We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
A person looking for at-home tests for various health conditions, including sexually transmitted infections (STIs), might consider myLAB Box. The company uses certified labs to process the tests and offers a free consultation with a physician if any result is positive.
While at-home tests can offer an affordable way of testing for specific conditions, a person should not use them in place of testing or diagnosis from a doctor or healthcare professional.
This article discusses what myLAB Box is, the tests it offers, and the pros and cons of using this service.
We refer to “women,” “men,” or both to align with how companies market their products, but there is no need to stick to one type or the other. A person should choose the product that best suits their needs.
The company says it was the first to offer at-home STI tests, and it now provides more than 30 tests for different health issues.
The tests fall into these categories:
- COVID and the flu
- women’s health
- men’s health
- sexual health
- family planning
The company says that it only uses labs that have licensing from the
A person receives physician-reviewed results within 1–5 days of the company receiving their sample. They can also benefit from a free physician consultation if they get a positive test result.
myLAB Box states that if a person receives a positive STI test result, the medical team can send a prescription to a local pharmacy. It does not indicate whether this is true when any result is positive.
However, the platform notes that people can take their test results to a primary care physician for treatment.
myLAB Box offers various at-home tests.
To use this service, a person needs to start by selecting the test they wish to use. The test kits contain instructions and all the tools needed to collect the sample the product requires. It is important to follow the instructions carefully to ensure the sample is valid.
Once an individual has collected their sample, they need to post it in the prepaid envelope that the company provides. CLIA- and CAP-certified labs process the tests and return the results within 1–5 days of receiving the delivery.
If a person’s test results are positive, myLAB Box will offer a free consultation with a board-certified physician. The company states that its medical team consists of experts in sexual health, STI prevention, wellness, and more.
People should discuss any positive test results with a primary care physician.
Before purchasing a test kit from myLAB Box, individuals may wish to consider the pros and cons of this service:
- Some customers say the instructions are easy to follow.
- The company offers many tests for various conditions.
- The tests come with free return mailing.
- The company says it returns results quickly.
- It offers a free consultation with a physician if any result is positive.
- Some customers say that the kits took longer to arrive than expected.
- The company only offers one free physician consultation, with no further support.
- Some people found receiving support from customer services difficult.
myLAB Box offers various at-home tests.
People should not use these products as a replacement for advice or diagnosis from a healthcare professional. If an individual receives test results that may indicate the presence of a condition, it is best to contact a doctor for further advice.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
- Price: from $18
- Collection method: nasal and saliva
- Tests for: COVID-19
myLAB Box says that its COVID-19 tests have approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and can detect the virus that causes this condition within 1–2 days after the start of the infection.
Many places of employment and education require proof of COVID-19 testing. Anyone purchasing a myLAB Box test for this purpose should ensure that their employers or educators accept test results from this company.
The myLAB Box COVID & Flu tests are available to purchase online from $36–150.
- Price: $119
- Collection method: finger prick
- Tests for: thyroid function and any signs indicating that a person may have thyroid problems
myLAB Box offers several wellness tests, including a thyroid screening test.
myLAB Box recommends people take this test if they have any of the following symptoms:
- irregular bowel habits
- irregular periods
- unexpected weight loss
- reduced energy
- fast heartbeat
- Price: $249
- Collection method: finger prick and saliva
- Tests for: hormone levels, including testosterone, estradiol, and progesterone
This test may benefit females who are considering pregnancy. It checks the levels of 11 hormones, including:
This test may give people an overview of their hormonal levels and aid in fertility discussions.
- Price: from $369
- Collection method: finger prick, swab, and urine sample
- Tests for: 14 STIs, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, and syphilis
This test is suitable for all genders. Females can also test for human papillomavirus (HPV) at an extra charge if they are 30 years or older.
- Price: $199
- Collection method: saliva sample
- Tests for: estradiol, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), cortisol, and testosterone levels
This test checks the hormone levels in the body. Higher or lower than average levels of certain hormones may cause noticeable symptoms.
For example, myLAB Box states that low testosterone levels may cause erectile dysfunction and loss of libido, while high estrogen levels may lead to weight gain and hot flashes.
myLAB Box offers several toxicology tests, such as:
- Heavy Metals Test: This requires a urine sample. It screens for several heavy metals, including lead and arsenic. High levels of these metals can lead to heavy metal poisoning.
- 5-Panel Drug Test: This requires a urine sample. It screens for cocaine, amphetamine, methamphetamine, cannabis, opiates, and phencyclidine.
- Comprehensive Drug Test: This requires a urine sample. It screens for several drugs, including barbiturates, oxycodone, ecstasy, and methadone.
The myLab Box toxicology tests are available to purchase online for $49–199.
On the myLAB Box website, a person can also buy:
- Anti-viral face masks: These are made from double-layered fabric. They are washable, reusable, water-repellant, and stain-resistant. There is an inner pocket for a filter.
- Antibacterial masks: These are triple-layered, and the interior lining is gentle on the skin. They resist water and dust and offer UV protection. In addition, these masks are washable and reusable, and each has an adjustable nose clip.
- Gift cards: A person can buy $25, $50, $100, or $200 cards, and the recipient can use the amount toward any at-home wellness test. The customer can also add a personalized message.
These accounts have different regulations. Anyone with questions should speak to a representative of their bank.
At the time of publication, myLAB Box does not hold accreditation with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The BBB gives the company an A grade, and there are no customer reviews.
myLAB Box has an average rating of 3.8 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot.
Positive reviews state that the service is convenient and professional.
Less favorable reviews mention slow delivery times and incorrect test kits or results. Also, some customers had difficulty contacting myLAB Box’s customer service.
Reportable and notifiable conditions
It is of note that companies
Each state or territory has local laws about which conditions healthcare professionals, laboratories, and hospitals must report.
State or territory public health departments will use this information to detect outbreaks. The list of conditions that public health departments watch for may change each year.
Additionally, states and territories may voluntarily notify the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) when they receive information about a condition.
The CDC updates the list of notifiable diseases and conditions annually.
According to the CDC, the case records do not contain any personally identifiable information. The organization uses this data to alert communities and the country to outbreaks.
HIPAA sets out the minimum requirements for privacy protection. However, some state laws may provide greater protection than HIPAA. For instance, some states may provide greater privacy protection regarding mental health and HIV infections.
The following table compares myLAB Box with LetsGetChecked and Everlywell, two other companies that offer at-home tests.
|Test types||COVID & Flu|
Energy + Weight
|Results time||1–5 days||2–5 days||within days|
|Follow-up care||free physician consultation if test results are positive||nurses available at all times to offer advice||information unavailable|
|Lab certification||CLIA- and CAP-certified||CLIA- and CAP-certified||CLIA-regulated|
|Subscription for regular testing||available for some tests||available for some tests||available for some tests|
|BBB rating||no reviews||1.13 stars out of 5||1.28 stars out of 5|
Below, we answer some frequently asked questions about myLAB Box:
How reliable are myLAB Box tests?
myLAB Box claims that it uses methodologies similar to those of the labs doctors use and that the results of its tests and a doctor’s test are comparable.
If an individual receives a test result that they believe is incorrect or worrying, they should contact a healthcare professional for further advice.
Is myLAB Box discreet?
myLAB Box ships its test kits in discreet packaging. The test kits and return envelopes do not have the company’s name or logo on the packaging.
Additionally, myLAB Box notes that privacy is one of its main concerns. It claims that it will not share a person’s test results with their health insurance provider or the Medical Information Bureau.
However, states and territories require laboratories, healthcare professionals, and hospitals to
What lab does myLAB Box use?
myLAB Box uses labs that are CLIA- and CAP-certified.
This means that the labs the company uses have to adhere to regulations and reviews from different organizations to ensure the accuracy of their results.
myLAB Box offers multiple at-home test kits that screen for wellness, sexual health, and toxicology, among other things. The company offers fast test results and a free consultation with a physician if the test results are positive.
However, individuals should not use these tests as a replacement for advice, testing, or diagnosis from a healthcare professional. People should interpret the results of their test with the help of a doctor.