We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Hyaluronic acid is a common ingredient in skin care products, but the body is also able to produce it naturally. Hyaluronic acid is popular in moisturizers because it can soothe and hydrate the skin, and people can use it alongside other ingredients that add to the hydrating effect of this type of moisturizer.
- Best for all skin types: Tatcha The Dewy Serum
- Best for vegans: The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA
- Best for overnight use: PCA Skin Hyaluronic Acid Overnight Mask
- Best for improving skin tone: Eau Thermale Avène RetrinAL DAY Cream
- Best for dry skin: Éminence Firm Skin Acai Moisturizer
- Best for promoting clear skin: BeautyStat Universal Pro-Bio Moisture Boost Cream
- Best for dark spots: Peach & Lily Starlit Glow Highlighting Moisturizer
- Best for sensitive skin: Peach & Lily Repair Moisture Cream from Troxederm
- Best for under eye skin: Skin Authority Under Eye Rescue Mask
Hyaluronic acid is a molecule that is present in the skin and joints throughout the human body. It performs many
As people age, levels of hyaluronic acid tend to decrease in the outer layer of their skin, or the epidermis. This reduction in hyaluronic acid can contribute to skin aging by making the skin drier and less elastic.
Hyaluronic acid is very effective at retaining water and can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water molecules. This characteristic makes it a frequent choice for use in skin care products, such as hyaluronic acid moisturizers.
The beneficial activities of hyaluronic acid include:
- improving skin hydration
- stimulating the production of collagen and elastin
- lubricating the joints
- reducing wrinkles
- improving skin texture
- making the skin more supple
Hyaluronic acid is considered a generally safe material, but there are some risks associated with its use, such as:
- suppression of immune function
A person can look for the following characteristics to help them find a hyaluronic moisturizer that meets their needs:
- Amount of hyaluronic acid: A person can check the percentage of hyaluronic acid the product contains.
- Molecular weight of the hyaluronic acid: A person may wish to consider moisturizers that have the right molecular weight for their intended use, such as a smaller weight for moisturizers that are designed to affect the deeper layers of the skin and a larger molecular weight for moisturizers that target the epidermis. This is according to a 2015 study.
- Ingredients: A person can also look for products made with active ingredients that deliver benefits that have been backed up by research.
Medical News Today chooses products that meet the following criteria:
- Price: Products are available for a wide range of budgets.
- Ingredients: Products list all ingredients clearly.
- Skin concerns: Products target a specific skin concern, such as dryness, oiliness, or aging.
- Safety: Products contain ingredients that are safe for topical use.
- Reputable: Products are from businesses that adhere to industry best practices.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented here is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Best for all skin types
Tatcha claims that this 3-in-1 serum is suitable for all skin types. It is made with the company’s own complex, Hadasei-3. The serum works to resurface the skin by removing dead skin cells and replenish the skin’s stores of squalane and hyaluronic acid.
The company also states that the product encourages natural skin cell turnover, makes the skin seem plumper, and locks in moisture.
The company claims that this serum does not block the pores or contain synthetic fragrances.
This moisturizer costs $88 for a 1-ounce (oz) container.
Best for vegans
This hyaluronic acid moisturizer contains amino acids, glycerin, fatty acids, triglycerides, and hyaluronic acid. The company calls this combination of ingredients Natural Moisturizing Factors, and it is designed to keep the outer layer of the skin protected and hydrated.
The online product description states that the moisturizer is non-greasy and contains 11 amino acids. Also, according to the product description, this moisturizer is vegan, alcohol-free, and cruelty-free.
The company advises users to conduct a patch test before applying it to their faces.
The cost is $5.80 per 30-milliliter (ml) container and $7.70 per 100-ml container.
Best for overnight use
Made to help hydrate and revitalize the skin overnight, this product contains niacinamide and tree bark extract as well as hyaluronic acids of different molecular weights.
The company claims that it is suitable for all skin types and that it is designed to prevent and repair the signs of aging skin. A person can use this cream overnight, and the natural ingredients included in the formula are there to calm and soothe the skin to encourage a restful night’s sleep.
The cost is $69 for a 1.8-fluid ounce (fl oz) container.
Best for improving skin tone
The company website says that this product firms the skin, smooths wrinkles, and nourishes the skin.
In addition to hyaluronic acid, other active ingredients include vitamin E for its antioxidant properties, mother of pearl to improve skin tone, brown algae extract for a lifting effect, and the company’s own spring water to soothe the skin.
A person can buy a 1.01-fl oz container for $55.
Best for dry skin
Made specifically for aging skin, this product is designed to hydrate the skin to make it look younger, seem plumper, and feel softer.
This cream costs $59 per 2-oz jar.
Best for promoting clear skin
This moisturizer is designed to be lightweight and non-greasy. Along with hyaluronic acid, this moisturizer contains fermented Bifidus, reishi mushroom extract, ceramides, and pomegranate sterols. It aims to promote clear skin and make fine lines and wrinkles less visible.
A 1-oz jar costs $50, and a 1.7-oz jar costs $70.
Best for dark spots
This moisturizer provides both skin care and makeup. It contains diamond powder, which, according to Peach & Lily, provides a light shimmer to the moisturizer.
The formula includes extracts of bamboo, licorice, ginger, peach Coptis root, and Camellia. The company claims that these ingredients help this cream improve saggy, dry, and dull skin. It may also work against dark spots.
The online product description states that this highlighting moisturizer is suitable for vegans and cruelty-free.
A person can buy a 2.82-oz tube for $11.99.
Best for sensitive skin
First designed for people experiencing very sensitive and dry skin after operations, this product uses black soybean, Camellia leaf extract, and oatmeal as well as hyaluronic acid to prevent inflammation. The product description describes this cream as soothing, nourishing, and hydrating, and the company advises people to use this cream as the final step in their skin care routine.
According to online reviews, users appreciate its lightweight and non-greasy feeling.
It costs $50 for a 1.7-fl oz container.
Best for under eye skin
This product uses hyaluronic, fruit, and amino acids to target dark circles and fine wrinkles under the eyes.
The active ingredients are infused into a biodegradable contour mask that a person can place under their eyes for 15 minutes.
The company claims that this single-use mask firms, refreshes, and de-puffs the delicate area below the eyes.
A person can buy a single mask for $14.
Hyaluronic acid is a molecule that the body makes naturally, and it plays a role in many bodily functions, including hydrating the skin and lubricating the joints.
Hyaluronic acid can also play a part in a person’s daily skin care routine when it is present in products such as hyaluronic acid moisturizers.
This type of moisturizer may help a person keep their skin moisturized, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and make their skin appear firmer.
Some companies advise users to test their products on a small area of skin before using it on their faces to ensure that they do not experience an allergic reaction.