We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Many brands manufacture hot massagers for people with neck and shoulder pain. These devices come in different designs, while some are also suitable for other parts of the body.
- For a massager with cruelty-free materials: Zyllion Shiatsu Back & Neck Massager
- For a percussion massager: HoMedics Percussion Action Massager
- For a lightweight massager: Viktor Jurgen Neck Massage Pillow
- For versatile placement: Comfier Shiatsu Back Massager Seat Cushion
- For a wearable massager: Atombud Intelligent Neck Massager
However, heat therapy may not be safe for certain individuals. Those who have had a neck or spine injury or are receiving cancer treatment should seek the advice of their doctor before using a hot massager.
Hot massagers are devices that can provide pain relief to different body areas.
They can be beneficial for individuals who spend long hours in front of a computer screen and those who have improper posture when working at a desk. Improper posture can cause the following:
Some massagers are also portable, meaning people can use them in different settings, such as at home or work. Individuals can also choose a device that they tie to a chair or wrap around their neck.
Additionally, someone can also use handheld massagers to target hard-to-reach areas.
People can consider the advantages and disadvantages of hot massagers before purchasing one.
- Heat therapy may loosen stiff joints and ease pain.
- Some devices are cordless, allowing for easy use and portability.
- Some devices have an auto-shutoff feature to prevent overheating.
- Some massagers are heavy and may be difficult to use.
- The heat function may be too hot for some users.
- People may have difficulty controlling larger handheld devices and may require help.
How we choose products
Medical News Today chooses products that meet the following criteria:
- Price: Products are available in a wide range of budgets.
- Features: Products come with beneficial features, such as an auto-shutoff, an overheating protection mechanism, and adjustable straps.
- Suitability: Products suit a range of needs, such as portability and extra heat functions.
The following are factors to consider before purchasing a hot massager:
- Compatibility: Some companies produce hot massagers that are compatible with chairs. A person may wish to check the types of chairs they can use with the device.
- Auto shut-off feature: Some hot massagers have an auto shut-off feature, which can be useful if an individual forgets to turn the device off. Additionally, some products have an overheating protection mechanism that may reduce the risk of injury.
- Removable dust cloths: People can buy a hot massager that comes with a removable dust cloth. This helps protect the skin as it does not make direct contact with heat, and a person can easily remove it for cleaning.
- Design: Individuals can choose handheld devices or ones they can tie to a chair. Massagers that feature an ergonomic rubber handle can help the user treat hard-to-reach areas.
There are several hot massagers available to buy online that may ease neck and shoulder pain.
Please note, the writer has not tested these products. All information is research-based.
This compact pillow massager is compatible with office chairs, car seats, and sofas. The massager’s heat function can reportedly improve blood circulation.
The massager also has adjustable straps and consists of cruelty-free leather. It also features an overheat protection mechanism to prevent injury and an auto-shutoff function that turns the device off after 20 minutes.
This product weighs 3.5 pounds (lb), and its dimensions are 13 x 9.5 x 3.5 inches (in).
Zyllion offers a 1-year warranty on the Shiatsu Back & Neck Massager. Additionally, the company has a registration with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
This handheld product features dual pivoting heads that come with four speeds and an ergonomic handle that allows users to target hard-to-reach areas.
The HoMedics Percussion Action Massager has firm and soft massage attachments, although the company recommends using the device without any attachments to feel more heat.
This device uses a percussion action, which means the nodules rapidly move up and down to massage the skin. People can also use the massager with or without the heat function.
The HoMedics Percussion Action Massager weighs 2.48 lb, and its dimensions are 17.13 x 5.94 x 5.51 in. HoMedics also offers a 2-year limited warranty on this device.
Viktor Jurgen’s neck massage pillow has 3D rotating massage nodes. It has a heating function that reportedly improves blood circulation and soothes tired muscles.
This product comes with a removable dust cloth to protect the skin from friction. It also features an overheating protection mechanism and adjustable handle straps.
The Viktor Jurgen Neck Massage Pillow weighs 2.9 lb, and its dimensions are 17 x 5 x 14 in.
This massager features a vibration seat massage with three adjustable intensity levels and an optional heat function. Its strapping system allows the user to attach it to any type of chair, such as a recliner, sofa, or couch.
The Shiatsu Back Massager Seat Cushion has four rotating nodes, a remote control, and a flap to switch between a soft or intense massage.
Comfier offers a 30-day return policy on this product.
The Comfier Shiatsu Back Massager Seat Cushion weighs 8.9 lb, and its dimensions are 25.75 x 18.5 x 5 in.
The Atombud Intelligent Neck Massager loops around the neck to provide cervical spine massage.
This device features three massage modes and heats up to 107°F (41.6°C). It also has a pinch mode for acupuncture and tapping, a shock mode for massage, and automatic power-off protection. People can additionally control the modes and heat with the product’s remote control.
Atombud recommends that individuals wipe their necks with a wet towel before using this massager.
This product is not suitable for those who have a pacemaker as the device uses electrical impulses.
The Atombud Intelligent Neck Massager weighs 5.6 ounces.
The Arthritis Foundation (AF) states that heat treatments can help loosen stiff joints and relieve aching muscles. When a person applies heat to a sore joint, it causes the blood vessels to widen, allowing more blood and oxygen to flow to the injured tissues.
The AF says that individuals should not use heat therapy if they have an acute injury or a flare-up of arthritis symptoms. The organization recommends that people use cold therapy if they have swelling and redness, as it can reduce blood flow and inflammation.
AF also recommends cold therapy can be helpful if soreness occurs after exercising, and individuals should wait a few hours before alternating hot and cold therapy.
While hot massagers may help with pain, it is important to see a healthcare professional if a person has the following symptoms:
- neck pain that does not go away after a few weeks
- over-the-counter pain medication does not reduce the pain
- tingling, numbness, or a cold arm
Hot massagers are devices that people can use to relieve back and neck pain. Individuals can also try the following as alternative pain relief methods:
Researchnotes that exercising can help with increasing blood flow to the lower back. It can also reduce stiffness and may decrease the time a person needs to recover from injury. Learn more about exercise.
- Taking pain relief medications: A person can take ibuprofen to relieve pain. According to the United Kingdom’s National Health Service (NHS), this drug can also treat inflammation due to sprains or strains.
- Getting enough sleep: Research indicates that people who do not get enough sleep can experience more pain, which can lead to stress and fatigue. Learn tips on how to get to sleep.
Hot massagers can be beneficial devices for individuals looking to relieve muscle pain and soreness. Before purchasing a massager, people may wish to consider various factors, such as safety features and functions.
However, hot massagers may not be suitable for all individuals. People who undergo cancer treatment should speak with their doctor about any home remedies for their pain to ensure they are safe to use.