We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Hims is a telehealth company specializing in male sexual health concerns and other conditions. It offers online consultations, treatment plans, and support groups.
This article discusses Hims and its products and services in more detail. It also explores some health benefits, risks, drawbacks, and alternatives.
Hims has been in business since 2017. The company currently offers treatments for:
The company aims to provide medical advice and treatment for people who might prefer not to visit a doctor’s office or clinic.
According to the company’s website, its medications have approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, doctors may prescribe medications
Hims also mentions that its products and ingredients have not undergone testing on animals.
The company’s products may be suitable for adult males who have sexual dysfunction, hair loss, some skin concerns, and other general health concerns. Hims may be able to provide a convenient solution, for example, to managing erectile dysfunction.
People must be at least 18 years old to use its services. And some Hims products are only suitable for those ages 21 years and older.
In 2018, Hims launched Hers, a brand focusing on female health.
Hims has accreditation with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), with the organization giving the company an A+ grade. Reviewers on the BBB give Hims an average of 1.09 out of 5 stars.
Hims has an average review rating of 5.0 on its website and 4.3 on Trustpilot.
Positive reviews focus on the quality and effectiveness of products. Customers mention that Hims notified them when their prescription was about to expire and that they had no issues with refills.
Most negative reviews describe customer service and shipping issues. Customers have found that the company took too long to reply to their requests.
Below are some of the products and treatments that Hims offers.
Hims has various benefits and disadvantages, including:
- Convenience: Hims takes customers from assessment to purchase in one online process.
- Range of service: Hims provides various products, from erectile dysfunction treatments to supplements.
- Fully licensed doctors: Every medical professional a person interacts with is fully licensed in their state.
- Cost: Most insurance plans do not cover all Hims’ products.
- Online-only care: Medical professionals can only provide an assessment via video or calls. This may affect the scope of assessments and the quality of ongoing care.
- Personal information: Hims does not sell or share any personal information. But it does require people to upload sensitive data and photos. Some may not be comfortable with this.
Anyone with sexual health concerns can contact a Hims healthcare professional to discuss treatment options.
The company offers services for people with the following sexual health concerns.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
The global prevalence of erectile dysfunction ranges from
When a person has erectile dysfunction, doctors from Hims may prescribe:
- Sildenafil (Viagra): Sildenafil is the active ingredient in Viagra, and it can treat erectile dysfunction. It improves blood flow in the penis so that the person can have a more lasting erection. It may take an hour to start working, so Hims recommends taking it 60 minutes before engaging in sexual activity.
- Viagra: This is the brand version of sildenafil and is available at a higher price.
- Tadalafil (Cialis): Tadalafil relaxes the blood vessels and improves blood flow to the penis. Hims states that it may take 30 minutes to 2 hours to start working. People can take it as needed, and it may last for 24-36 hours. The physician may recommend taking tadalafil every day if a person does not wish to plan before engaging in sexual activity.
- Cialis: This is the brand version of tadalafil and is available as a once-a-day pill.
- Avanafil (Stendra): Like sildenafil,
avanafilimproves blood flow to treat erectile dysfunction.
The below table provides a comparison between the erectile dysfunction products Hims offers.
|Name of medication||Form||What it does||How long it takes to start working||How long effects last||Price|
|Sildenafil or Viagra||tablets||improves circulation to the penis||one hour||4-6 hours||starts at $3 for generic|
starts at $139 for brand
|Tadalafil or Cialis||tablets||relaxes the blood vessels and increases blood flow to the penis||up to two hours||24-36 hours||$82 per month for generic|
$958 per month for brand
|Stendra||tablets||increases penile circulation||30 minutes||up to six hours||starts at $59|
Premature ejaculation involves a person having an ejaculation sooner than they would like during sexual activity. It may be rapid or sudden
Hims doctors may prescribe sertraline to delay ejaculation. However, the company notes that this is an off-label use, which the FDA has not approved. A person can take the medication at the same time every day or as needed 4–8 hours before sexual activity.
The doctors may also suggest using the Hims Premature Ejaculation Spray. People can spray it onto the most sensitive areas of the penis 5–10 minutes before having sex. The product absorbs into the skin without numbing the entire penis.
A person may also find premature ejaculation wipes on Hims’ website.
Below is a comparison between Hims’ premature ejaculation products.
|Product||Form||Main ingredient||Prescription needed||How it works||How to take or use||Price|
|Sertraline||tablets||sertraline||yes||manages premature ejaculation without causing numbness||at the same time every day, with or without food||starts from $24 per month|
|Sildenafil||tablets||sildenafil||yes||improves climax control||30-60 minutes before engaging in sexual activity||starts from $3 per use|
|Paroxetine||tablets||paroxetine||yes||increases climax control||every day||starts from $24 per month|
stopper Climax Delay Spray
|spray||lidocaine||no||reduces penile sensitivity||apply 10-15 minutes before sexual activity||$31|
stopper Climax Delay Wipes
|wipes||benzocaine||no||maintain longer erections and reduce sensitivity||apply and let it dry for 5 minutes before sexual activity||$19|
Other products and services Hims offers include:
At Hims, people can find different hair products that address hair loss. Below are some of them:
- Finasteride and minoxidil spray: This is a spray that contains finasteride and minoxidil that treats hair loss without taking any pills. The company claims that these types of products are less likely to cause side effects when compared to oral medications. It also states that the ingredients can help regrow hair in 3-6 months.
- Oral finasteride: Hims offers this once-a-day pill to improve hair regrowth, and it may be suitable for persons who have a receding hairline. The company suggests using this product with minoxidil for the best results.
- Biotin gummies: These gummies help strengthen the hair and nails. They also support the heart’s health and nervous system.
- Thickening shampoo: This product contains thickening ingredients such as saw palmetto to help make the hair appear fuller. It is free of parabens, sulfates, and silicones. It is also vegan and cruelty-free.
- Thickening conditioner: This is a product that moisturizes the hair and also makes the hair appear fuller. Its main ingredients are vitamin B and eucalyptus. It does not contain parabens, sulfates, or silicones, and it is vegan and cruelty-free.
- Minoxidil: People can either buy minoxidil available as foam or as a solution. They are available without a prescription, and Hims recommends using them twice per day.
Below is a comparison of the hair loss products Hims offers
|Main ingredients||How it works||Price|
|Finasteride and minoxidil spray||finasteride and minoxidil||treats hair loss and may help block dihydrotestosterone (DHT) production||not available on the website|
|Oral finasteride||finasteride||may block DHT production||not available on the website|
|Biotin gummies||biotin||thickens the hair||$16|
|Thickening shampoo||eucalyptus and saw palmetto||removes sebum and promote new hair growth||$19|
|Thickening conditioner||vitamin B and eucalyptus||moisturizes the hair and promotes a fuller look||$22|
|Minoxidil foam and solution||minoxidil||promotes a thicker-looking hair||starts at $15|
People can also purchase protein powders, vitamins, and teas on the Hims website. Some options include:
- Collagen Protein Powder: This supports bone, skin, tendon, and muscle health.
- Biotin Gummy Vitamins: These are gluten-free and may help strengthen the hair, nails, and skin.
Products to reduce acne and visible signs of aging are also available on the Hims website. Some options include:
- Anti-Aging Cream: This contains tretinoin, which increases collagen to keep the skin firm and elastic and reduce fine lines. It is only available after an online medical consultation.
- Good Night Wrinkle Cream: The company recommends that people apply this cream after cleansing their skin and using other treatments, such as those that contain tretinoin.
- Acne Cream: This prescription product may help prevent clogged pores, reduce inflammation, and keep the skin moisturized.
Below is a comparison of the skin care products Hims offers.
|Product||Main ingredients||How it works||Price|
|Custom Anti-Aging Cream||tretinoin, niacinamide, and azelaic acid||reduces visible signs of aging, such as wrinkles and fine lines||no information available|
|Good Night Wrinkle Cream||caffeine, hyaluronic acid, and shea butter||reduces puffiness and the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines||$24|
|Acne Cream||tretinoin, clindamycin, azelaic acid, zinc pyrithione, and niamicide||reduce clogged pores and inflammation||no information available|
|Vitamin C serum||vitamin C, hyaluronic extract, and orange peel extract||softens the skin and reduces wrinkles||$33|
|Everyday Moisturizer||hyaluronic acid, shea butter, and panthenol||hydrates the skin||$18|
|High Tide Cleanser||hyaluronic acid, squalene, and green tea extract||hydrates the skin and reduces irritation||$15|
|Multi-screen Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50+||zinc oxide, squalene, and glycerin||protects the skin from UV and provides moisture||$22|
Hims offers various medical treatment services and plans, including:
A person can connect with a Hims healthcare professional to discuss health symptoms and treatments without going to a doctor’s office.
The healthcare professional may send a prescription to the person’s local pharmacy, where they can buy the medication.
According to the company’s website, its doctors may offer treatment for:
- cold and flu symptoms, such as bronchitis, vomiting, and fever
- allergy symptoms, such as itchy eyes, hay fever, and sinus congestion
- infections, such as pink eye and urinary tract infections
- skin conditions, such as eczema and hives
- tension headaches
- fungal infections, such as ringworm and athlete’s foot
Hims doctors can prescribe medications for a few mental health conditions. For example, they may suggest taking:
- Citalopram (Celexa): This is an antidepressant. It can take up to 1–4 weeks for the full benefits to become noticeable.
- Fluoxetine (Prozac): This medication can treat:
- Paroxetine (Paxil): Doctors use this to treat:
The company also offers support groups for people who may wish to discuss concerns about relationships, anxiety, motivation, and insomnia.
Anyone interested in Hims might also consider one of the following brands.
- REX MD: This company specializes in male health and offers products for erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, hair loss, herpes, and other health conditions. It also provides consultations, personalized treatment plans, and unlimited follow-ups. Learn more about REX MD here.
- Roman: This platform offers online visits, customized treatment plans, and medications from accredited wholesale distributors. It helps people with erectile dysfunction, hair loss, premature ejaculation, cold sores, and genital herpes. People can use Roman’s pharmacy network or a pharmacy of their choice. Learn more about Roman here.
- Lemonaid: This company provides health treatments for people ages 18 years and older. Consultation visits cost $25 each, and there is a flat monthly fee for mental health support services. Lemonaid also offers tests for people who need to measure their blood sugar or cholesterol levels. Learn more about Lemonaid here.
- Eddie by Giddy: This brand produces wearable rings that help with erectile dysfunction. The various sizes may suit different symptoms and penis circumferences, a measurement also known as girth. Learn more about Giddy here.
The following table compares the alternative ED brands listed above:
|Viagra (sildenafil)||Cialis (tadalafil)||Stendra (avanafil)||Other ED products||Shipping||Subscriptions||Consultations|
|Hims||brand and generic starting from $3 per use||brand and generic, starting from $82 per month||brand, starting from $59 per use||none||free||monthly||free|
|REX MD||brand and generic at 25, 50, and 100 mg, starting at $10 per dose||brand and generic at 2.5, 5, 10, and 20 mg, starting at $3 per dose||not available||none||free||monthly or quarterly||free|
|Roman||brand and generic at 15, 20, 25, and 100 mg, starting from $2 per dose||brand and generic at 2.5, 5, and 20 mg, starting from $8 per dose||not available||none||free||monthly or quarterly||free|
|Lemonaid||brand and generic at 20, 25, 50, and 100 mg, starting from $2 per pill||brand at 5, 10, and 20 mg, starting from $50||not available||none||free||monthly||$25|
|Eddie by Giddy||not available||not available||not available||Eddie ring, $188||free||none||no information available|
Hims is not the only online platform for male health. It is
Different platforms offer:
- the option to connect with a doctor who may prescribe erectile dysfunction or hair loss medication
- medical devices that help maintain erections
- mental health services, including counseling
- daily health services
After finding some suitable options, a person might then consider:
- staff qualifications
- privacy policies
- the suitability of a subscription, compared with a one-off purchase
Hims offers three different types of ED medication: sildenafil, tadalafil, and avanafil which are all phosphodiesterase (PDE6) inhibitors. These inhibitors work by increasing blood flow to the penis in order to sustain an erection,
Clinical trials show ED medication to be an effective treatment for erectile dysfunction.
- Sildenafil: A
2016 studytrialed sildenafil on 11,264 men with erectile dysfunction for 12 weeks and found significant improvements in orgasm, arousal, and participant satisfaction during intercourse.
- Tadalafil: A
2016 studytrialed tadalafil with physical activity in patients with erectile dysfunction and found an improvement in arousal after taking the medication for three months.
- Avanafil: A
2016 clinical trialreviewed the effect of avanafil in patients with erectile dysfunction. In addition to improving arousal and satisfaction, avanafil has fewer side effects compared to other ED medications.
- Sertraline: A 2021 study trialed the use of sertraline on 240 patients with premature ejaculation. The researchers gave the participants 50 mg of sertraline per day, and ejaculation time showed improvement within 4-8 weeks of taking this drug.
Although ED medications can be effective,
We look at the effectiveness of different ED medications that Hims offers in more detail below:
Sildenafil is the active ingredient in Viagra. This medication is available in both generic and brand forms. Sildenafil is less expensive to purchase than Viagra.
Hims offers sildenafil starting at $4 per dose depending on strength, compared to $50-$70 per dose for Viagra.
The researchers found that sildenafil increased arousal and orgasm function in the participants. The drug was more effective the younger the participants were, with an 80% increase in those 65 years or younger, a 69% increase in those up to 74 years of age, and 59% in those 75 and older.
People who have high blood pressure or take nitrates
Tadalafil is the active ingredient in Cialis. This medication is available to purchase in both generic and brand forms.
Hims offers daily Cialis at $570 per month, compared to $240 per month for daily tadalafil.
Avanafil is the active ingredient in Stendra. This medication is available to purchase in both generic and brand forms.
Hims offers Stendra at $59 per use. The company does not offer avanafil.
The study found that 80% of participants could penetrate their partner, while 65% were successful at having sex. Researchers found little difference in efficacy between the 100 mg and 200 mg dose of avanafil.
Using Hims may help people take a more proactive approach to self-care and health. People can access healthcare professionals and request prescriptions for preventive care on the website.
- Identity: They should make sure that the company adequately protects their confidentiality.
- Credibility: They should review the timeliness and sources of the information provided, as well as the credentials of the healthcare professionals.
For long-term healthcare, it may be more beneficial to have in-person appointments with a doctor.
Anyone who may need urgent care or treatment should contact emergency services. Online companies may have delays, and the services can vary depending on a person’s location.
Also, seek medical advice before stopping any prescribed treatments. Doing so abruptly can sometimes cause serious side effects.
Below are answers to common questions about Hims.
How often can you use Hims’ products?
Hims sells various medications for erectile dysfunction, hair loss, and skin care. Each has different dosages and guidelines for use.
For example, a person should not usually take sildenafil more than once in 24 hours.
Always follow a healthcare professional’s instructions when using Hims’ products.
Is it safe to use Hims’ products with other erectile dysfunction drugs?
No, a person should not mix erectile dysfunction medications.
These drugs can interact with other medications, such as alpha-blockers. Following the guidance of a medical professional is key.
Are Hims’ products FDA-approved?
Among the many Hims’s products are some prescription medications for erectile dysfunction that do have FDA approval.
Some of its other products, such as its face cream, do not have this approval.
Can Hims be trusted?
Hims has accreditation with the Better Business Bureau, and the organization gives the company an A+ grade. In addition, Hims does not offer prescription medication unless a person undergoes an online visit with a healthcare professional through the company’s platform.
However, like all companies, Hims has mixed reviews from customers. People should carefully read the experiences of other customers before deciding whether to use this service.
Does Hims work like Viagra?
Hims is a telehealth company that offers products and prescription medication including brand-name and generic Viagra.
If a person purchases Viagra through the company, the drug will work the same as Viagra a person purchases elsewhere.
Hims is a telehealth company. A customer may find help with sexual health issues and other health concerns, without the need to visit a clinic. The company offers online consultations, personalized treatment plans, and support groups.
Before scheduling an online visit, a person may wish to consider other telehealth companies that offer similar products and services.