Aloe vera is a succulent plant that contains several medicinal properties. Most commonly, people use aloe vera to soothe skin injuries.
Some online claims and anecdotal evidence suggests that aloe vera may be useful for male enhancement and sexual dysfunction. However, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims.
This article will look at aloe vera in more detail, including its potential benefits. It will also discuss some alternative products that people may wish to consider.
Aloe vera is a short-stemmed shrub with long green leaves. These leaves contain a gel that mainly consists of water. Currently, the aloe vera plant grows all over the world in tropical climates.
It has a long history of medicinal use. According to the National Institutes of Health, aloe vera may be beneficial for:
- Moisturization: Research highlights that the aloe vera plant has moisturizing properties for the skin.
- Burns: An older systematic review suggests that aloe vera is beneficial for treating burns.
- Inflammation: Aloe vera contains compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Chronic ulcers: A 2016 study that looked at the effect of aloe vera in people with chronic ulcers suggests that it leads to faster wound healing than conventional treatments.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): For people experiencing GERD, taking aloe vera syrup in a capsule may be an effective treatment.
- Oral health: Due to the antimicrobial properties of aloe vera, it may be useful in oral healthcare.
Male enhancement refers to any technique or supplement that enhances penis size, sexual stamina, or sex drive. Some people may also use this term to refer to any method that may help a male last longer before ejaculating.
A 2014 study that looked at the effects of injecting aloe vera into mice found that it increased testosterone and sperm production. However, a later study stated that aloe vera may reduce sperm count in rats.
Currently, no scientific research has explored the effects of aloe vera on sexual function in human males. More studies are necessary to confirm the effectiveness of aloe vera for the purpose of male enhancement.
Applying a product containing aloe vera directly to the penis is unlikely to cause any negative side effects. However, if the product contains other ingredients, such as alcohol, this may cause the penis to become irritated.
Some people are allergic to aloe vera. Males should always do a patch test to find out whether or not they are allergic to it before applying it to the penis.
Aloe vera is available in several different forms as over-the-counter products. These include:
- Gels: A person can normally apply a gel directly to the skin. Some products may require a person to rub the gel in, while others may require a person to apply a thin layer that simply absorbs into the skin.
- Juice: If a person wants to consume aloe vera orally, they may consider purchasing aloe vera juice. However, caution is necessary, as the juice can have a laxative effect. A person should always follow the manufacturers’ instructions when using aloe vera juice.
- Supplements: Aloe vera supplements tend to come in capsule form, and they are often available in health stores. However, a person should seek medical advice when it comes to taking supplements.
Although aloe vera may not be useful for male enhancement, there are several other products and treatments that people may wish to try.
The following sections will look at these in more detail.
These sprays work by applying a local anesthetic to the head and shaft of the penis. Desensitization sprays can help males last longer before ejaculating, as it lessens the sensation of sexual stimulation.
Jelqing is a technique that stretches the penis and forces blood to the tip. A male may do this to try to make their penis appear longer, but there is no scientific evidence to suggest that this works.
Undergoing surgery to increase the size of the penis is an extreme last resort. It is usually an option for males who are experiencing severe distress due to the size of their penis.
This is typically due to a condition called micropenis or because of a medical emergency.
A male may want to enhance their penis if they are self-conscious about the size or they believe that it might result in better satisfaction for their partner.
It is very rare that a male’s penis is small or skinny enough to affect sexual functioning and partner gratification.
In a study looking at sexual satisfaction among females, the participants did not consider penis size important. However, other factors they deemed important for sexual satisfaction included:
- the age of their partner
- the length of time they had been together
Male enhancement refers to any method that may make a penis longer or harder. Alternatively, it may refer to methods that help a male engage in longer sessions of sexual activity before ejaculating.
Although anecdotal evidence suggests that aloe vera may be useful for male enhancement, there has been no scientific research exploring this in humans.
Typically, there is little evidence behind any technique that claims to increase penis size.
However, there are several other products and techniques available that people may wish to try if they want to have more satisfactory sex.