We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Many brands manufacture meditation pillows, which help correct posture and reduce pain in individuals who meditate and sit for long periods. The pillows come in different sizes and colors, while some also allow users to adjust their firmness.
This article looks at meditation and meditation pillows in more detail. It explores some features that a person may find helpful when choosing their cushion, products available for purchase, and frequently asked questions.
- Best range of colors: Hugger Mugger V-Shape Cushion
- Best for acupressure: Body Quiet Meditation Cushion with Acupressure
- Best foldable pillow: Edelia Chenille Lounge Floor Pillow
- Best inflatable cushion: Mobile Meditator Inflatable Meditation Cushion
- Best for lower budgets: REEHUT Zafu Yoga Meditation Cushion
- Best organic cotton material: Yogamatters Organic Cotton Meditation Cushion
- Best for prolonged sitting: Cushion Lab Pressure Relief Seat Cushion
- Best for hardwood floors: Crystal Cove Square Meditation Cushion
- Best for aligning postures: Hihealer Meditation Cushion
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
Meditation pillows aim to provide comfort, especially for those who meditate for long periods. They are generally firmer than ordinary pillows and offer added support for the user.
A person can sit on a meditation pillow to add extra comfort to their meditation session. Some meditation pillows are also compatible with desk chairs and seats.
According to the
However, many meditation programs require people to sit down on the floor and cross their legs — a position that may become uncomfortable after some time. Therefore, a meditation pillow may be useful.
Below are some of the features to consider when choosing a meditation pillow:
- Size: Meditation pillows come in various sizes, so taller individuals may choose a pillow compatible with their height.
- Shape: Rectangular mats can be suitable for individuals who practice yoga and meditation. U-shaped and V-shaped pillows can also help elevate the hips and reduce hip, knee, and back pain.
- Portability: Many meditation pillows have a built-in handle, so people can easily carry them around, particularly when traveling.
- Type of fill: Most products feature a buckwheat filling, and individuals may adjust this to their preferred height and firmness.
The following section explores some of the meditation pillows available to buy online.
How we choose products
Medical News Today chose meditation pillows that fit the following criteria:
- Price: Products suit a range of budgets.
- Design: Some of the products are foldable and have a built-in handle, so they are convenient for traveling.
- Adjustability: Products have an adjustable filling so users can choose the firmness that they like best.
The list below reviews ten of the best meditation pillows and cushions:
Best range of colors
This V-shaped cushion aims to help people maintain good posture while they meditate. The design also allows individuals to bring their feet in close when they are in a cross-legged position.
Other features include:
- six color options
- adjustable organic buckwheat filling
- cotton cover
- supports meditation posture
- head and neck support for side sleeping
However, some reviews discussed that this cushion is over-stuffed.
This product costs around $64.49 on Amazon.
Best for acupressure
This Body Quiet meditation cushion features lotus spikes on one side and a cotton finish on the reverse.
People can sit on its acupressure spikes to relax their muscles and increase blood flow. A person can also use this feature on their feet, back, and neck to target painful and tight areas.
In addition, the filling of the pillow comprises buckwheat hulls, while individuals are free to adjust its height and firmness.
However, some customer reviews suggest this product may not be comfortable for everyone.
The product is available for around $49.95 on Amazon.
Best foldable pillow
People can use this floor pillow for meditation. The product comes with several features:
- a self-fabric wrap for easy packing and traveling
- polyester chenille design
- soft polyfill
This product is also foldable and available in different colors.
However, the company recommends that a person spot clean their pillow. Customer reviews also stated that it may offer less support than other products.
The Edelia Chenille pillow is available for $211.99.
Best inflatable cushion
This cushion features three different chambers that a person has to inflate individually, allowing them to adjust the product’s height and firmness. The center chamber supports the spine, while the side chambers support the hips and thighs.
The product has a fully inflatable and portable design. Its size is also customizable, depending on how much people wish to inflate it.
Additionally, when not in use, individuals can fold the cushion for easy storage or transport.
However, according to some reviews, the product may cause air leakage and stop working after a few uses.
The product costs around $59.95 on Amazon.
Best for lower budgets
This cushion is suitable for practicing yoga, as it provides spine, neck, and limb support. It is available in four colors and three sizes.
The manufacturer claims the cushion can relieve joint stress and reduce the chance of developing numbing limbs.
Other features include:
- a full-zip cotton cover
- buckwheat hull filling
- skin-friendly design
However, some reviewers wrote that the cushion might be too short for taller individuals. Other customers reported that the inside of the cushion was dirty.
The price of the cushion starts from $26.99 on Amazon, depending on the size.
Best organic cotton material
This meditation cushion is available in two colors and features 100% Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)-certified organic cotton.
The company claims this product can help a person maintain a straight spine throughout their meditation session. The cushion can also elevate an individual and reportedly help open their chest for fuller breaths.
The cushion has a buckwheat hull filling, while the removable zip cover is machine washable.
However, the removable cover is not washable with dark colors.
This product is available for $43.
Best for prolonged sitting
Cushion Lab offers this seat cushion, which may be suitable for individuals who wish to meditate while sitting down, as it helps relieve lower back pain and numbness.
The cushion also has a gripped bottom, allowing a person to place it on any chair. They can also use it with back relief lumbar pillows for added support.
In addition, it features:
- recycled polyester covers
- odor-resistant, extra-dense charcoal memory foam
- a 1-year limited warranty
- machine-washable and removable hypoallergenic cover
However, it may not be comfortable for those with a weight of more than 200 pounds.
The price starts from $82.00, depending on the cushion size.
Best for hardwood floors
This cushion features a buckwheat filling and an inner GOTS-certified organic cotton liner. Crystal Cove has manufactured this cushion with nontoxic materials, while the cushion includes reinforced handles.
This product is also vegan-certified and has a removable cover.
The company states that a person can rest their legs on this meditation cushion, which is ideal for hardwood floors.
However, one reviewer wrote that the filling in the cushion caused discomfort after long periods of use. Others also commented that the cushion was heavy.
This product is available for $99.
Best for aligning postures
The buckwheat hull filling of this cushion provides firm support. The cushion comes with two covers and has a foam layer to align the hips and spine for improved postures. It also features a handle for easy transportation.
Additionally, the cushion reportedly reduces the pressure on the knees, ankles, and back.
However, some reviewers wrote that the product sagged after a few uses and others found it was too small for them.
The price starts from around $40.99 on Amazon, depending on the color.
Below are some common questions and answers about meditation pillows.
How do you sit on a meditation pillow?
Individuals should ensure they position their bottom on the front half of their cushion, as this helps them cross their legs forward in front of them.
They can then move from side to side to help their hips settle in a natural position and shift their pelvis slightly forward to straighten the spine.
What is the purpose of a meditation pillow?
Meditation cushions can benefit people who meditate.
The cushions provide support and comfort — most of them lift the hips off the floor to support the lumbar spine’s natural curvature. This support relieves the excess pressure that a person may experience if they have difficulties maintaining good posture.
Additionally, these cushions help individuals sit in proper alignment without discomfort if they meditate for extended periods.
Meditation can become uncomfortable if a person has to sit for long periods, and it could lead to back, hip, and knee pain and discomfort.
While people can find various meditation pillows online, they may wish to ensure they choose a product that is compatible with their height and size.