quality.
A person should decide which type of blanket makes the most sense for their needs and consider the quality of materials. Also, they should try to compare online reviews from different sources for an accurate view of a product’s pros and cons.