We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
To choose the best mattress, a person needs to consider their unique needs and preferences and do their research into different options.
This article outlines some factors to consider when choosing a mattress. It also offers a list of bestselling mattresses from leading United States brands and discusses how mattresses affect sleep health.
A few factors that a person may wish to consider when choosing a mattress include:
- Size: A mattress should fit the size of a person’s bedframe. Some sizes include twin, full, king, queen, and super king. Some brands also cater to children by offering toddler-size and crib mattresses.
- Firmness: Mattress firmness levels include soft, medium-firm, and firm. Older research shows that medium-firm mattresses promote sleep quality, comfort, and spinal alignment. However, many people may prefer a softer or firmer feel.
- Materials and styles: Some individuals may find memory foam mattresses comfortable, while others may prefer a spring, latex, or hybrid design that combines these styles.
- Durability: A person should change their mattress when it begins to show signs of wear. With this in mind, they may wish to purchase a durable model for cost-effectiveness.
- Environmental impact: Some customers may wish to consider an eco-friendly mattress. Some mattresses and foams may feature organic certifications such as CertiPUR-US or GREENGUARD Gold.
- Cost: A person may wish to explore various mattress brands to find a good quality product that meets their needs and budget.
- Warranty and returns: Consider the warranty period and returns policy before making a final purchase.
Each person will have unique needs and preferences for mattresses. Therefore, it may take some trial and error to find the best one.
The below quiz can help people determine what type of mattress may suit their needs and preferences best:
Below are a few examples and features of bestselling mattresses from top brands.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
Saatva Classic Mattress
This mattress is available in seven sizes and two height settings.
A person can also select the comfort level of this bed when they order. Saatva offer some guidelines on the firmness levels to better suit certain people:
- Plush Soft: Saatva claim this is suitable for smaller people, those who are underweight, side sleepers, and those who prefer a softer feel mattress.
- Luxury Firm: The company’s most popular firmness level. Saatva state this is ideal for sleepers of any position as well as couples who cannot agree on a firmness level.
- Firm: The brand suggest this comfort level is suitable for sleepers who prefer a firm feel as well as back and stomach sleepers, people who are overweight or have obesity, and individuals whose doctor has recommended a firm mattress.
The top layer of the Saatva Classic mattress consists of breathable, organic, and hypoallergenic cotton that is Global Organic Textile Standard-certified. The company claim this layer also provides support and pressure relief.
In addition, all Saatva bed foams are CertiPUR-US-certified. The company also state this model has approval from the Congress of Chiropractic State Associations.
Finally, this bed comes with a 180-night home trial and a 15-year warranty.
Casper Original Mattress
The Casper Original Mattress is available in six sizes. A customer can also buy the mattress as an all-foam or foam and springs variant.
The Casper Original Mattress features a three-layer design, each with the following functions:
- Top layer: Comprises a breathable foam that helps circulate air. It allows for body heat and humidity to escape, which may make it suitable for hot sleepers.
- Middle layer: Features zoned support, meaning it is soft under the shoulders to provide upper body relief while being firmer around the hips, waist, and lower back for improved spinal alignment.
- Bottom layer: This differs depending on which material the customer chooses. The all-foam model provides support to the whole body and prevents sinking. In contrast, the hybrid model’s bottom layer features springs that provide support, lift, and airflow.
In addition, all Casper bed foams have CertiPUR-US certification.
The bed also comes with:
- a 100-night trial
- free delivery
- a 10-year limited warranty
Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
This mattress is available in six sizes and has a medium-firm feel. The company claim this model is suitable for any bed frame.
In addition, the Nectar Memory Foam Mattress features a quilted cooling cover made from Tencel for enhanced airflow. This means it may suit people who get too warm as they sleep.
The model also features a five-layer foam design. The bottom layer comprises supportive foam, which Nectar claim minimizes motion transfer, making it suitable for couples or people sharing beds.
The company also say the mattress helps with spinal alignment for all body types. In addition, all the bed foams they use have CertiPUR-US certification for their environmentally-friendly and low-emission design.
The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress also comes with:
- a 1-year home trial
- a lifetime warranty
- free shipping
Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress
This hypoallergenic and nontoxic mattress features a gel foam design, which Purple claim has many benefits:
- The gel grid flexes under pressure, so when a person readjusts their position, the gel grid reforms.
- The gel grid contains many air channels for improved temperature regulation.
- The hyperelastic polymer is durable. Purple state this makes their mattresses long-lasting and more likely to last longer than other mattresses.
- The grid cradles a person’s pressure points and supports their entire body.
The Hybrid Premier Mattress model is available in six sizes, while customers can choose their desired grid height. Purple say the lower option is suitable for those who switch positions in the night and couples with differing firmness preferences. In contrast, the company recommend the lower grid height for side sleepers and those with overweight or obesity.
Purple also state that they wrap each of the Hybrid Premier’s spring coils with noise-reducing fabric.
It also comes with:
- a 100-night trial
- free shipping and returns
- a 10-year warranty
The National Sleep Foundation (NSF) say that a good night’s sleep is vital for a person’s health.
They also state that not getting enough sleep may lead to:
With this in mind, the NSF recommend that adults aged 16–64 years get 7–9 hours of sleep per night, while older adults get 7–8 hours of sleep per night.
- going to sleep and waking at consistent times every day, including weekends
- keeping the bedroom quiet, dark, and at a comfortable temperature
- avoiding using electronic devices in the bedroom
- avoiding large meals and caffeine or alcohol before bedtime
- engaging in physical activity during the day
A 2018 study investigating the benefits of memory foam mattresses found that participants slept better and had lower body pressure compared with other mattress types.
However, there is limited research to suggest which mattress type is the best overall for sleep quality.
A person needs to consider a variety of factors in choosing the right mattress for them.
It is important to take into account their personal needs and preferences. They can then research different mattress brands to find the most suitable model.