We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Many companies market penis enlargement pills and claim that these pills can increase a person’s penis size. However, there is no scientific evidence that these supplements work.
This article explores the use of penis enlargement pills, their side effects, and alternative treatments.
Penis enlargement pills are products that manufacturers claim can enlarge an individual’s penis and increase their energy levels and sexual performance. Many online brands market these supplements as male enhancement pills. However, according to the United Kingdom National Health Service (NHS), any health benefits these supplements claim are clinically unproven.
A person with concerns about their penis size may consider purchasing penis enlargement pills. However, many people who believe their penis is smaller than average actually have an average penis size.
Another study explains that those with an average penis size but believe they have less girth may have penile dysmorphophobic disorder. This condition causes people to have severe anxiety about their penis size.
Micropenis is a rare condition where the penis is significantly smaller than average. The condition often has links with hormonal differences in certain people. Peyronie’s disease is a condition where the penis develops a characteristic bend when erect. This may make the penis appear smaller than average.
The NHS states that although penis enlargement pill manufacturers claim these products increase the penis’s size, there is no clinical evidence to suggest that they can boost an individual’s sexual performance or increase penis length or girth.
According to the
Individuals with concerns about their penis size should consult a urologist or a doctor specializing in sexual health. They may recommend different treatment options that include the below.
The NHS recommends the following lifestyle changes to increase a person’s confidence in their penis size:
- Grooming: People can trim the pubic hair around the penis to make it look bigger.
- Maintaining a moderate weight: Having a larger stomach that hangs over the pubic area can make a penis appear smaller.
- Partaking in regular physical activity: Increasing overall fitness may lead to more confidence and better sex.
Traction devices work by stretching the penis tissue, which may lead to an increase in penis length.
Individuals can wear traction devices, or penile extenders, for around an hour each day. These devices may be beneficial for those with Peyronie’s disease.
A 2019 study reviewed the effects of RestoreX, a penile traction therapy device, in individuals with Peyronie’s disease. The device improved penile curvature and erectile function and did not produce any adverse effects.
Vacuum erection devices
Individuals with ED may consider vacuum pumps to help them keep an erection. They fit these devices over their penis and pump air out to create a vacuum, which draws blood into the penis, resulting in swelling.
Vacuum pumps do not increase penis size but may help a person achieve an erection.
According to a 2014 study, doctors may recommend vacuum erection devices alongside mediation, such as sildenafil, to treat erectile dysfunction after prostate cancer treatment.
Individuals may perform jelqing exercises, which involve using their thumb and index finger to pull the flaccid penis, improving blood flow. This technique may increase the length and girth of an erect penis.
However, there are
The Urology Care Foundation states that surgery is suitable for individuals whose penis is less than 7.5 centimeters (cm) when stretched.
There are three types of surgical procedures for penis enlargement:
- Liposuction: Surgeons remove fat from the stomach to make the penis appear more prominent. People may be able to see up to 2 cm more of the penis after this procedure.
- Suspensory ligament division: The doctor cuts the suspensory ligament that attaches the penis to the public bone. This causes the angle of the penis to drop, making it look longer when a person has an erection. However, individuals may find penetrative sex harder after this procedure due to the change in angle of the erect penis. The American Urologic Society does not recommend this procedure.
- Fat transfer: Surgeons remove fat from other parts of the body and inject it into the penis, increasing girth. However, this procedure can lead to scarring, lumps, and infection.
There are no pills that can enlarge the penis, but some prescription medications may benefit individuals with erectile dysfunction. These help increase blood flow to the penis, making it easier for people to have and maintain an erection.
Doctors may prescribe:
- Sildenafil (Viagra): This prescription drug is available in doses of 20–100 milligrams (mg).
- Tadalafil (Cialis): This prescription drug is available in doses of 5–20 (mg).
- Avanafil (Stendra, Spedra): This prescription drug is available in 10–20 (mg) doses.
These medications are also available to purchase from online pharmacies or telehealth companies such as Hims, Lemonaid, and Roman. Individuals must usually undergo a consultation and receive a prescription before ordering from these companies.
People should seek medical advice if they have concerns with their penis size. Doctors may ask about their medical history to provide a diagnosis and suggest a treatment plan.
A person should disclose whether they are taking dietary supplements that claim to enlarge the penis or enhance performance or sexual activity to their doctor. Some supplements contain undeclared ingredients that can lead to severe adverse reactions when people take them with other prescription medications.
Many companies market penis enlargement pills or other sexual supplements as dietary supplements. They claim that they are safe and effective in increasing penis size.
However, there is currently no clinical evidence that penis enlargement pills work. Instead, research shows that these supplements can be dangerous, as they may contain ingredients in prescription medications.
People with concerns about their penis size should consider the evidence, which shows that most individuals with these worries actually have an average-sized penis. If a person’s penis is truly smaller than average, or an individual is distressed about their perception of it, they should consider seeing a healthcare professional.