We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Nectar is a popular mattress brand in the United States. It markets itself as selling affordable yet high quality mattresses. Nectar sells different mattresses alongside a range of bedding and bedroom furniture.
This article discusses the Nectar brand and its mattresses, alternatives, and health considerations.
According to the Nectar website, the company has won the following awards:
- Best Memory Foam Mattress 2020 – Sleep Foundation
- Best Mattress of the Year 2019 and Best Overall Mattress 2020 – USA Today
- Best Value Memory Foam Mattress 2019 – Tuck Award
- Best Value Mattress 2019 – Mattress Advisor
Based on online reviews, the company has an overall positive reputation. Review sites praise Nectar for providing durable, high-value mattresses for budget-conscious consumers. Positive reviews also comment on the long trial period.
Some customers note that the Nectar mattresses may feel too firm for some sleepers. Others point out that the mattresses may feel too hot, as an all-foam mattress can trap heat.
Each mattress comes with a 365-night trial, free shipping and returns, and a “forever warranty” that includes repairs and replacements.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
This memory foam mattress is available in six sizes, from twin to Cal king. It is 11 inches (in) thick, and Nectar states it will work on any bed frame.
The company claims its memory foam mattress is breathable and allows airflow.
The mattress consists of five different layers:
- a Tencel quilted cover for cooling
- a gel memory foam layer for even weight distribution
- a responsive layer to prevent sinking
- a base layer for support
- a base mattress cover to prevent slipping
Nectar claims this model is suitable for all sleeping positions and can relieve pressure points while supporting spinal alignment.
People looking for a medium-firm mattress may benefit from this Nectar product. However, some reviewers rate it higher on the firmness scale.
This mattress is similar to the original model but offers greater cooling benefits and pressure relief. It is also a more expensive option.
This model is 12 in thick but otherwise available in the same sizes as the original model.
The Nectar Lush consists of five different layers:
- a cooling top layer to draw heat away from the body
- a gel memory foam and cooling material to help regulate temperature and provide pressure relief
- a high density memory foam layer for extra bounce, movement, and quick recovery
- a base foam layer for extra support and durability
The Nectar Lush Mattress contains additional cooling materials. People who sleep hot or experience night sweats may find that this model provides a cooler sleep.
A number of mattress companies are available online. Brands similar to Nectar include:
- Casper: This brand sells a range of foam and hybrid mattresses at a lower cost than some competitors. Learn about the similarities and differences between Nectar and Casper here.
- Purple: This company sells mattresses using its unique grid design that may provide support and flexibility. Learn about the similarities and differences between Nectar and Purple here.
- Tuft & Needle: This brand sells three different mattresses: two all-foam models and one hybrid option. Learn about the similarities and differences between Nectar and Tuft & Needle here.
Both Nectar mattresses are medium-firm to firm. This may suit people with back pain or those experiencing aches and stiffness from sleeping on their current mattress.
According to a 2016 review, a medium-firm mattress may reduce chronic lower back pain. A 2015 study found that a medium-firm mattress may help improve musculoskeletal pain in institutionalized older adults.
The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress is a slightly firmer option, which may suit people who sleep on their back or stomach. Side sleepers may find that the Nectar Lush Mattress offers greater pressure relief for the hips and shoulders.
To support spinal health, the American Chiropractic Association recommends choosing a mattress that offers support yet still feels comfortable.
Both Nectar mattresses use memory foam. The Environmental Working Group recommends choosing a mattress that does not contain polyurethane foam. This type of foam may contain high levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which may be harmful to health.
Nectar mattresses use foam that is CertiPUR-US certified. This certification restricts the use of harmful flame retardants and heavy metals and limits VOC emissions.
If people are concerned about the use of chemicals in mattresses, they may want to choose a mattress made from natural materials, such as organic latex, wool, or cotton.
People can also look for mattresses with certifications such as GREENGUARD and OEKO-TEX Standard 100, which ban or limit harmful chemicals.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Nectar mattresses:
How much do Nectar mattresses cost?
Nectar mattresses retail for around $500–2,000, depending on the mattress model and size. Nectar hosts online sales and offers discounts for bundles, which may affect the price.
What types of mattresses does Nectar sell?
Nectar sells a range of memory foam mattresses and hybrid mattresses, which combine foam and springs. These are available in sizes ranging from twin to Cal king.
What else does Nectar sell?
Alongside mattresses, Nectar sells bed frames, bedding, pillows, bedroom furniture, and dog beds.
Overall, reviewers rate Nectar mattresses highly for value for money and quality materials.
The Nectar Memory Foam Mattress is the less expensive mattress the company offers. It may suit people looking for a memory foam mattress with a firm, supportive feel. If people sleep hotter, they may find that the Nectar Lush provides a cooler sleep.
If an all-foam mattress does not suit a person’s sleeping preferences or needs, they may want to look at other brands offering hybrid or innerspring mattresses.