We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
JINS Eyewear offers a selection of custom eyeglasses and sunglasses suitable for adults and children. In addition, it can accommodate both prescription and nonprescription lenses for its frames.
JINS Eyewear sells affordable, customized eyeglasses. While it has limited in-store options, it offers online shopping experience for prescription and nonprescription glasses.
Founded in Japan, the company has expanded to the United States. It currently has six physical stores. Three of them are in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA, and the other three are in Los Angeles, CA.
At least one store in each location is by appointment only, so individuals may wish to check for any restrictions before visiting their chosen store.
This article discusses the JINS Eyewear brand, including its products and reputation. It also looks at alternative brands and products and how to maintain eye health.
Please note that all information presented is purely research-based.
JINS is a newer glasses brand in the U.S. and has a limited number of reviews from U.S. customers on third-party sites.
At the time of publishing, the company has an A- rating from the Better Business Bureau, with no reviews and two complaints within the past 3 years.
On the Trustpilot web page, there is currently only one review in English, which references the Japanese website of JINS.
The reviews listed on JINS U.S. web page are mostly favorable. The company’s aggregate score is 4.5 out of 5.0, and most positive reviews mention that the products:
- are lightweight
- have good designs
- are affordable
Some of the few negative reviews on the company website mention shipping delays.
JINS sells eyeglasses and sunglasses for adults and children. Its designs are in-house and include a Pokémon collection.
The company also offers lightweight frames, clip-on sunglasses, and alternative fit frames. All accommodate prescription and nonprescription lenses.
A person who needs prescription lenses needs to have their prescription ready when completing their order.
Additionally, JINS offers blue light-filtering glasses. The American Optometric Association (AOA) notes that blue light devices can disrupt sleep, but the evidence is unclear about how blue light affects the eyes.
Findings of a
Unlike the AOA, the study suggests that using blue light-blocking glasses could be helpful, at least at night.
Here, we look at some of JINS pros and cons for a person to consider:
- JINS offers frames that start at less than $100.
- It has several collections, styles, colors, and sizes.
- There are various lens options to choose from.
- A person can place an order online.
- The company offers free shipping and a free 30-day return policy.
- Individuals can use funds from their health savings account (HSA) and flexible spending account (FSA).
- Adjustment reimbursement of up to $30 and limited coverage are available should breakage occur during adjustment at non-JINS stores.
- JINS does not work directly with medical insurers, so a person needs to pay for their purchase upfront. However, if they have an optical benefit, they can then submit a claim to their insurer.
- The starting prices of JINS frames are not as low as those of some other online retailers.
When ordering glasses, a person should have a valid current prescription for their lenses.
The ordering process involves:
- choosing the frames
- customizing the lenses with add-ons, such as protective coatings, UV protection, and blue light-blocking filters
- uploading one’s current prescription, if applicable
- providing billing and shipping information
Once a person has placed their order, they can submit their receipt to an insurance company for reimbursement, if eligible.
JINS Eyewear offers a limited return policy and grace period.
To receive a refund, a person needs to:
- retain their proof of purchase and original packaging
- request a return label from the company
- have ordered glasses with a valid prescription
- start the return process within 30 days
- return undamaged glasses
If a person orders glasses without a current prescription or fails to provide the required information, they are ineligible for a refund.
The company also offers its customers a 1-year limited warranty that covers both frames and lenses. The warranty is valid from the date of purchase and covers damage or breaks due to manufacturing flaws.
However, it does not cover accidental breaks, loss, neglect, or damage. Moreover, a person will void their warranty if they attempt to repair the glasses themselves.
A person should have a regular eye examination as part of their regular health checks.
According to the
Such exams also help prevent vision loss by detecting common eye conditions.
At any point in a person’s life, a healthcare professional may recommend a vision screening more regularly, especially if the person is at high risk of eye health conditions.
Some risk factors a person should consider with a doctor include:
- having diabetes
- having a family history of eye conditions
- belonging to a specific racial or ethnic group
- using over-the-counter or prescription medications with side effects
- having had eye surgery
- having had an injury to the eye
- wearing contact lenses
- working in fields that can cause damage to the eyes
- having functional vision in only one eye
The number of eye exams a person needs will depend on their age and eye health risk factors.
The AOA provides the following schedule for eye exams:
|Age (years)||Frequency of eye exams (lower risk)||Frequency of eye exams (higher risk)|
|0–2||once between the ages of 6 and 12 months||once between the ages of 6 and 12 months unless recommended otherwise|
|3–5||once||once unless recommended otherwise|
|6–17||once before first grade and then every other year||once before first grade and then every other year unless recommended otherwise|
|18–64||every 2 years||at least annually or as per eye doctor‘s instruction|
|65 and older||once per year||at least annually or as per eye doctor’s instruction|
Several retailers offer online ordering options for glasses. Often, the selection is extensive and with lower prices than in traditional stores.
Some alternative brands include:
- GlassesUSA: The company sells several well-known glasses brands for children and adults.
- Lensabl: The company offers a few brands of glasses with various frame and lens options.
- Pair Eyewear: This brand specializes in children’s glasses and offers several frame styles based on popular culture franchises.
- Payne Glasses: This brand offers custom styles for adults and children in an online store.
JINS Eyewear sells affordable, customized eyeglasses, offering a variety of styles, colors, and lenses to choose from. People can visit its online store or one of its six physical stores, which are in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Although the company does not work directly with medical insurers, individuals can use their HSA or FSA funds as payment. If a person has optical coverage through their insurer, they may be eligible for reimbursement.
Individuals will need a valid current prescription when ordering custom lenses. Alternatively, they can select from nonprescription sunglasses, blue light-blocking glasses, and clear lenses.