We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
To choose the best mattress, a person needs to consider their unique needs and preferences and research different options.
Modern mattresses contain a variety of materials, each designed to offer support and comfort. However, a person may find that some materials suit their needs and preferences better than others.
Some mattress types include:
Below are a few examples of bestselling mattresses from top brands.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
This mattress is available in seven sizes and two height settings.
A person can also select the comfort level of this bed when they order. Saatva offers some guidelines on the firmness levels to better suit certain people:
- Plush Soft: Saatva claims this is suitable for smaller people, those who are underweight, side sleepers, and those who prefer a softer feel mattress.
- Luxury Firm: This is the company’s most popular firmness level. Saatva states this is ideal for sleepers of any position and couples who cannot agree on a firmness level.
- Firm: The brand suggests this comfort level is appropriate for sleepers who prefer a firm feel, back and stomach sleepers, people who are overweight or have obesity, and individuals whom a doctor advised to use a firm mattress.
The top layer of the Saatva Classic Mattress consists of breathable, organic, and hypoallergenic cotton that is Global Organic Textile Standard-certified. The company claims that this layer provides support and pressure relief.
This mattress comes with a 180-night home trial and a 15-year warranty.
The Casper Original Mattress is available in six sizes. Customers can also buy the mattress as an all-foam or foam-and-springs variant.
The Casper Original Mattress features a three-layer design, each with the following functions:
- Top layer: This layer comprises a breathable foam that helps circulate air. It allows body heat and humidity to escape, which may make it suitable for hot sleepers.
- Middle layer: The layer features zoned support, meaning it is soft under the shoulders to provide upper body relief while being firmer around the hips, waist, and lower back for improved spinal alignment.
- Bottom layer: This differs depending on which material the customer chooses. The all-foam model provides support to the whole body and prevents sinking. In contrast, the hybrid model’s bottom layer features springs that provide support, lift, and airflow.
In addition, all Casper bed foams have CertiPUR-US certification.
The bed also comes with a:
- 100-night trial
- free delivery
- 10-year limited warranty
This mattress is available in six sizes and has a medium-firm feel. The company claims this model is suitable for any bed frame.
In addition, the Nectar Memory Foam Mattress features a quilted, cooling cover made from Tencel for enhanced airflow. This means it may suit people who get too warm when they sleep.
The model also features a five-layer foam design. The bottom layer comprises supportive foam, which Nectar claims minimizes motion transfer, making it suitable for couples or people sharing a bed.
The company also says the mattress helps with spinal alignment for all body types. In addition, all the bed foams it uses have CertiPUR-US certification for its environmentally friendly, low-emission design.
The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress also comes with:
- a 1-year home trial
- a lifetime warranty
- free shipping
This hypoallergenic, nontoxic mattress features a gel foam design, which Purple claims has many benefits:
- The gel grid flexes under pressure, so when a person readjusts their position, the gel grid reforms.
- The gel grid contains many air channels for improved temperature regulation.
- The hyperelastic polymer is durable. Purple states this makes its mattresses more likely to last longer than other mattresses.
- The grid cradles a person’s pressure points and supports their entire body.
The Hybrid Premier Mattress model is available in six sizes, and customers can choose their desired grid height.
Purple claims the lower option is suitable for those who switch positions during sleep and for couples with differing firmness preferences. In contrast, the company recommends the lower grid height for side sleepers and for those with a higher body mass index (BMI).
Purple also states that it wraps each of the Hybrid Premier spring coils with noise-reducing fabric.
The mattress also comes with:
- a 100-night trial
- free shipping and returns
- a 10-year warranty
The quiz below can help people determine what type of mattress may suit their needs and preferences best.
A few factors that a person may wish to consider when choosing a mattress include:
- Size: A mattress should fit the size of a person’s bed frame. Some sizes include twin, full, king, queen, and super king. Some brands also cater to children by offering toddler-sized and crib mattresses.
- Firmness: Mattress firmness levels include soft, medium-firm, and firm. Older research shows that medium-firm mattresses promote sleep quality, comfort, and spinal alignment. However, many people may prefer a softer or firmer feel.
- Materials and styles: Some individuals may find memory foam mattresses comfortable, while others may prefer a spring, latex, or hybrid design that combines these styles.
- Durability: A person should change their mattress when it begins to show signs of wear. With this in mind, they may wish to purchase a durable model for cost effectiveness.
- Environmental impact: Some customers may wish to consider an eco-friendly mattress. Some mattresses and foams may feature organic certifications, such as CertiPUR-US or Greenguard Gold.
- Cost: A person may wish to explore various mattress brands to find a good quality product that meets their needs and budget.
- Warranty and returns: It is advisable to consider the warranty period and return policy before making a purchase.
Each person will have unique needs and preferences for mattresses. Therefore, it may take some trial and error to find the most suitable one.
According to the National Sleep Foundation (NSF), a good night’s sleep is vital for a person’s health, and not getting enough sleep may lead to:
The NSF recommends that people aged 16–64 years get 7–9 hours of sleep per night and that older adults get 7–8 hours of sleep per night.
- going to sleep and waking at consistent times every day, including weekends
- keeping the bedroom quiet, dark, and at a comfortable temperature
- avoiding using electronic devices in the bedroom
- avoiding large meals and caffeine or alcohol before bedtime
- engaging in physical activity during the day
Below, we look at some commonly asked questions about choosing a mattress.
How do I know which mattress is best for me?
A person may consider their current mattress and think about the qualities and features they like and what might make it better.
For example, they could require less or more support for a specific area of the body or a better cooling material if they run hot while sleeping.
Choosing a mattress with a trial period may benefit individuals who are looking to try different options.
Which mattress should I buy for my sleeping position?
The following table shows the types of mattresses a person may find most suitable for the position they sleep in.
|Sleeping position||Mattress type|
|side and back sleepers||soft or medium|
|back and front sleepers||medium, medium-firm, firm, very firm|
|combination sleepers||medium-firm, firm|
Do I need a mattress topper?
Mattress toppers typically provide added levels of comfort to a mattress and are not a requirement.
If a person chooses a mattress topper, it may be to provide a cooling effect, add some firmness or softness, or enhance an existing mattress feature.
A person needs to consider a variety of factors when choosing the right mattress.
It is important that they take into account their personal needs and preferences. They can then research different mattress brands to find the most suitable model.