We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Ortho Mattress is a mattress company based in California. It offers several options to suit a range of sleeping styles and budgets.
- For affordable mattresses: Club collection
- For hybrid mattresses: Dr. Preferred Reserve
- For memory foam mattresses: Avant
- For aromatherapy mattresses: Entice
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information is purely research-based.
Ortho Mattress is a family-owned company based in Southern California, in the United States. It manufactures and sells a range of bedding products. Founded in 1957, the company merged with W. Simmons Industries in 1996.
Ortho Mattress handcrafts its mattresses in its factory and sells them in its stores in California, as well as online. It says it has factory-direct prices.
The company also highlights an emphasis on sustainable practices, such as selling locally, recycling scrap materials and old mattresses, and upcycling nylon Christmas tree scraps by incorporating them into its mattresses.
Mattress review sites praise Ortho Mattress for providing options for lower budgets. The products also have a range of firmnesses, from plush to extra firm.
Negative reviews report that some mattresses do offer adequate edge support for some customers. Some reviewers have also noted issues with durability. In addition, some online reviews rate Ortho Mattress poorly for value and warranty service.
Other brands available on the Ortho Mattress website include:
Before making a purchase, a person might want to consider:
It can be helpful to read these reviews on the company’s website and on external websites, such as those of the Better Business Bureau and Trustpilot.
This can help a person get a fuller understanding of the pros and cons. Also, some organizations, such as the Better Business Bureau, have an open record of customer complaints and how many the company has addressed.
There are several different kinds of mattresses, including spring, memory foam, and hybrid.
Memory foam mattresses contain supportive foam to relieve pressure on the body, whereas hybrid mattresses have a combination of springs and foam to provide extra support and airflow.
A person may wish to consider purchasing a mattress with a trial period to ensure that it meets their needs.
Most companies offer a trial period, though the length can vary between companies and mattress models.
A person should opt for a mattress with a sufficient trial period. Most companies recommend trying out a mattress for 1 month before making a final decision.
People should carefully read all warranty materials before purchasing mattresses, which can be a significant investment.
It is important to know how long a warranty lasts and what activities or damage void it. People should also be sure that they understand the claims process and how long it might take to refund or exchange the mattress.
Before making a purchase, a person might consider:
- Cost: Ortho Mattress has several lines of mattresses, each with various models of different prices.
- Firmness: People should consider whether they prefer a plush, medium, or firm mattress.
- Material: The company’s mattresses contain either latex or memory foam. Hybrid models also contain springs, which can promote extra airflow.
- Extra features: Ortho Mattress sells aromatherapy mattresses that may promote relaxation. The company also has several models with cooling materials, which may benefit people who overheat while sleeping.
For affordable mattresses
The Club collection is the most affordable line that Ortho offers.
These innerspring mattresses contain CertiPUR-US-certified foam, as well as edge support. They can work with an adjustable bed base.
There are six models in the Club collection:
- Club 1: This is best for a lower budget and has a luxury firm feel.
- Club I Pillow Top: This is medium-firm and best for side sleepers. It has a pillow top for pressure relief and lower back support.
- Club Signature I Extra Firm: This is extra-firm and designed to provide better support.
- Club Signature II Plush: Containing gel-infused memory foam, this medium-firm mattress is suitable for all sleeping positions.
- Club Signature III Luxury Firm: This luxury-firm mattress is good for restless sleepers, the makers say. It may also support the lower back and provide pressure relief.
- Club Signature IV Pillow Top: This mattress has a soft feel and gel-infused memory foam.
For hybrid mattresses
The Reserve collection is a premium line of innerspring and hybrid mattresses.
Each model has individually pocketed coils and gel-infused memory foam or latex foam layers.
People can choose from 16 models, with a range of prices and firmness levels. A few of these options include:
- Pembridge: This mattress has a cooling Tencel cover and gel-infused memory foam.
- Elgin: This mattress has a memory foam quilted cover.
- Westbourne: This has extra coil support in the center.
- Lansdowne: This mattress has a CoolQuilt cover, for a cooling surface.
- Cosmos: This mattress has wool and horsehair for natural temperature regulation and breathability.
For memory foam mattresses
The Avant collection is a range of high-density memory foam mattresses.
Each has open-cell foam to promote airflow and adapt to body temperature. Some also come with a CoolQuilt top to prevent overheating.
People can choose from a range of prices and firmness levels. Some models in this collection include:
- Avant Firm: The firmest mattress in this collection, it has a height of 12 inches (in) and a CoolQuilt top.
- Avant Luxury Firm: This has a medium feel, a CoolQuilt top, and a height of 12 in.
- Avant Plush: This is the softest in the Avant collection and comes with a CoolQuilt top. It is also 12 in high.
- Nightfall: This firm mattress has a height of 6 in and is more affordable.
- Sunset: This medium-firm mattress has a height of 8 in.
- Sky Floor Model: This mattress is firm and has a height of 9 in.
- Harmony Floor Model: This mattress is luxury plush and the best option for side sleepers. It has a height of 11 in.
For aromatherapy mattresses
The Entice collection contains essential oils to promote relaxation, the company says, and romance.
Each model is an innerspring mattress with latex and memory foam layers. People can choose from firm, plush, and pillow top options.
Before purchasing an Ortho mattress, a person might think about these upsides and downsides.
- The company sells a wide range of mattresses with options for many budgets.
- There are many different options for firmness.
- The company offers a 100-night sleep trial.
- Each mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Some customers report that they received damaged mattresses.
- Some customers note that Ortho mattresses are smaller than other mattresses.
- Some customers report difficulty with returns and exchanges.
According to a 2008 survey from the Better Sleep Council, people with newer mattresses are more likely to get the recommended 7–8 hours of sleep per night.
A 2015 review found that mattresses that users identify as medium-firm provide the best comfort, sleep quality, and spinal alignment.
Also, an older study, from 2006, which involved 16 participants, found that using a “comfortable” mattress resulted in less wakefulness during sleep and a higher likelihood of deep sleep.
Below are some frequently asked questions about Ortho mattresses.
Can people change their Ortho order?
Ortho Mattress says that a person cannot change their order once the company has started processing it. People can contact the company to amend an order before the processing has begun.
People who live outside of the company’s usual delivery area can cancel their order before delivery at no extra cost.
Where does Ortho deliver?
Ortho delivers throughout the continental United States.
It also offers same-day delivery in certain areas when a person buys an in-stock item before 2 p.m.
When do people receive their refunds from Ortho?
Ortho Mattress says it processes all refunds once it receives the products, within 10 business days.
Ortho Mattress has a wide selection of mattresses to suit a range of budgets and sleeping positions.
Positive customer reviews report better sleep quality, less overheating, and improved comfort and support. Negative reviews cite issues with durability, returns, and exchanges.
For anyone looking for a new mattress, researching the options, reading reviews on a range of sites, and considering personal needs and preferences is key.