We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Nebulizer machines are devices that doctors may prescribe for people with respiratory conditions. A person can choose a stationary nebulizer or a portable one with a rechargeable battery that they can use while traveling.
Nebulizer is a device that turns liquid medication into a mist so a person can inhale it into their lungs. The device sends the mist through a tube connected to a mask or mouth piece. Treatment can take 5–10 minutes or more.
Nebulizer machines may help with respiratory conditions, such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
A doctor may prescribe the use of a nebulizer to infants and young children, since they cannot use metered dose inhalers.
There are three types of nebulizer that a doctor may recommend or prescribe for a person to use:
- Mesh: These have a mesh screen that turns asthma medication into a liquid mist for a person to inhale. Sometimes, the mesh can get clogged or break, and the devices can be expensive.
- Jet: These use compressed air to create a liquid mist for inhalation. Jet nebulizers may be large and use utility power.
- Ultrasonic: These nebulizer machines use ultrasonic waves that turn the medication into a liquid mist. Most of them are small and have a portable design, so health professionals may recommend them for travelers.
Medical News Today chose nebulizer machines that fit the following criteria:
- Ease of use: Most of the nebulizer machines have a one-button function and an automatic shut-off feature.
- Weight: Most of the nebulizers have a lightweight design, making it easier to carry and travel with them.
- Noise levels: Most of the products operate quietly.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
MAYLUCK Portable Handheld Nebulizer
This portable, handheld nebulizer is cordless and lightweight. It works with both a power cable and batteries, so people can use it wherever they go and when the batteries run out.
The device comes with various features, including:
- a two-mist spray mode offering a weak and strong mist to choose from
- indicator lights
- low residue levels
- a removable dust cover
The manufacturer recommends cleaning the cup after each use to help prevent clogging.
Pros and cons
This nebulizer is easy to hold and operates quietly. It also comes with an easy-to-clean cup and has LED indicator lights.
However, some authors of reviews on Amazon say that the product stopped working after a few uses. Others also note that they noticed some leakage and rust.
Tangxia Cordless Personal Nebulizer
This Tangxia nebulizer uses mesh technology, which produces fine mist so that people experience immediate results.
The device may be suitable for individuals of all ages, as well as those with shortness of breath, sinusitis, cough, or fever.
Additionally, a person can use the machine when lying down or sitting.
Pros and cons
Pros of this nebulizer include:
- quiet operation
- a portable design
- low residue levels
- food-grade material
However, according to some reviewers on Amazon, the device takes time to vaporize and can rust. Others also claim that the manual is not informative enough.
MGLIFMLY Compressor Nebulizer
This jet nebulizer comes with a solution cup, a nebulizer device, two masks, a detachable cable, and a pack of air filter cotton.
According to the manufacturer, the device is suitable for individuals of all ages. It also states that residue levels are low and that users can adjust the mist rate to match their preference.
Pros and cons
The following are some potential pros of this device:
- one-button operation
- high-temperature resistance
- compatibility with boiling water for disinfection
It may also resist corrosion well.
However, some users note on Amazon that the device can be noisy, may be too big for some people, and may stop working after a few uses. Others claim that the nebulizer had defective parts.
DeVilbiss Traveler Portable Compressor Nebulizer System
This Devilbiss Healthcare portable compressor nebulizer system delivers small particles into the lungs.
Some of the accessories that a person gets with their purchase include:
- disposable and reusable nebulizers
- extra filters
- an extra filter door
- a tubing adapter
- a carrying case
The device offers a 10-minute treatment.
Pros and cons
Some potential pros of this device are one-touch button operation and fast treatment. It is also lightweight and compact.
However, it may be noisy, so it may not be the best choice for individuals who do not wish to disturb others.
Ultrasonic Nebulizer Machine
Some of the features of this nebulizer machine include:
- an ergonomic design
- an adjustable spray size
- a button indicator light
- a built-in lithium battery
- an automatic shut-off function
Pros and cons
A person who buys this nebulizer machine can benefit from several potential advantages, including:
- low levels of residual fluid
- low noise levels
- a water detection feature
- an anti-skid design
The device is also USB rechargeable.
However, authors of negative reviews claim that the machine stopped working after the first few uses and that the on-and-off button broke.
People who require the use of a nebulizer may wish to consider some of the most important features of these devices:
- Usability: Devices with high nebulization levels target severe breathing problems. Individuals who need a nebulizer for a child may consider choosing one that operates quietly and comes with a pediatric mask. They can also check the machine’s size to ensure that it is suitable for the child.
- Frequency of use: People who travel a lot may opt for a nebulizer machine that has a portable design and uses batteries.
- Noise levels: Some devices provide more discrete operation, with low noise levels.
- Ease of use: Many brands produce nebulizers that are easy to use, as they have a one-button feature and an automatic shut-off function.
- Medication delivery: This depends on a person’s condition, as some individuals require high doses of medications. A nebulizer should come with a medication reservoir that can accommodate the required amount of the drug.
Below are some frequently asked questions about nebulizer machines:
What are the side effects of using a nebulizer?
The authors of a 2018 article observe that nebulization therapy allows the medication to start working immediately, because the medication goes directly into the lungs.
Side effects are rare, and if they occur, they are not as severe as those that people may experience when taking oral medication.
The researchers also note that individuals are more likely to develop side effects from the drug itself rather than from the nebulizer.
However, individuals who are concerned about their condition or medication should not stop their treatment without consulting a doctor. This can help prevent potential asthma attacks.
How do you use a nebulizer machine?
A person should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using a medical device.
Some general tips for safe use of a nebulizer include the following:
- Plug the device in and then add the medication to the cup.
- Make sure the air compressor is in a steady position.
- Check that the tubing is securely fastened to the nebulizer cup and compressor before each use.
- Take deep breaths into the mask until all the medication is gone.
Nebulizers can be beneficial for people who have respiratory conditions, such as asthma or COPD.
Nebulizers are available on prescription, and doctors can help individuals choose a product that best fits their lifestyle, condition, and budget.
In addition, a person should follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using the device and consult a doctor if they are worried about any side effects that they might experience.