We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Back braces can help a person manage back pain by providing the spine with extra support during daily activities. The Mueller Lumbar Back Brace is designed to give support specifically to a person’s lower back and may help reduce back pain in that area.
According to the
Several factors can cause back pain, including:
- heavy lifting
- falling down
- changes in the spine due to aging
- a medical condition affecting the spine
NIAMS further states that people may be more likely to develop back pain if they are overweight, do not exercise regularly, or have a job that requires heavy lifting or long periods of sitting down.
The symptoms of back pain may change depending on the type and cause of the back pain. Some common symptoms
- pain while sitting, standing, bending, or resting
- stiffness in morning
- pain in other areas such as the buttocks, leg, or abdomen
A person with back pain may experience aching across the whole back or sharp pains in a specific area of the back. Back pain can also spread to other areas of the body, such as the abdomen, buttocks, and legs.
Back supports can support a person’s spine from the outside. They help a person reduce their back pain by transferring stress from the spine. They can also help reduce muscle tension in the back.
As many braces are tight-fitting, a person may find that a back brace provides a sense of stability in the spine. Additionally, the heat generated between the skin and back brace may reduce muscle tension and promote relaxation.
A person living with scoliosis may find that a back brace can slow or stop the progression of spinal curvature, but only if the person is still growing.
Mueller Sports Medicine dates back to 1960 and has its headquarters in Wisconsin, U.S.
The company provides braces and supports for the back and knees, sports accessories, and kinetic tape for athletes.
Mueller Sports Medicine has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), its highest rating. However, it is not BBB-accredited.
The company does not have any reviews on Trustpilot, so customer reviews are somewhat limited.
According to the manufacturer, the Mueller Lumbar Back Brace has four steel springs that provide firm support and stability. These springs should conform to the shape of a person’s lower back. The manufacturer notes that along with stability and support, the springs limit unwanted movement in the lower back that may be causing lower back pain.
A person can adjust the tightness of the brace by using the velcro straps on either side of the brace.
Built-in plastic components maintain the shape of the brace to stop it from bunching up while in use,
To use the Mueller Lumbar Back Brace, a person wraps the brace around their waist and fastens the belt to provide the level of compression they want. If they want to adjust the level of lumbar support the brace provides, they can add or remove the lumbar cushion at the back of the brace.
According to Mueller, people can wear this back brace all day if necessary.
The brace comes in two sizes and is suitable for people with waist sizes between 28–70 inches (in).
The Mueller Lumbar Back Brace has a number of advantages and disadvantages.
- fits a wide range of waist sizes
- suitable for any adult
- produced by an established brand with 60 years of experience
- adjustable support
- some reviews mention the product is non-returnable once worn
- some reviews state the sizing is not accurate
- overlapping size ranges may make choosing a size difficult
- the brace contains latex, which may cause an allergic reaction in some people
The Mueller Lumbar Back Brace is available to purchase online on the Mueller website.
According to Mueller, its products are on offer in over 100 countries.
A person may wish to consider other brands of back brace and back braces designed for other specific uses before making a purchase.
Some alternatives include:
- FlexGuard Lower Back Support: This back brace may help with lower back pain. The company claims it works for people with herniated discs. It features pockets for hot or cold packs to provide comfort to sore muscles. A person can adjust the brace with a pulley system, and metal supports gives structure to the brace. Learn more here.
- Aspen Evergreen 637 LSO Back Brace: The Aspen Evergreen back brace may help people who need advanced orthopedic spinal support. The company claims that this brace is suitable for pain relief, support after an operation, low-grade spondylolisthesis, a herniated disc, low back pain, and more. This back brace fits waist sizes from 28–54 in and comes with an extension panel for waist sizes up to 64 in. Learn more here.
- Braceability Work Back Brace for Heavy Lifting: This industrial work support belt aims to help people who frequently do heavy lifting at work. The belt, which comes with adjustable and removable shoulder straps for extra support, can help support the lumbar spine and the abdomen and promote a safe lifting technique. The company also claims this back brace works for people with a herniated disc, degenerative disc disease, spondylolisthesis, and sciatica. Learn more here.
- Serola Sacroiliac Belt: Suitable for use during pregnancy, a person wears this brace around the hips to support the sacroiliac joints in the pelvis. Serola claims that this belt stabilizes the base of the spine and gives strength to the back, hips, and legs. Studies have shown that sacroiliac joint dysfunction is a leading cause of pregnancy-related lumbopelvic pain. A compression belt can help alleviate pain caused by pregnancy-related changes in the sacroiliac joints. The belt comes in four set sizes and a custom size for people with hip measurements less than 30 in or more than 52 in. Learn more here.
A person may wish to see a doctor if their back pain does not improve within a
The Mueller Lumbar Back Brace may provide targeted support to a person’s lower back. Steel support springs may help relieve pressure from the spine and limit unwanted movement that can cause back pain.
Mueller is an established sports medicine company, and reviews of the Mueller Lumbar Back Brace generally reflect positive opinions, although some customers report problems with sizing. Additionally, the back brace contains latex, which may make it unsuitable for people with a latex allergy.
Back pain is a common problem, and sometimes it can go away on its own. If a person is experiencing long-term back pain, or they have had a back injury that is causing lower back pain, they can consider working with a doctor to find a suitable treatment for their pain.