The average distance and volume of ejaculate can vary from person to person. There are several factors that can influence how far a person can shoot ejaculate, and the volume they can produce.
In general, younger males tend to have more forceful ejaculations, while the average volume of ejaculate is roughly 2–5 cubic centimeters, which is up to the volume of a teaspoon.
This article explores the average volume, distance, force of ejaculate, and what factors affect them.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the median semen volume is
The International Society for Sexual Medicine suggest males expel, on average, 1.25 to 5 ml of semen each time they ejaculate. This is roughly 1/4 to 1 teaspoon.
The volume a person ejaculates can affect how far it travels. Larger volumes may also create the illusion that ejaculate travels farther than it does. For most people, semen may travel up to a few feet.
Various internet sources may make claims for how forcefully and far a person can ejaculate. The porn industry may also contribute to this misinformation. However, there is no recent, credible, or reliable scientific research into how forcefully semen comes out or the distance it can cover.
People may notice sometimes they ejaculate more, or their ejaculate comes out more forcefully. Several factors influence this, including:
- Age: Males tend to ejaculate the largest volume of semen in their thirties. As they age, this volume decreases.
- Sexual activity: Recent sexual activity, including masturbation, may decrease semen volume, which potentially reduces the distance semen can travel. Prolonged periods of abstinence may cause a person to produce more semen than their usual amount.
- Genetic factors: Genetics play a role in most aspects of health, including the volume of semen. Some people naturally ejaculate more or less compared to others, regardless of health or lifestyle.
- Lifestyle factors: Diet, smoking, and many other
lifestyle factorscan affect semen quality and overall health. For example, most research shows regular exercise may improve fertility and sperm quality, and studies suggest it may increase semen volume.
- Overall health: General health may affect semen volume. For example, a person with a chronic illness, such as diabetes, might notice a change in their semen. Hormonal issues may also influence semen quality.
A person with a penis can ejaculate again as soon as they can feel arousal after sex or masturbation. So, the main factor that determines how often they can ejaculate is how quickly they regain interest in sex after they orgasm.
Some people with a penis may be able to ejaculate up to five times in a single session. During a marathon masturbation or sex session, they may be able to ejaculate more. However, they should stop if they begin to experience pain.
When a person ejaculates multiple times in a short period, their ejaculate volume may decrease.
The refractory period is the time during which a person is no longer sexually responsive. For some people, it can last a few minutes. For others, it could be hours or even days.
During this time, sexual stimulation is not pleasurable, and may even be painful. A person with a penis is usually unable to get an erection, orgasm, or ejaculate, even with sexual stimulation.
The length of the refractory period often correlates with age and overall health. Older males tend to have longer refractory periods, between 12–24 hours or longer, while in younger males it may be a few minutes.
There is no direct way to shorten the refractory period. However, a person may wish to try strategies to improve sexual functioning or try different methods, such as:
- Embracing a healthful lifestyle: Living a more healthful lifestyle, with
exerciseand a healthful diet, may help with sexual function.
- Kegel exercises: Pelvic floor exercises may help improve sexual function.
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) medication: Some studies suggest ED drugs may help shorten the refractory period, while others report no difference.
- Try different stimulation: Some people may find different types of sexual stimulation after ejaculation may help revive their interest quicker.
There is no specific health benefit associated with ejaculating further or producing more ejaculate. However,
Those who want to ejaculate larger volumes should try the following:
- Exercising more: Exercise may improve semen quality.
Some studiesshow that moderate exercise increases semen volume.
- Masturbating less often: More time between ejaculations usually increases semen volume.
- Engaging in foreplay: People can use foreplay to delay ejaculation and make sex last longer. While there is no recent research that tests this recommendation, anecdotal evidence suggests some people ejaculate more with more foreplay.
- Doing kegel exercises: These exercises strengthen the pelvic floor, which helps a person ejaculate. To find these muscles, a person should start urinating and then stop. They should hold for 10 seconds and start again. They can repeat this movement whenever possible, not just when urinating.
On average, a person may be able to ejaculate up to a teaspoon of semen to a distance of a few feet.
Misleading information on ejaculate volume or the ability to shoot semen far may cause insecurities in some people. However, this information is unrealistic, while the ability to do so has no real benefit.
Men who worry that their refractory period is too long, or experience trouble with other aspects of ejaculation or sex should consult a doctor.