We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Knockaround is an online brand that sells nonprescription sunglasses. A person can choose from one of the company’s ready-made styles, or they can custom-make a pair of eyewear of their own.
This article discusses what Knockaround is, which products are available for purchase, how to order, and how sunglasses promote eye health.
Adam Moyer founded Knockaround in 2005. The company operates from San Diego, CA, and aims to provide original, affordable, and durable sunglasses that are stylish and practical.
Knockaround sells ready-made and customized sunglasses. The company also offers limited-edition sunglasses and collaborates with partners to sell branded and holiday-inspired frames.
However, the company has a store on Amazon, and purchasers give most of its products a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.
According to positive reviews, the sunglasses are durable and not expensive. Customers also mention that the sunglasses are comfortable to wear and stop them from squinting when in sunlight.
Authors of negative reviews claim that the sunglasses are of similar quality to cheaper options. Some mention the polarized lenses are thin, with others seeing the person’s eyes while wearing them.
One reviewer notes that the lens tint began to peel off after they used their sunglasses for 2 months.
All Knockaround sunglasses are unisex styles.
The company offers 14 different styles, including:
- classic sunglasses
- sports sunglasses
- kids sunglasses
- snow goggles
- blue light-blocking sunglasses
- polarized sunglasses
People can also filter their searches by frame and lens colors and frame styles.
Alternatively, people can customize and design their pair of sunglasses. For example, a person can choose the color of the front and arms of the frame, select the lens color, and decide whether the lens has any protective coatings, such as blue light-blocking filters.
Knockaround also sells various accessories, such as soft glasses cases, tote bags, and some clothing.
In addition, the company offers a reward scheme for its customers, who receive points for every dollar they spend. They can then use their points on their future purchases.
Before purchasing from Knockaround, individuals may wish to consider its pros and cons first.
- Individuals can customize sunglasses.
- The sunglasses may be less expensive than those of other brands.
- The company states that its sunglasses are durable and use high quality material.
- All Knockaround sunglasses have UV400 lenses.
- Knockaround offers reward schemes for regular customers.
- Knockaround sunglasses are FDA-approved and impact resistant.
- The company accepts international orders.
- Knockaround lenses are not shatter resistant.
- The company does not offer prescription lenses.
- There are no designer or luxury sunglasses on offer.
Individuals can purchase Knockaround sunglasses online either through its website or on Amazon. The company’s products are also available in some physical stores. A person can find their nearest store with Knockaround sunglasses here.
Knockaround accepts most payment cards and methods, including PayPal, Google Pay, and Apple Pay. It also takes Afterpay, a payment method where a person can pay in installments.
In addition, the company provides discounts to members of the military and students.
People cannot purchase prescription lenses from Knockaround. All Knockaround products are nonprescription only.
Knockaround offers free shipping on all orders. Ready-made sunglasses ship within a few days, whereas it may take up to 12 days to process custom sunglasses for delivery.
International customers are responsible for paying any customs or tax fees and can expect to wait 3–4 weeks for their order.
Warranty and return policy
Knockaround offers a 30-day return policy. If a person returns a product, it must be unworn, unused, and undamaged.
However, the following products are not eligible for returns:
- customized products
- special release products
- collaboration products
- international orders
- items previously marked as final sale
Knockaround does not list its warranty policy. However, if a customer’s sunglasses break, the company states the customer should take a photo of the sunglasses and send it to the customer service team for support.
A few alternative affordable sunglasses retailers include:
- EyeBuyDirect: This company sells sunglasses and eyeglasses at a lower price than some of its competitors. In addition, people can purchase prescription sunglasses. Learn more about EyeBuyDirect here.
- Zenni Optical: The company offers prescription and nonprescription sunglasses, as well as prescription eyeglasses. It also has a wide range of frames for adults and children. Learn more about Zenni Optical here.
- J+S Vision: The range of J+S Vision sunglasses is small. However, the brand offers affordable sunglasses and computer glasses with a range of frames and styles.
The CDC notes that most sunglasses for sale in the United States meet this standard. However, people should check what protection a pair of sunglasses offers before making a purchase.
Short-term exposure can also lead to photokeratitis, which is sunburn on the front part of the eye.
The researchers found that wide sunglasses protect eyes from UV rays during the winter, and goggles offer the most protection.
Other factors that can influence the protection level of sunglasses include the time of day, the season, and whether a person looks directly into the sun.
The AAO recommends a person looking to purchase a pair of sunglasses do the following:
- look for a sticker that says the sunglasses block 99–100% of UVA and UVB rays
- consider oversized or wraparound sunglasses, as these provide further protection
- look for amber-, green-, or gray-colored lenses to increase contrast when playing sports
- consider polarized lenses to reduce glare
Knockaround sunglasses are available to purchase online and in selected stores across the U.S.
People can choose from ready-made sunglasses, but they also can custom-design a pair. The company has various frame and lens options for adults and children.
It is important to wear sunglasses to protect the eyes and the skin around them from sunburn and sun damage. Sunglasses can also help prevent eye conditions, such as cataracts and glaucoma.
People should only purchase sunglasses that block 99–100% of UVA and UVB rays.