We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Menopause occurs when a person stops menstruating. It may lead to the development of several symptoms, including weight gain. Weight loss supplements are available for people experiencing menopause, but they may be unsafe.
A quick look at 5 of the best menopause supplements for weight loss
- Best for controlling appetite: Life Extension Advanced Appetite Suppress
- Best for vegans: HUM Counter Cravings
- Best for a probiotic supplement: Align Probiotic Supplement 24/7 Digestive Support
- Best for relieving hot flashes and night sweats: HUM Fan Club
- Best for a 2-month supply: Smoky Mountain Nutrition DIM 200mg with BioPerine
This article explains why weight gain may occur during menopause and how supplements may help people control their weight if needed.
It also explores some supplements available for purchase and strategies a person may wish to follow to manage hormonal weight gain.
Reduced estrogen levels
Estrogen is the hormone that regulates the menstrual cycle and aids in the development of the breasts. It also affects the skin, pelvic muscles, and other areas of the body. After menopause, the ovaries produce very little estrogen.
- Stroke: Females’ stroke risk doubles every decade after the age of 55. Low estrogen levels may contribute to this risk by causing cholesterol to accumulate on the walls of arteries leading to the brain.
- Urinary incontinence: This can occur postmenopause as the urethra weakens, causing some people to have difficulty holding in their urine.
- Osteoporosis: This condition causes the bones to weaken. It can occur after menopause as the body starts losing bone mass quickly.
- Oral issues: Some people may develop dry mouth and cavities in the years after menopause.
Other factors can also lead to unintentional weight gain after menopause, such as:
- receiving chemotherapy
- reduced physical activity
- a family history of obesity
- antidepressant medications
There is no high quality evidence that weight loss supplements work in people with or without menopause symptoms.
Precautions and safety concerns
The NIH lists some common ingredients in dietary supplements for weight loss, such as:
- Chromium: The body needs this mineral regulate blood sugar levels. A
2019 reviewof the research on the effects of chromium supplements in people with obesity showed a 1.65-lb reduction in weight and a 0.68% reduction in body fat percentage.
- Caffeine: A
2015 studysuggests there may be a link between caffeine use and greater vasomotor symptom bother in postmenopausal women. These symptoms include hot flashes, night sweats, and heart palpitations.
- Green tea extract: Research suggests there
may be a linkbetween green tea extract and acute liver injury. Symptoms include nausea and stomach pain. It may also reduce the effectiveness of nadolol, a drug people take for high blood pressure.
A 2019 study states that there should be regulations requiring dietary supplements claiming to reduce weight and build muscles to provide evidence and pass safety protocols. The researchers suggest that those who use these products may be nearly three times more likely to need hospitalization or emergency care than those taking vitamin supplements.
It is best for people to ask their doctor if they want to learn more about these products, particularly if they have high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart disease. A person should also check the scientific evidence available before buying a dietary supplement.
Medical News Today chooses products that meet the following criteria:
- Price: Products suit a range of budgets.
- Ingredients: Products list all ingredients clearly and outline their manufacturing processes.
- Safety: Products contain ingredients deemed safe for ingestion.
- Reputation: Products come from businesses that adhere to industry best practices.
Below are some menopause supplements that may help with weight loss.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best for controlling appetite: Life Extension Advanced Appetite Suppress
- Price: $28.50
- Advantage: suitable for vegetarians
- Disadvantage: mixed reviews regarding its effectiveness
These supplements contain white kidney bean extracts to help maintain the balance of gut hormones that control appetite and satiety, which may reduce the urge to snack frequently.
They do not contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and are gluten-free. They are also suitable for people who follow a vegetarian diet.
The company recommends that people eat healthy foods and exercise regularly while taking these supplements. It suggests people take 1 capsule twice per day before meals.
This product may best suit individuals who would like to control their appetite. It comes with a 100% money-back guarantee, and each bottle contains 60 capsules.
Best for vegans: HUM Counter Cravings
- Price: $50
- Advantage: suitable for vegans and gluten-free
- Disadvantage: more expensive than many competitors
The ingredients in Counter Cravings supplements include chromium, forskolin, and fucoxanthin. According to the manufacturer, this product may help reduce cravings, boost metabolism, and increase relaxation.
The product is vegan and gluten-free and does not include GMOs or artificial sweeteners.
It may best suit vegans and individuals who want to reduce food cravings.
The company recommends taking 1 capsule twice per day with food. One bottle contains 60 capsules or a month’s supply.
Best for a probiotic supplement: Align Probiotic Supplement 24/7 Digestive Support
- Price: $22.99
- Advantage: suitable for vegetarians
- Disadvantage: each container only holds a 2-week supply
This supplement contains a probiotic strain of Bifidobacterium, a species of bacteria present in the gastrointestinal tract. Other ingredients include gellan gum, magnesium stearate, and sucrose.
The product is gluten- and soy-free and suitable for people following a vegetarian diet.
This product may be suitable for individuals who do not want to take a daily supplement.
Each container includes 14 capsules.
Best for relieving hot flashes and night sweats: HUM Fan Club
- Price: $40
- Advantage: probiotics may help reduce stress, muscle pain, hot flashes, night sweats, and vaginal dryness
- Disadvantage: more expensive than many competitors
This product contains Siberian rhubarb extract, Lactobacillus plantarum, and grapeseed extract. The company states that it may relieve hot flashes, night sweats, and vaginal dryness.
It may also reduce muscle discomfort and stress levels.
According to the University of Chicago Medicine, menopause can cause irritability, mood shifts, and depression. Some people may also feel stressed, which can lead to worsening symptoms during menopause.
Activities such as physical exercise or yoga may help people manage their stress levels.
This product may be most suitable for people with a variety of menopause symptoms. Each container includes 30 capsules, and a person can take 1 supplement daily with food.
Best for a 2-month supply: Smoky Mountain Nutrition DIM 200mg with BioPerine
- Price: $19.95
- Advantage: low price for a 2-month supply
- Disadvantage: some user reviews mention nausea and headaches
This product contains diindolylmethane, which the company suggests can help manage excess estrogen during menopause. It also claims this supplement may help reduce weight gain, hot flashes, hormonal acne, bloating, low energy levels, and breast tenderness.
The supplement is suitable for vegans, non-GMO, and free from hormones, gluten, dairy, soy, and major allergens.
It may suit individuals who want a hormone-free solution at an affordable price.
Each container contains 60 capsules, and a person takes 1 a day. Therefore, one container provides a 2-month supply.
The following table compares the supplements in this article.
|Price||Bottle count in capsules||Daily dosage||Suitable for vegetarians and vegans|
|Life Extension Advanced Appetite Suppress||$28.50||60||2 per day||vegetarians|
|HUM Counter Cravings||$50||60||2 per day||both|
|Align Probiotic Supplement 24/7 Digestive Support||$22.99||14||as needed||vegetarians|
|HUM Fan Club||$40||30||1 per day||both|
|Smoky Mountain DIM with BioPerine||$19.95||60||1 per day||both|
A person may wish to consider some of the following factors when looking to purchase a menopause supplement for weight loss:
- Price: A person may buy these supplements regularly, meaning that budget may be a large consideration.
- Ingredients: A person may wish to consider the ingredients a formula uses. This is particularly true for those who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet or require gluten- or soy-free products.
- Side effects: A person may wish to check the customer reviews of a product before purchasing to see if any users report experiencing side effects.
Some strategies that may help individuals manage hormonal weight gain include:
- Following a healthy diet: The University of Chicago Medicine recommends people control their portion sizes and avoid eating processed foods. A
2020 studyalso found that a Mediterranean diet can help people going through menopause lose fat and maintain muscle mass. This also reduces their chances of heart disease.
- Consuming soy-derived products:
A 2020 reviewnotes that isoflavones may promote bone health and help prevent osteoporosis after menopause. Isoflavones are mainly present in legumes such as soy, white and red clover, alfalfa, and beans.
- Exercising regularly: A 2016 study suggests that engaging in resistance training after menopause can lead to improvements in muscular strength and body fat percentage.
Unintentional weight gain is a common symptom of menopause. A person can manage this with a healthy diet and regular exercise.
If a person has not exercised for some time or has a preexisting medical condition, they may wish to consider consulting a healthcare professional to work out an exercise regime suitable for their circumstances.
Here we answer common questions about supplements for weight gain associated with menopause.
What supplement helps with perimenopausal weight gain?
There is no clear evidence that supplements can help a person avoid weight gain during perimenopause.
What is the average weight gain during menopause?
On average, women gain
How can I lose menopause weight fast?
People can lose weight by reducing the number of calories they consume and exercising regularly.
People commonly experience weight gain during menopause. Some also experience hot flashes, night sweats, and vaginal dryness. Many supplements claim to reduce body weight or control hunger. However, there is no reliable evidence to support these claims.
It is best to talk with a doctor before taking a weight loss supplement. Some can cause side effects that may worsen menopause symptoms.