We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Hims is a telehealth company specializing in male sexual health concerns and other conditions. It offers online consultations, treatment plans, and support groups.
This article discusses Hims in more detail and its products and services before exploring the health benefits, risks, drawbacks, and alternatives.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
Hims has been in business since 2017 and offers treatments for:
The company aims to provide medical advice and treatment plans for individuals without the need to visit a doctor’s clinic.
Hims states that individuals must be at least 18 years old to use their services. It may also recommend some products only for those aged 21 years and older.
According to the company website, their medications have approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, doctors may prescribe
Hims also mentions that its brands do not test their products and ingredients on animals.
In 2018, Hims launched Hers, a brand focusing on female health.
At the time of publishing, Hims has an average review rating of 5.0 on its website and 4.2 on Trustpilot.
Positive reviews focus on the quality and effectiveness of the company’s products. Customers mention Hims notified them when their prescription was about to expire, while they had no issues refilling their prescription.
Most negative critiques concern customer service and shipping issues. Individuals mentioned that the company took too long to reply to their requests.
Below is a sample of the products and treatments that Hims offers.
People with sexual health concerns may also contact a Hims health professional to discuss treatment options. The company helps people with the following health issues:
A 2014 study found that ED affects
When a person has ED, doctors from Hims may prescribe:
- Sildenafil (Viagra): The active ingredient in Viagra that can treat ED. It improves blood flow in the penis so the individual can have a longer-lasting erection. It may take an hour to start working, so Hims recommends individuals take it 60 minutes before engaging in sexual activity.
- Tadalafil (Cialis): Tadalafil relaxes the blood vessels and improves blood flow to the penis. Hims states that it may take anything from 30 minutes to 2 hours to start working.
- Avanafil (Stendra): A 2014 study notes this new ED medication can improve erectile function in
less than 15 minutesand remains effective for up to 6 hours.
The Urology Care Foundation states that people refer to PE as rapid or early ejaculation. This is because an individual experiences ejaculation sooner than they would like to during sexual activity.
Hims doctors may prescribe Sertraline to delay ejaculation. However, the company states that it is off-label as it does not have approval from the FDA. People can either take it daily at the same time or as needed 4–8 hours before engaging in sexual activity.
Doctors may also suggest using the Hims Premature Ejaculation Spray. Individuals spray it to the most sensitive areas of the penis 5–10 minutes before having sex. It absorbs into the skin without numbing the entire penis.
Hims also offers other services and treatments:
People may find products for anti-aging and acne on the Hims website, for example:
- Anti-Aging Cream: Contains tretinoin, which increases collagen to keep the skin firm and elastic and reduces fine lines. Health experts say that people who use tretinoin should wear sunscreen during the day. This is because the ingredient can increase the skin’s sensitivity to sunlight.
- Good Night Wrinkle Cream: The company recommends that people apply this cream after cleansing their skin and applying other treatments such as tretinoin.
- Acne Cream: A prescription product that can help prevent clogged pores, reduce inflammation, and keep the skin moisturized.
People can connect with a Hims healthcare professional to discuss health symptoms and treatments without going to a doctor’s clinic. The healthcare professional may send a prescription to a local pharmacy for the customer to buy their medication.
According to Hims website, doctors may offer treatment for:
- cold and flu symptoms such as bronchitis, vomiting, and fever
- allergies such as itchy eyes, hay fever, and sinus congestion
- infections such as pinkeye and urinary tract infections
- skin conditions such as eczema and hives
- tension headaches
- fungal infections such as ringworm and athlete’s foot
Hims doctors can prescribe medications for mental health conditions. They may suggest taking:
- Citalopram (Celexa): An antidepressant medication, which can take up to 1–4 weeks before individuals notice its full benefits.
- Fluoxetine (Prozac): Can treat:
- Paroxetine (Paxil): Doctors use this to treat:
The company also offers support groups for people who may wish to discuss their concerns about relationships, anxiety, motivation, and insomnia.
Individuals may purchase proteins, powders, vitamins, and teas on the Hims website, such as:
- The Sleeping Tea: Promotes relaxation before a person goes to bed. This is due to one of its ingredients, chamomile, which can help promote sleepiness.
- Collagen Protein Powder: Supports the bones, skin, tendons, and muscles.
- Biotin Gummy Vitamins: These are gluten-free and may help strengthen the hair, nails, and skin.
People interested in using Hims services may also wish to check out the competition.
This platform provides online visits, customized treatment plans, and medications from verified-accredited wholesale distributors. It helps people with ED, hair loss, PE, cold sores, or genital herpes. Individuals may also use Roman’s pharmacy network or another pharmacy of their choice.
This company helps individuals aged 18 years and older who may require treatment for different health conditions. Their consultation visits cost $25, but they offer a flat monthly fee for mental health support services. Lemonaid also provides health tests for people who may need to measure their blood sugar or cholesterol levels.
This brand produces wearable rings for individuals with ED to improve male sexual performance. Different sizes are available to suit varying ED symptoms and penis girth (circumference).
iCliniq collaborates with more than 3,000 doctors representing 80 specialties. It offers online tools to help people calculate their body mass index and blood volume, among others.
People who may need urgent care and treatment should see a doctor right away. This is because online companies may have treatment delays and services that depend on the individual’s location.
Individuals should also seek medical advice before stopping any prescribed treatments. Some medications can cause serious side effects if people stop taking them abruptly.
Hims is a telehealth company that can help individuals with sexual health concerns and other conditions without visiting a traditional clinic.
It also offers online consultations, personalized treatment plans, and support groups.
People may consider exploring other telehealth companies and compare their products and services with what Hims offers before scheduling an online visit.