We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Lucid is an online mattress company that offers a wide variety of mattresses to suit different needs and preferences.
- For children: Lucid 5-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- For teenagers and guests: Lucid 8-Inch Medium Firm Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- For all sleeping positions: Lucid 10-Inch Plush Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- For a plush mattress: Lucid 14-Inch Plush Latex and Memory Foam Mattress
This article discusses the Lucid brand and its memory foam mattresses. It also looks at some alternative brands that people may wish to consider.
Lucid is a newer brand that allows people to order a mattress online and have the company compress it into a box and ship it to their home. This type of product is known as a “bed in a box.”
According to Lucid, what sets it apart from other online brands is the range of options it offers.
The company makes few, if any, health claims. Instead, it focuses on providing consumers with choices relating to various aspects of the mattress and their personal needs, including:
- the price
- the firmness
- the material (foam or latex)
- their preferred sleep position
- their tendency to sleep hot or cold
When a person selects a preference on the company’s “Why Lucid?” page, the site filters the choices down to those that Lucid believes fit the preference.
Lucid claims that several of its mattresses may help relieve pressure points and align the spine.
A common complaint regarding memory foam mattresses is that people feel hot during sleep. Lucid states that it incorporates gel into its foam to help a person feel cooler at night.
People who are interested in environmentally friendly mattresses may like the fact that Lucid mattresses are CertiPUR-US certified. This certification means that the company meets certain standards of using safe materials and being environmentally friendly.
The following table describes the mattress sizes that Lucid offers.
|Twin||39 x 75 inches (in)|
|Twin XL||39 x 80 in|
|Full||54 x 75 in|
|Full XL||54 x 80 in|
|Queen||60 x 80 in|
|Short queen||60 x 75 in|
|King||76 x 80 in|
|California king||72 x 84 in|
Before purchasing a mattress, a person may wish to consider:
- Price: A person should consider their budget before purchasing a mattress. The material, size, and construction of a mattress can increase its price.
- Motion isolation: For those who co-sleep, purchasing a mattress that isolates movement can lead to more restful sleep. A mattress that isolates movement can reduce sound and disturbances as one person moves or gets into or out of bed.
- Firmness: Mattresses have different firmness feels. Most mattresses are medium or medium firm. Many companies offer a sleep trial, during which people can try out a mattress at home for an extended period of time and return it if they do not find it comfortable.
- Durability: A person may also wish to research how durable a mattress is before purchasing. More durable mattresses may save a person money over a long period of time, as they may not need to replace them as often.
- Temperature control: People who overheat during sleep may prefer to buy hybrid or cooling gel foam mattresses. Hybrid mattresses promote extra airflow through their pocketed springs, whereas cooling foam may regulate temperature.
- Pressure relief: A person may wish to research which mattress offers the pressure relief they require. Hybrid and all-foam mattresses may help promote spinal alignment and support the joints, thereby reducing aches and pains.
On all of its mattresses, Lucid offers:
- a 10-year warranty
- free shipping
- free returns, though it is worth noting that although a person can return a mattress for any reason, they have to do this within 30 days, which is a shorter time frame than many other online mattress companies offer
- sizes ranging from twin to California king
Lucid offers mattresses that range in thickness from 5 in to 16 in. Customers can choose between buying the mattress directly on the website or getting it through Amazon.
The following are a few of the memory foam mattresses available and the benefits that Lucid suggests that they provide.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented here is purely research-based.
The 5-in mattress is Lucid’s most affordable model. The company designed it primarily for children.
This mattress should fit most children’s bed designs and frames, including bunk beds.
The open cell structure of the foam may help the mattress last longer.
According to Lucid, the 8-in model is most suitable for either a guest bedroom or a teenager.
The company claims that the medium firm feel provides support for all sleep positions.
The ventilated design allows for breathability, which may improve temperature regulation.
The memory foam may also help relieve pressure points.
According to Lucid, this mattress features 3 in of gel-infused memory foam as a comfort layer on top.
Lucid claims that this mattress is suitable for people with any preferred sleeping position, including combination sleepers.
The foam base provides support and comfort. Therefore, this mattress may promote spinal alignment to help prevent aches and pains.
Lucid says that its 14-in plush mattress is the softest model that it offers. The mattress has four layers of latex and memory foam to provide extra comfort.
It also contains a bamboo and charcoal layer that helps manage moisture and odors.
As with many bed-in-a-box mattresses, people should leave this product to decompress for a day or two after unwrapping it.
People usually sleep on their sides, stomachs, backs, or a combination of these positions.
The following table describes which sleeping position may benefit from which mattress firmness. However, feelings of firmness are subjective, and people should try to research mattresses and reviews to find one that best suits their preferred sleeping position.
|For side sleepers||soft and medium|
|For back sleepers||medium, medium firm, and firm|
|For front sleepers||firm and very firm|
|For combination sleepers||medium, medium firm, and firm|
There are many online mattress companies in the United States. They all offer similar features, including:
- return periods, during which a person can try out the mattress
- memory foam, gel, or latex constructions
- various mattress sizes
Where they tend to differ is in price, the length of the grace period to return the mattress, and other perks. Ultimately, which mattress a person chooses and is happy with will come down to their individual needs and preferences.
The following brands also offer memory foam mattresses available for purchase online:
- Nectar: This brand offers two types of memory foam mattresses.
- Purple: People can select mattresses with a gel grid on top of a memory foam or a hybrid base. Learn more here.
- Cocoon by Sealy: This company sells a memory foam mattress. Learn more here.
- Tuft & Needle: People can choose a memory foam or a hybrid model.
- Casper: Casper offers an original foam mattress and hybrid mattresses. Learn more here.
Feeling cooler at night may help improve sleep quality. In another
Below are some frequently asked questions about Lucid’s memory foam mattresses.
Which mattress is best?
Which mattress is best depends on a person’s requirements and preferences. Some people may find that medium firm mattresses support their body and lead to restful sleep, while others may find the same mattress too hard or too soft.
When purchasing a mattress online, a person may wish to choose a company that offers a sleep trial. For example, Lucid offers a 30-night sleep trial, during which people can return the mattress if they do not find it comfortable.
What is the difference between a memory foam mattress and a hybrid mattress?
A memory foam mattress contains several layers of foam that support the body and provide pressure relief.
Hybrid mattresses contain foam and springs that are responsive to a person’s movement during the night.
Do memory foam mattresses help keep people cool at night?
Memory foam is a dense material, and it can trap heat more than other mattress materials. Unlike hybrid mattresses, it does not have any springs that provide extra airflow, which can help keep people cool at night.
However, most companies include a cooling cover, cooling gel, or a charcoal layer that can help regulate temperature. People should try to research the memory foam mattress that they are considering to see what cooling capabilities it has.
Lucid offers a wide variety of mattresses made using memory foam and gel. The company claims to offer the most choice compared with its online competitors.
People should try to research reviews from different sources online to get an unbiased idea of the pros and cons of each Lucid mattress.