We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
A person looking for at-home tests for various health conditions, including sexually transmitted infections (STIs), might consider myLAB Box. The company uses certified labs to process the tests and offers a free consultation with a physician if any result is positive.
While at-home tests can offer an affordable way of testing for specific conditions, a person should not use them in place of testing or diagnosis from a doctor or healthcare professional.
This article discusses what myLAB Box is, the tests it offers, and the pros and cons of using this service.
We refer to “women,” “men,” or both to align with how companies market their products, but there is no need to stick to one type or the other. A person should choose the product that best suits their needs.
The company says it was the first to offer at-home STI tests, and it now provides more than 30 tests for different health issues.
The tests fall into these categories:
- COVID and the flu
- women’s health
- men’s health
- sexual health
- family planning
The company says that it only uses labs that have licensing from the
A person receives physician-reviewed results within 1–5 days of the company receiving the person’s sample. Also, myLAB Box offers a free physician consultation if any test result is positive.
The company states that if a person receives a positive STI test result, the attending physician can send a prescription to the person’s local pharmacy. It does not state whether this is true when any result is positive.
However, myLAB Box also notes that people can take their test results to a primary care physician for treatment.
myLAB Box offers various at-home tests.
To use this service, a person needs to start by selecting the test they wish to use. The test kits contain instructions and all the tools needed to collect the sample the product requires. It is important to follow the instructions carefully to ensure the sample is valid.
Once an individual has collected their sample, they need to post it in the prepaid envelope that the company provides. CLIA- and CAP-certified labs process the tests and return the results within 1–5 days of receiving the delivery.
If a person’s test results are positive, myLAB Box will offer a free consultation with a board-certified physician. The company states that its medical team consists of experts in sexual health, STI prevention, wellness, and more.
It is of note that people should discuss any positive test results with a primary care physician.
At the time of publication, myLAB Box does not hold accreditation with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The BBB gives the company an A grade and there are no customer reviews.
According to the Trustpilot website, customers give myLAB Box an average rating of 3 stars out of a possible 5.
Positive reviews state that the service is convenient and professional.
Less favorable reviews advise of slow delivery times and incorrect test kits or results. Also, some customers had difficulty contacting myLAB Box’s customer service.
Before purchasing a test kit from myLAB Box, individuals may wish to consider the pros and cons of this service:
- Some customers say the instructions are easy to follow.
- The company offers many tests for various conditions.
- The tests come with free return mailing.
- The company says it returns results quickly.
- It offers a free consultation with a physician if any result is positive.
- Some customers say that the kits took longer to arrive than expected.
- The company only offers one free physician consultation, with no further support.
- Some people found receiving support from customer services difficult.
Reportable and notifiable conditions
It is of note that companies
Each state or territory has local laws about which conditions healthcare professionals, laboratories, and hospitals must report.
State or territory public health departments will use this information to detect outbreaks. The list of conditions that public health departments watch for may change each year.
Additionally, states and territories may voluntarily notify the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) when they receive information about a condition.
The CDC updates the list of notifiable diseases and conditions annually.
According to the CDC, the case records do not contain any information that is personally identifiable. The organization uses these data to alert communities and the country to outbreaks.
HIPAA sets out the minimum requirements for privacy protection. However, some state laws may provide greater protection than HIPAA. For instance, some states may provide greater privacy protection regarding mental health and HIV infections.
MyLAB Box does not work with any insurance companies, but it accepts flexible spending account and health savings account cards as payment methods.
These accounts have different regulations. Anyone with questions should speak to a representative of their bank.
myLAB Box offers various at-home tests.
It is of note, however, that people should not use these products as a replacement for advice or diagnosis from a healthcare professional. If an individual receives test results that may indicate the presence of a condition, they should contact a doctor for further advice.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
COVID & Flu
myLAB Box offers four different COVID-19 tests.
COVID & Flu is a test that requires a nasal or saliva swab. The company then tests this sample to determine whether the person has COVID-19 or the flu.
myLAB Box says that its COVID-19 tests have approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and can detect the virus that causes this condition within 1–2 days after the start of the infection.
Many places of employment and education require proof of COVID-19 testing. Anyone purchasing a myLAB Box test for this purpose should ensure that their employers or educators accept test results from this company.
The myLAB Box COVID & Flu tests are available to purchase online from $36–150.
The company offers 15 wellness tests, such as:
- Vitamin D: This requires a finger prick blood sample. It screens for the levels of vitamin D in the body, which can influence bone and cellular health.
- Thyroid Screening Test: This also requires a finger prick blood sample. It measures thyroid hormone levels, and the results may point to hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.
- Metabolism Test: This requires samples of blood and saliva. It measures the levels of cortisol, testosterone, and thyroid-stimulating hormone, which can affect a person’s metabolism.
The myLab Box wellness tests are available to purchase online for $36–239.
Fertility and family planning
myLAB Box offers various tests for male and female biology:
- Perimenopause Test: This requires a sample of blood and saliva. It measures the levels of several hormones, including follicle-stimulating hormone, estradiol, and progesterone.
- Postmenopause Test: This requires a saliva sample. It measures the levels of estradiol and progesterone, which can affect metabolism, bone density, and memory after menopause.
- Women’s Health: This requires a sample of blood and saliva. It measures the levels of several hormones to provide information about general wellness and fertility.
- Men’s Health: This requires a sample of blood and saliva. It measures testosterone, cortisol, dehydroepiandrosterone, and estradiol levels. If any result falls into the high or low range, consider contacting a healthcare professional for advice.
- Male Fertility Test: This requires a sperm sample. It screens for sperm count, which can affect fertility.
- Female Fertility Test: This requires a blood and saliva sample. It measures the levels of several hormones, such as estradiol and progesterone, that can affect fertility.
- Ovulation Confirmation Test: This requires a urine sample. It measures the levels of progesterone in urine, which may indicate ovulation.
These tests are available to purchase online for $32–259.
myLAB Box offers 19 sexual health tests. It says that its most popular test kits include:
- Total Box: This requires a blood, urine, and swab sample. It tests for 14 STIs, including hepatitis and syphilis. A person can add a human papillomavirus test for an extra fee.
- Safe Box: This requires a blood, urine, and swab sample. It tests for five common STIs, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, and HIV.
- V-Box: This requires a swab sample. It screens for five common conditions that can cause unusual vaginal discharge, including chlamydia, bacterial vaginosis, and yeast infections.
- Genital Herpes: This requires a blood sample. It tests for the presence of the herpes simplex virus type 2.
- Chlamydia + Gonorrhea: This requires a urine sample. It tests for these two STIs.
- HIV: This requires a finger prick blood sample. It screens for the presence of HIV.
The table below compares some of the STI tests that myLAB Box offers.
|Total Box||Safe Box||V-Box||Genital Herpes||Chlamydia + Gonorrhea||HIV|
|Number of STIs it tests for||14||5||5||1||2||1|
|What it tests for||chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, and syphilis, among others||chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, and HIV||bacterial vaginosis, yeast infections, trichomoniasis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea||genital herpes||chlamydia and gonorrhea||HIV|
|Sample collection||blood, urine, and swab||blood, urine, and swab||swab||blood sample||urine sample||finger prick blood sample|
|Buying options||one-time purchase and subscription||one-time purchase and subscription||one-time purchase and subscription||one-time purchase||one-time purchase||one-time purchase and subscription|
The full range of myLab Box sexual health tests are available to purchase online for $59–399.
myLAB Box offers several toxicology tests, such as:
- Heavy Metals Test: This requires a urine sample. It screens for several heavy metals, including lead and arsenic. High levels of these metals can lead to heavy metal poisoning.
- 5-Panel Drug Test: This requires a urine sample. It screens for cocaine, amphetamine, methamphetamine, cannabis, opiates, and phencyclidine.
- Comprehensive Drug Test: This requires a urine sample. It screens for several drugs, including barbiturates, oxycodone, ecstasy, and methadone.
The myLab Box toxicology tests are available to purchase online for $49–199.
On the myLAB Box website, a person can also buy:
- Anti-viral face masks: These are made from double-layered fabric. They are washable, reusable, water-repellant, and stain-resistant. There is an inner pocket for a filter.
- Antibacterial masks: These are triple-layered, and the interior lining is gentle on the skin. They resist water and dust and offer UV protection. In addition, these masks are washable and reusable, and each has an adjustable nose clip.
- Gift cards: A person can buy $25, $50, $100, or $200 cards, and the recipient can use the amount toward any at-home wellness test. The customer can also add a personalized message.
The following table compares myLAB Box with LetsGetChecked and Everlywell, two other companies that offer at-home tests.
Learn more about LetsGetChecked here.
|Test types||COVID & Flu|
Energy + Weight
|Results time||1–5 days||2–5 days||within days|
|Follow-up care||free physician consultation if test results are positive||nurses available at all times to offer advice||information unavailable|
|Lab certification||CLIA- and CAP-certified||CLIA- and CAP-certified||CLIA-regulated|
|Subscription for regular testing||available for some tests||available for some tests||available for some tests|
|BBB rating||no reviews||1.17 stars out of 5||1.14 stars out of 5|
Below, we answer some frequently asked questions about myLAB Box:
How reliable are myLAB Box tests?
myLAB Box claims that it uses methodologies similar to those of the labs doctors use and that the results of its tests and a doctor’s test are comparable.
If an individual receives a test result that they believe is incorrect or worrying, they should contact a healthcare professional for further advice.
Is myLAB Box discreet?
myLAB Box ships its test kits in discreet packaging. The test kits and return envelopes do not have the company’s name or logo on the packaging.
Additionally, myLAB Box notes that privacy is one of its main concerns. It claims that it will not share a person’s test results with their health insurance provider or the Medical Information Bureau.
However, states and territories require laboratories, healthcare professionals, and hospitals to
What lab does myLAB Box use?
myLAB Box uses labs that are CLIA- and CAP-certified.
This means that the labs the company uses have to adhere to regulations and reviews from different organizations to ensure the accuracy of their results.
myLAB Box offers multiple at-home test kits that screen for wellness, sexual health, and toxicology, among other things. The company offers fast test results and a free consultation with a physician if the test results are positive.
However, individuals should not use these tests as a replacement for advice, testing, or diagnosis from a healthcare professional. People should interpret the results of their test with the help of a doctor.