We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Hims and Roman are telehealth companies that sell prescription and nonprescription products to treat erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, and premature ejaculation.
A note about sex and gender
Sex and gender exist on spectrums. This article will use the terms “male,” “female,” or both to refer to sex assigned at birth. Click here to learn more.
Both ED and hair loss can cause emotional distress, but there is a range of prescription treatments available for both conditions.
Hims and Roman offer these treatments to order online.
This article looks at both brands, the products they offer, and how to order, and it answers some frequently asked questions.
Hims and Roman are both telehealth companies that provide prescription and nonprescription treatments for various conditions. They typically market their products to males.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and was correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
|Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating||accredited: A+||accredited: A-|
|Average customer rating||• 1.13 stars out of 5 on BBB|
• 4.3 stars out of 5 on Trustpilot
|• 1.75 stars out of 5 on BBB|
• 2.5 stars out of 5 on Trustpilot
|Consultation||free consultation||free initial consultation, $15 for an appointment with a healthcare professional|
|Follow-up appointments||ongoing support and care||free unlimited follow-up appointments|
|Conditions treated||• erectile dysfunction|
• hair loss
• premature ejaculation
• skin care
• anxiety and depression
|• erectile dysfunction|
• hair loss
• premature ejaculation
• testosterone support
• daily health
|ED||• sildenafil, starting from $4 per use|
• Viagra, starting from $70 per use
• Cialis, $525 per month
• tadalafil, $99 per month
• Stendra, starting from $59 per use
|• sildenafil, starting from $2 per dose|
• viagra, $70 per dose
• sildenafil, $34 per dose
• Cialis, starting from $17 per dose
• tadalafil, starting from $11 per dose
|Hair loss||• oral finasteride, starting at $26 per month|
• topical finasteride and minoxidil, starting at $50 per month
• minoxidil solution or foam, starting from $15 per month
• thickening shampoo and conditioner, starting from $19
|• oral finasteride, $20 per month|
• minoxidil, $16 per month
• finasteride and minoxidil, $35 per month
|Premature ejaculation||• Climax Delay Spray, $31 |
• sertraline and paroxetine, starting from $24 per month
|• Roman swipes, starting from $22 per month|
• sertraline, $24 per month
|Subscription||delivery monthly or every 3 months||delivery on demand, monthly, or every 3 months|
|Delivery||free delivery in discreet packaging||free delivery in discreet packaging|
|Insurance||no insurance coverage||no insurance coverage|
Hims began operating in 2017 and is headquartered in San Francisco. The company sells prescription and nonprescription treatments geared primarily toward males, including treatments for erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, and premature ejaculation. Hims has a sister company, Hers, which sells female health products.
Hims also sells skin care products, including those for anti-aging, wrinkles, and acne, and various medication treatments for mental health conditions. Hims also provides psychiatry assessments and individual and group therapy sessions.
Hims is a subscription company, and people receive their treatment every month or once every 3 months.
New York-based Roman also launched in 2017. The company sells prescription and nonprescription treatments for ED, hair loss, and premature ejaculation.
In addition, Roman offers treatments for skin conditions such as eczema and excessive sweating. It also sells various daily health supplements, including multivitamins and products for testosterone support, stress relief, and prostate health.
Roman is also a subscription company. People will receive their treatment on demand, monthly, or every 3 months.
A person should consider the potential benefits and disadvantages of using Hims or Roman.
Before making an order from Hims, a person might consider:
- There is a wide range of products for male health.
- Hims states its consultations are free.
- The company claims its shipping is free.
- People can opt for a subscription service for some medications.
- Some reviewers found customer service staff difficult to communicate with.
- Orders may take longer to arrive than those of competitors.
Before making an order from Roman, a person might consider:
- The company says it has free, fast shipping.
- Its subscription service may be convenient.
- It offers a free initial consultation.
- Some customers found canceling the subscription difficult.
- Some report that Roman is more expensive than its competitors.
Online customer reviews are mixed for Hims and Roman. Learn more about the reputation of both brands below.
Hims has an accredited page with the BBB. At the time of publishing, the BBB gave the company an A+ grade. However, customer reviews averaged 1.13 out of 5 stars.
Reviews praising Hims mention quick responses when problems occurred with orders. However, neutral and negative reviews mention difficulty canceling subscriptions, canceled appointments, and slow responses from doctors.
Reviewers on Trustpilot gave Hims an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Here, 70% of the 1,070 reviews are 5 stars.
Customers mention professional and respectful service from doctors and effective medication. However, critical reviews state customers were being charged after canceling orders, and shipping times were slower than advertised.
Positive reviews frequently mention the service’s convenience and knowledgeable doctors. Negative reviews report poor communication with customer service staff and difficulty canceling subscriptions.
Roman has accreditation with the BBB. At the time of publishing, the organization gave the company an A- grade.
However, customer reviews on the BBB website gave Roman an average rating of 1.75 stars out of 5.
At the time of publishing, there are 12 reviews on BBB. Critical reviews mention late deliveries and undelivered medication. However, positive reviews state that the company’s vitamins and ED medications are effective, and deliveries were fast.
Trustpilot reviews average at 2.5 stars out of 5, although there are very limited reviews on this page. At the time of publishing, 100% of the reviews on Trustpilot rate Roman 1 out of 5 stars.
Reviews mention slow delivery times that do not match company claims, significant price increases, and difficulties in contacting customer support teams.
Hims and Roman offer similar prescription medication for ED.
Hims has the following ED treatments available:
- Sildenafil: This
PDE5 inhibitorhelps people achieve and maintain an erection by increasing blood flow to the penis.
- Viagra: This product is brand-name sildenafil and uses the same active ingredient, sildenafil citrate.
- Stendra: This product is another PDE5 inhibitor that can help people achieve and maintain an erection.
- Cialis: This product is a PDE5 inhibitor that increases blood flow in the penis to help people achieve and maintain an erection.
- Tadalafil: This product is the generic version of Cialis.
Roman sells the following ED treatment:
- Cialis, available on a daily and as-needed basis
- tadalafil, available on a daily and as-needed basis
Hims and Roman sell prescription and nonprescription treatments for hair loss.
Hims sells the following prescription hair loss treatments:
- Oral finasteride: This pill may help prevent new hair loss by
preventingtestosterone from converting to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Higher levels of DHT can prevent new hair growth.
- Topical finasteride: Hims sells a topical version of finasteride.
- Minoxidil solution or foam: Minoxidil (Rogaine) is another treatment that may help prevent hair loss. This medication
encourages hair to remain in the growing stageand prevents hair from falling out of the follicles.
Hims also sells nonprescription hair loss products. People can buy thickening shampoo and conditioner and biotin gummies, which the company claims may help maintain hair health.
Roman has the following hair loss treatments available:
- finasteride and minoxidil
The finasteride and minoxidil pack includes topical minoxidil treatment and oral finasteride.
Both Hims and Roman also sell treatments for premature ejaculation, including wipes and sprays.
Hims offers prescription and nonprescription treatment for premature ejaculation.
Climax Delay Spray is a nonprescription desensitizing product that people can spray on their penis to delay ejaculation. Hims also offers climax delay wipes.
Hims also offers the antidepressants sertraline and paroxetine to treat premature ejaculation. While these medications are FDA-approved to treat anxiety and depression, Hims offers these antidepressants for off-label use to treat premature ejaculation.
Some companies offer medication in a way that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved, meaning the way the company prescribes the medication is not how the label recommends. This is known as off-label use. A person should contact a doctor before taking medications in this way.
Roman also sells prescription and nonprescription treatments for premature ejaculation.
Roman Swipes is a desensitizing product that people can wipe onto their penis to help delay ejaculation. It uses 4% benzocaine, which is a local anesthetic generally used for pain. The FDA has
A healthcare professional may prescribe sertraline for off-label use to treat premature ejaculation.
Hims and Roman both sell prescription and nonprescription products for a variety of conditions. A person can order nonprescription products directly from the website.
Hims prescription treatment
To order prescription treatment, people must create an account and discuss their symptoms with a licensed healthcare professional. This consultation takes place online.
If the healthcare professional finds that medication is suitable, they can write a prescription. Hims then ships the medication to the person in discreet packaging. The shipping is free, and the package arrives in 5–7 business days.
Hims offers free consultations and ongoing care. However, insurance companies do not cover the costs of these services.
Roman prescription treatment
To order prescription treatment, a person completes an online questionnaire about their medical history and symptoms and uploads a photo of their ID.
A healthcare professional reviews this questionnaire to determine the best approach and writes a prescription, if necessary.
Roman offers free follow-ups, but an online consultation with a healthcare professional costs $15. Insurance companies do not cover the costs of these sessions or treatment.
The company offers free shipping in discreet packaging. Roman writes that people will receive their packages 2–4 days after ordering, although all orders qualify for free 2-day shipping.
Hims and Roman provide safety information for all products. Below is an overview of some of the potential side effects a person may experience when taking medication from Hims or Roman.
Side effects of ED medication
Some common side effects of erectile dysfunction medication
Side effects of hair loss medication
Both Roman and Hims supply finasteride for hair loss problems. Some common side effects of finasteride
- decrease in ejaculate volume
- increase in the risk of high grade prostate cancer
If a person takes any other medication, they should inform the healthcare professional during their consultation. Certain drugs can interact with other medications, which can lead to potentially life threatening conditions.
A person can consider the following telehealth companies as alternatives to Hims and Roman:
- Keeps: Keeps offers hair loss treatments including oral finasteride, minoxidil solution and foam, ketoconazole shampoo, and a range of thickening shampoos, conditioners, and other hair products. Prices start at $10 per month, depending on the treatment a person chooses. Learn more about Keeps here.
- Lemonaid: Lemonaid provides a similar range of products to Hims and Roman, including treatments for ED, premature ejaculation, and hair loss. Prices start at $2 for Lemonaid ED medication, $1 for premature ejaculation treatment, and $60 for a 3-month supply of hair loss treatments. Learn more about Lemonaid here.
Below are some frequently asked questions about telehealth companies and ED and hair loss treatment.
Are there any other treatments for ED?
People may also consider other treatments, such as vacuum erectile devices, to help them achieve and maintain an erection. People should discuss all treatment options with their doctor.
Are there any other ways to prevent hair loss?
There are many treatments available for hair loss, including:
- Hair transplant: This procedure involves a surgeon moving healthy hair from another part of the scalp to an area with thinning hair.
- Platelet-rich plasma: This treatment involves taking blood from a person, separating the plasma from the blood, and injecting the plasma into the scalp.
- Laser devices: Some companies sell laser devices for home use that may help encourage hair growth. People should only buy products that the FDA has approved.
Are online pharmacies safe?
Pharmacies should also have a license to operate in the state where they do business and have a state-licensed pharmacist to answer customer queries.
The FDA has a list of
Hims and Roman are telehealth companies that sell health products for males. Some options include prescription ED medication, hair loss and premature ejaculation treatments, and nonprescription general health products.
Both companies offer consultations and follow-up appointments with healthcare professionals to discuss prescriptions and any side effects. Reporting any side effects is important.