We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Many companies sell mattresses that can support the spine and help relieve low back pain. They come with various features and a range of size, height, and firmness options. Some mattresses also have more than one layer, and their materials are also breathable and suitable for those with allergies.
Lower back pain can be acute, as it can develop quickly and get better on its own within a few days. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke defines back pain as chronic if it persists for
This article explores the types of mattresses that can help ease back pain, factors to help choose a mattress, and some products available for purchase. It also lists some strategies that individuals can consider and discusses when to speak with a doctor.
A 2015 research article found that self-adjusted, medium-firm mattresses could promote spinal alignment and sleep comfort.
Another paper from 2017 noted that latex mattresses can distribute weight more evenly across the body compared to polyurethane mattresses.
All mattresses wear out over time, but their longevity depends on the method and material a company uses to create them.
People with back pain who have a mattress that is saggy and lumpy with no edge support may benefit from a new one.
That said, some materials may be better for backs than others. In an older article, the researchers reviewed the effects of foam and cotton mattresses and found that participants developed back pain after using the foam mattress. However, they experienced some relief after using a cotton mattress.
A person looking for a new mattress should ensure they choose one that is comfortable and provides spinal support. Some factors to consider include the below.
- Size: Mattresses come in different sizes, and a person should choose one that suits them best.
- Comfort: Individuals can choose between a soft or firm mattress. One article found that medium-firm mattresses may be the most suitable choice for relieving back pain.
- Type: There are various types of mattresses to choose from, such as memory foam, innerspring, hybrid, and air mattresses, among others. A 2017 study involving older adults and individuals who are bedridden for more than 15 hours per day notes that alternating pressure air mattresses can be more effective at preventing pressure ulcers than viscoelastic foam mattresses.
- Sleeping position: People should choose a mattress according to the body areas that require greater support to provide spinal alignment. Health experts state individuals who sleep on their stomachs should opt for firmer mattresses than those who sleep on their backs or sides.
- Price: A person should not only check the product’s price, but they should also consider other fees that cover shipping, installation, returns, and other costs.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
This medium-firm mattress is suitable for people with back pain.
Its features include:
- plant-based Bio-Pur material for cooling comfort and responsive support
- ecofriendly production
- pocketed coils for extra bounce and support
- limited motion transfer
- individual coils providing more airflow below the upper foam layers
The company also offers a risk-free, 100-night trial period, a 20-year warranty, plus free shipping and returns.
Pricing starts from $1,149.
Nectar offers this medium-firm memory foam mattress, which is 12 inches high.
It comes with several features, such as:
- a quilted cool cover with heat-wicking, cooling technology
- a shift-resistant lower cover to help the mattress stay in place
- a stay-stable base layer
- a dynamic support layer
- a nectar comfort layer for more softness and comfort
According to the company website, individuals who bought this product stated it helped reduce their stiffness, soreness, and discomfort.
This Nectar mattress also comes with free shipping, returns, and the brand’s own “Forever Warranty.”
Pricing starts from $499.
This Copper Dreams mattress is customizable, so people can choose their preferred comfort level.
- a smooth top weave for a cooling effect
- a copper-graphite infusion in the top memory foam layer that draws heat away from the body
- individually encased coils for deep compression support
- a secondary layer of memory foam that contours to the body
It also comes with a 10-year warranty, a 120-night, risk-free trial, and free shipping and returns.
Pricing starts from $411.75.
This hybrid is reportedly suitable for those with lower back pain because it features lumbar zone support technology, which supports the spine and helps relieve back pain.
People can also choose their preferred size, height, and comfort level, such as plush soft, luxury firm, or firm.
Other features include:
- individually pocketed coils
- firm edge support
- a breathable and hypoallergenic organic cotton cover
- high-density memory foam
The company also offers a 180-night, home trial, free in-home delivery and setup, and a 15-year warranty.
It starts from $887.
This mattress relieves back pain by aligning the spine and minimizing stress on pressure points.
It also features:
- a hypoallergenic cover
- six layers
- a contour-adaptable coil base
- a stain-resistant cover
- a breathable design
- a cooling gel infusion
The company also offers free shipping, a 101-night sleep trial, and a lifetime warranty.
Pricing starts from $1,149.
Health experts recommend that people speak with a doctor if they experience these symptoms:
- persistent pain after an injury
- weakness in the arms and legs
- inability to control the bowels or bladder
- unexplained loss of weight
People with low back pain should check whether they need to buy a new mattress.
Many companies stock mattresses, and a person can buy one that suits their preferred firmness level. They can also choose the size and height of the mattress they wish to purchase.
However, individuals with low back pain can also consider engaging in yoga, acupuncture, and mindfulness to help ease back pain.