We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
myLAB Box is a company that sells at-home tests that screen for various conditions, such as sexually transmitted infections (STIs), men’s and women’s health, and general wellness. The company uses CLIA- and CAP-certified labs to process tests and offers a free consultation with a physician if test results are positive.
While at-home tests can offer a more affordable way of testing for certain conditions, a person should not use these products as a replacement for advice, testing, or diagnosis from a healthcare professional.
This article discusses what myLAB Box is, the tests it offers, and the pros and cons of using this service.
We refer to “women,” “men,” or both to align with how companies market their products, but there is no need to stick to one type or the other. A person should choose the product that best suits their needs.
myLAB Box currently offers tests in the following categories:
- COVID & Flu
- Women’s Health
- Men’s Health
- Sexual Health
- Family Planning
Additionally, the company claims it processes all samples at
myLAB Box offers physician-reviewed results within 1–5 days after receiving a person’s test sample. The company also provides a free consultation with a physician if any test results are positive.
The company states that if a person receives a positive STI test result, its physicians may send a prescription to the individual’s local pharmacy. myLAB Box does not state whether its physicians will offer treatment in case of positive results of other tests.
However, myLAB Box also notes that people can take their test results to a primary care physician for treatment.
myLAB Box offers various at-home tests.
It is of note, however, that people should not use these products as a replacement for advice or diagnosis from a healthcare professional. If an individual receives test results that may indicate the presence of a condition, they should contact a doctor for further advice.
Please note, the writer has not tested these products. All information is research-based.
COVID & Flu
myLAB Box offers two different COVID-19 tests.
COVID + Flu is a test that requires a saliva swab from the mouth. The company then tests this swab to determine whether a person has COVID-19 or flu.
COVID-19 Test – Nasal uses a noninvasive nasal swab to determine whether a person has the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19. myLAB Box states that this product has approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and can detect the virus in 1–2 days from infection.
Many places of employment and education require proof of COVID-19 testing. People who are purchasing a test from myLAB Box should ensure that their employers or educators accept testing from this company.
myLAB Box offers 15 wellness tests, such as:
- Vitamin D: This test requires a finger prick blood sample. The product screens for the levels of vitamin D in the body, which can affect a person’s bone and cellular health.
- Thyroid Screening Test: This test requires a finger prick blood sample. The product measures thyroid hormone levels in the body and may indicate a hormonal imbalance, potentially pointing to hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.
- Metabolism Test: This test requires samples of blood and saliva. The product measures the levels of cortisol, testosterone, and thyroid-stimulating hormone, which can affect a person’s metabolism.
myLAB Box offers three tests for women’s health:
- Perimenopause Test: This test requires a sample of blood and saliva. The product measures the levels of several hormones, including follicle-stimulating hormone, estradiol, and progesterone.
- Postmenopause Test: This test requires a saliva sample. The product measures the levels of estradiol and progesterone, which can affect an individual’s metabolism, bone density, and memory after menopause.
- Women’s Health: This test requires a sample of blood and saliva. The product measures the levels of several hormones to provide information on a person’s general wellness and fertility.
myLAB Box offers one test for men, the Men’s Health test kit. This test requires a sample of blood and saliva.
The product measures testosterone, cortisol, dehydroepiandrosterone, and estradiol levels in the body.
If an individual has high or low amounts of these hormones, they should contact a healthcare professional for further advice.
myLAB Box offers 19 different sexual health tests. The company states that its most popular tests include:
- Total Box: This test kit requires a blood, urine, and swab sample. The product tests for 14 different STIs, including hepatitis and syphilis. People can add on a human papillomavirus test for an extra fee.
- Safe Box: This test kit requires a blood, urine, and swab sample. The product tests for five common STIs, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, and HIV.
- V-Box: This test kit requires a swab sample. The product screens for five common conditions underlying unusual vaginal discharge, including chlamydia, bacterial vaginosis, and yeast infections.
- Genital Herpes: This test kit requires a blood sample. The product tests for the presence of the herpes simplex virus type 2.
- Chlamydia + Gonorrhea: This test kit requires a urine sample. The product tests for the presence of chlamydia and gonorrhea.
- HIV: This test kit requires a finger prick blood sample and screens for the presence of HIV.
myLAB Box offers several tests that may aid in family planning, including:
- Male Fertility Test: This test requires a sperm sample. The product screens for sperm count, which can affect an individual’s fertility.
- Female Fertility Test: This test requires a blood and saliva sample. The product measures the levels of several hormones, such as estradiol and progesterone, that can have an impact on a person’s fertility.
- Ovulation Confirmation Test: This test requires a urine sample. The product measures the levels of progesterone in urine, which may indicate whether a person is ovulating.
myLAB Box offers several toxicology tests, such as:
- Heavy Metals Test: This test requires a urine sample. The product screens for the presence of several heavy metals, including lead and arsenic. High levels of these metals can lead to heavy metal poisoning.
- 5-Panel Drug Test: This test requires a urine sample. The product screens for the presence of cocaine, amphetamine, methamphetamine, cannabis, opiates, and phencyclidine.
- Comprehensive Drug Test: This test requires a urine sample. The product screens for the presence of several drugs, including barbiturates, oxycodone, ecstasy, and methadone.
myLAB Box offers various at-home tests.
To use this service, a person needs to start by selecting the test they wish to use. The test kits contain instructions and all the tools needed to collect the sample the product requires. It is important to follow the instructions carefully to ensure the sample is valid.
Once an individual has collected their sample, they need to post it in the prepaid envelope that the company provides. CLIA- and CAP-certified labs process the tests and return the results within 1–5 days of receiving the delivery.
If a person’s test results are positive, myLAB Box will offer a free consultation with a board-certified physician. The company states that its medical team consists of experts in sexual health, STI prevention, wellness, and more.
It is of note that people should discuss any positive test results with a primary care physician.
At the time of publication, myLAB Box does not hold accreditation with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The BBB gives the company an A grade. The company does not have any reviews.
On Trustpilot, customers give myLAB Box an average rating of 3 stars out of five. The majority of reviewers give the company five stars.
The authors of positive reviews state that the service is convenient and professional, with several people emphasizing the peace of mind they felt after taking the tests.
However, the authors of negative reviews note that they experienced slow delivery of tests and received the wrong test kits or incorrect results. Also, some customers had difficulty contacting myLAB Box customer service.
Before purchasing a test kit from myLAB Box, individuals may wish to consider the pros and cons of this service:
The authors observe that at-home test kits can empower people to take charge of their health. Additionally, at-home tests may be more convenient than making an appointment with a doctor.
The researchers also state that people may be less embarrassed about testing for STIs at home than through a doctor.
However, at-home test kits also have some potential disadvantages. The review authors say that while at-home test kits may save money and time, some healthcare professionals may prefer to test a person again.
Additionally, the researchers raise some concerns about contact tracing STIs when a person tests for these infections at home. People may also not test for other infections that commonly occur alongside STIs.
Reportable and notifiable conditions
It is of note that companies
Each state or territory has local laws about which conditions healthcare professionals, laboratories, and hospitals must report.
State or territory public health departments will use this information to detect outbreaks. The list of conditions that public health departments watch for may change each year.
Additionally, states and territories may voluntarily notify the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) when they receive information about a condition.
The CDC updates the list of notifiable diseases and conditions annually.
According to the CDC, the case records do not contain any information that is personally identifiable. The organization uses these data to alert communities and the country to outbreaks.
HIPAA sets out the minimum requirements for privacy protection. However, some state laws may provide greater protection than HIPAA. For instance, some states may provide greater privacy protection regarding mental health and HIV infections.
Each test purchase comes with a prepaid return envelope, which a person uses to send their samples off for analysis.
The cost of a myLAB Box test depends on which test an individual purchases. The following table outlines the price of the company’s most popular tests.
All prices are correct at the time of publication.
|COVID + Flu||$149|
|COVID-19 Test – Nasal||$119|
|Thyroid Screening Test||$139|
|Chlamydia + Gonorrhea||$89|
|Male Fertility Test||$89|
|Female Fertility Test||$149|
|Ovulation Confirmation Test||$32|
|Heavy Metals Test||$199|
|5-Panel Drug Test||$49|
|Comprehensive Drug Test||$99|
The company accepts payment from flexible savings accounts and health savings accounts. However, myLAB Box states that insurance providers do not cover its tests.
The following table compares myLAB Box with LetsGetChecked and Everlywell, two other companies that offer at-home tests.
|Test types||• COVID & Flu|
• Women’s Health
• Men’s Health
• Sexual Health
• Family Planning
|• Sexual Health|
• Women’s Health
• Men’s Health
|• General Wellness|
• Men’s Health
• Women’s Health
• Energy + Weight
• Sexual Health
|Results time||1–5 days||2–5 days||within days of sample delivery|
|Follow-up care||The company offers a free consultation with a physician if test results are positive.||A team of nurses is available at all times to offer advice.||no information available|
Below, we answer some frequently asked questions about myLAB Box:
How reliable are myLAB Box tests?
myLAB Box claims that it uses methodologies similar to those of the labs doctors use and that the results of its tests and a doctor’s test are comparable.
If an individual receives a test result that they believe is incorrect or worrying, they should contact a healthcare professional for further advice.
Is myLAB Box discreet?
myLAB Box ships its test kits in discreet packaging. The test kits and return envelopes do not have the company’s name or logo on the packaging.
Additionally, myLAB Box notes that privacy is one of its main concerns. It claims that it will not share a person’s test results with their health insurance provider or the Medical Information Bureau.
However, states and territories require laboratories, healthcare professionals, and hospitals to
What lab does myLAB Box use?
myLAB Box uses labs that are CLIA- and CAP-certified.
This means that the labs the company uses have to adhere to regulations and reviews from different organizations to ensure the accuracy of their results.
myLAB Box offers multiple at-home test kits that screen for wellness, sexual health, and toxicology, among other things. The company offers fast test results and a free consultation with a physician if the test results are positive.
However, individuals should not use these tests as a replacement for advice, testing, or diagnosis from a healthcare professional. People should interpret the results of their test with the help of a doctor.