The average volume of ejaculate is up to one teaspoon, and younger males tend to have more forceful ejaculations. Age, genetic features, and other factors can affect the volume and distance of ejaculation.
In general, younger males tend to have more forceful ejaculations, while the average volume of ejaculate is roughly 2–5 cubic centimeters, which is up to the volume of a teaspoon.
This article explores the average volume, distance, force of ejaculate, and what factors affect them.
A note about sex and gender
Sex and gender exist on spectrums. This article will use the terms “male,” “female,” or both to refer to sex assigned at birth. Click here to learn more.
The International Society for Sexual Medicine suggests males expel, on average, 1.25–5 milliliters (ml) of semen each time they ejaculate. This is roughly ¼ to 1 teaspoon.
The volume a person ejaculates can affect how far it travels. Larger volumes may also create the illusion that ejaculate travels farther than it does.
Various internet sources may make claims about how forcefully and far a person can ejaculate. The porn industry may also contribute to this misinformation.
However, there is no recent, credible, or reliable scientific research into how forcefully semen comes out or the distance it can cover.
People may notice that sometimes they ejaculate more, or their ejaculate comes out more forcefully. Several factors can influence this, including:
- Age: Males tend to ejaculate the largest volume of semen in their early thirties. As they age, this volume decreases.
- Sexual activity: Recent sexual activity, including masturbation, may decrease semen volume, which potentially reduces the distance semen can travel. Prolonged periods of abstinence
may causea person to produce more semen than their usual amount.
- Genetic factors: Genetics play a role in most aspects of health, including semen volume. Some people naturally ejaculate more or less compared to others, regardless of health or lifestyle.
- Lifestyle factors: Diet, smoking, and many other lifestyle factors
can affectsemen quality and overall health. For example, research suggests moderate exercise may improvefertility and sperm quality.
- Overall health: General health may affect semen volume. For example, a person with a chronic illness, such as diabetes, might notice a change in their semen. Hormonal issues may also influence semen quality.
Many adult males do not ejaculate any more often than once per day, and the weekly or monthly ejaculation frequency
A person with a penis can ejaculate again as soon as they can feel arousal after sex or masturbation. So, the main factor that determines how often a person can ejaculate is how quickly they regain interest in sex after they orgasm.
Some people with a penis may be able to ejaculate
During a marathon masturbation or sex session, they may be able to ejaculate more. However, they should stop if they begin to experience pain.
When a person ejaculates multiple times in a short period, their ejaculate volume may decrease.
During this time, sexual stimulation is not pleasurable and may even be painful. A person with a penis is usually unable to get an erection, orgasm, or ejaculate, even with sexual stimulation.
The length of the refractory period often correlates with age and overall health. Older males tend to have longer refractory periods, between 12–24 hours or longer.
There is no direct way to shorten the refractory period. However, a person may wish to try strategies to improve sexual functioning or try different methods, such as:
- Embracing a healthful lifestyle: Living a more healthful lifestyle, with
exerciseand a healthful diet, may help with sexual function.
- Kegel exercises: Pelvic floor exercises may affect sexual function.
- Erectile dysfunction medication: Some erectile dysfunction medications may help shorten the refractory period. However, further research is necessary.
- Try different stimulation: Some people may find different types of sexual stimulation after ejaculation may help revive their interest quicker.
Those who want to ejaculate larger volumes should try the following:
- Exercising more: Exercise may improve semen quality. Some forms of moderate exercise
may increasefertility and semen volume.
- Masturbating less often: Leaving more time between ejaculations may increase semen volume.
- Engaging in foreplay: People can use foreplay to delay ejaculation and make sex last longer. While there is no recent research that tests this recommendation, anecdotal evidence suggests some people ejaculate more with more foreplay.
- Doing kegel exercises: These exercises strengthen the pelvic floor, which helps a person ejaculate.
- Weight loss: Maintaining or achieving a moderate weight may help a person ejaculate more.
- Diabetes management: Diabetes
can causedecreased ejaculation volume and other related complications. Condition management may improve these complications.
Below are some common questions about ejaculate volume and distance.
What is the average to ejaculate?
Most males ejaculate up to 1 teaspoon, or 1.25–5 ml, of semen. However, factors such as age, overall health, and genetics can influence semen volume.
Is it normal to ejaculate a large amount?
Factors such as strengthening the pelvic floor, increasing the time between ejaculations, and engaging in moderate exercise can lead to larger volumes of ejaculate.
People can speak with a healthcare professional if they are concerned about the amount they ejaculate.
What is the largest ejaculate volume?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the top percentile of semen volume is around 6.2–6.9 ml, which is just over 1 teaspoon.
On average, a person may be able to ejaculate up to a teaspoon of semen to a distance of a few feet.
Misleading information on ejaculate volume or the ability to shoot semen far may cause insecurities in some people. However, this information is unrealistic, and the ability to do so has no real benefit.
Men who worry that their refractory period is too long or experience trouble with other aspects of ejaculation or sex should consult a doctor.