We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Adjustable dumbbells offer a strength-training tool for people with limited storage space. NordicTrack’s Select-a-Weight dumbbell set allows people to adjust the weight based on their fitness level and desired workout intensity.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
NordicTrack started manufacturing home gym equipment in 1975. It is well-known for its:
It offers a subscription app, iFit, which allows people to access different workout programs. There is also a free 30-day trial for individuals who download the app.
At the time of publication, NordicTrack has a rating of 1.27 out of 5 stars from 391 reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website. The website states that NordicTrack is not BBB-accredited but holds an A+ rating with the organization. Some reviews report receiving damaged products and that representatives were unable to replace them.
TrustPilot gives it an average rating of 3.1 out of 5 stars for 874 reviews. Some negatives concern delayed shipping and customers not receiving their products. However, positive reviews praise the quality of iFit, as individuals could access different workout programs.
NordicTrack’s Select-a-Weight dumbbell set contains 15 weights in one dumbbell. The weight increments can adjust from 10–55 pounds (lb). The handlebars weigh 10 lb.
The dumbbell set includes storage trays and a quick adjustment system.
The equipment comes with a one-year iFit membership, which has an extensive library of workouts. At the time of publication, the 12-month membership is $396. This allows customers to add up to four user profiles to the membership, which may be helpful if they live with friends or relatives who also want to exercise.
NordicTrack adjustable dumbbells have a P65 Warning label, which indicates the product may contain chemicals that can cause cancers or congenital anomalies.
Individuals who purchase home gym equipment from NordicTrack may benefit from:
- A 30-day return policy: This allows customers to return their products for a refund or replacement within 30 days if they are not satisfied with the equipment.
- Free consultations: People can book free consultations with the company’s fitness consultants. The consultants can help them choose the right product for their needs, or discuss payment options, assembly and delivery, and warranty information.
- Order tracking: Customers can use the order number they received through email to track their order status.
- The company offers finance plans for those who prefer to pay over time instead of up front.
- Customers who have issues with their equipment can return it within 30 days. They can request a replacement or a refund.
- Customers can add multiple user profiles to their iFit membership. This may be beneficial if their family members want to add NordicTrack’s programs to their workout routine.
- Individuals who need help choosing their home gym equipment can book a free consultation with NordicTrack’s fitness trainers.
- The product may experience shipping delays.
- Customers have had difficulty securing refunds from NordicTrack.
- Customers have been unable to receive replacements on damaged or defective products.
- Cost may be a concern for some customers.
Some other products that people can use for strength-training exercises include:
- Kettlebells: These come with one handle and are dome-shaped.
One articlefound that kettlebells can improve muscle strength and maximum oxygen uptake. Learn about adjustable kettlebells here.
- Resistance bands: These are elastic bands that can target all muscle groups. They may suit individuals with limited space.
- Medicine balls: These are weighted balls that individuals can use for crunches, pushups, and other exercises.
Other companies that manufacture adjustable dumbbells and strength-training equipment include:
- Bowflex: This company has been in business since 1986 and is well-known for its treadmills, bikes, and weights. It offers financing plans for customers who prefer to pay in monthly installments. Learn about Bowflex dumbbells here.
- PowerBlock: The company manufactures adjustable dumbbells, kettlebells, and fitness accessories, such as stands and benches. Individuals can find videos on the company website showing different types of workouts. Learn about PowerBlock dumbbells here.
- ProForm: In addition to adjustable dumbbells, the company sells elliptical machines, rowers, treadmills, bikes, and fitness mirrors. Customers can also subscribe to the iFit app, which provides various workout programs. Learn more about ProForm here.
- Core Home Fitness: This home gym equipment company allows customers to download its smartphone app, which provides different training courses.
As with any other fitness equipment, these fitness tools come with benefits and risks.
Benefits of dumbbell workouts
The American Council on Exercise (ACE) states that dumbbells can:
- increase muscle tissue flexibility
- allow individuals to focus on one arm or leg at a time
- provide a variety of exercises and different movement patterns
- work different muscle groups
The AHA also says regular exercise can reduce the chance of having a heart attack. However, those who have had a heart attack or stroke should seek medical advice before engaging in physical exercise. This will ensure that the activity is safe and suitable for them.
Risks and warming up
According to the ACE, individuals require different warmups depending on the type of exercise they are doing. It recommends that those doing resistance training use dynamic stretches to move their muscles. Warmups can include arm circles and ankle rolls.
Additionally, Harvard Medical School suggests that people increase their weights slowly, depending on the workout intensity. It adds that individuals should allow their muscles to recover for about 48 hours. Strength-training tools can tear muscle tissue, but muscle strength improves as the tissue heals.
NordicTrack manufactures home gym equipment for those who prefer or need to work out indoors.
It offers adjustable dumbbells for people who want to engage in strength-training exercises. These may suit different workout intensities, as users can adjust the weight they are lifting.
Evidence suggests that strength-training exercises can improve muscle strength and flexibility. However, people who have had a heart attack or stroke should see a doctor before starting to work out. This will ensure that the exercise is safe for their condition.