We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Many companies market penis enlargement pills and claim that these pills can increase a person’s penis size. However, there is no scientific evidence that these supplements work.
This article explores the use of penis enlargement pills, their side effects, and alternative treatments.
Males and females often benefit from differing vitamin and mineral types, quantities, and combinations. With this in mind, some pharmaceutical companies develop specific formulas of supplements, vitamins, shakes, and health bars to benefit either male or female biology. A person should discuss their options with a doctor or healthcare professional who can help them decide, and choose the product they feel works best for them and their needs.
Penis enlargement pills are products that manufacturers claim can enlarge a person’s penis and increase their energy levels and sexual performance.
Many brands market these supplements as male enhancement pills. However, any health benefits these supplements claim are clinically unproven.
A person with concerns about their penis size may consider purchasing penis enlargement pills. However, some people who believe their penis is smaller than average may actually have an average penis size.
A 2019 study explains that people with an average penis size who believe they have less girth may have a penile dysmorphic disorder. This condition causes people to experience severe anxiety about their penis size.
Micropenis is a rare condition in which the penis is substantially smaller than average. In some people, micropenis is linked with hormonal differences.
Peyronie’s disease is when the penis develops a characteristic bend when erect. This may make the penis appear smaller than average.
Although penis enlargement pill manufacturers claim these products increase the penis’s size, there is no clinical evidence to suggest that they can boost a person’s sexual performance or increase penis length or girth.
According to the
Many penis enlargement pill manufacturers claim their proprietary formulas of herbs, vitamins, minerals, hormones, and botanicals enhance a person’s vitality and sex life to such an extent that their penis grows.
However, these pills may contain unreported ingredients for treating ED, making it easier for a person to achieve and maintain erections. Someone may feel that their penis is longer as a result.
Some manufacturers claim that penis enlargement pills work by:
- increasing total and free testosterone
- improving blood flow to the penis with vasodilators
- increasing semen’s volume of zinc and testosterone
One penis enlargement pill has the following ingredients:
- tongkat ali, which purportedly increases testosterone levels
- maca, an herb the website claims increases sexual stamina
- L-arginine, an amino acid that the company says can prompt the growth of new penis tissue and improve blood flow
- a blend of ginseng roots to increase libido, boost testosterone levels, and fight inflammation
According to an
People taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, a type of antidepressant, should avoid yohimbe to reduce the risk of side effects from these drugs. These antidepressants include phenelzine (Nardil) and tranylcypromine (Parnate).
People with concerns about their penis size should consult a urologist or a doctor specializing in sexual health. They may recommend different treatment options that include the below.
The following lifestyle changes may increase a person’s confidence in their penis size:
- Grooming: People can trim the pubic hair around their penis to make it look bigger.
- Maintaining a moderate weight: Having a larger stomach that hangs over the pubic area can make a penis appear smaller.
- Engaging in regular physical activity: Increasing overall fitness may lead to more confidence and better sex.
- There is no need to speak with a healthcare professional unless a person has a condition that requires medical advice before exercising.
- Once a person purchases grooming equipment, there is no cost to trim pubic hair.
- A person can exercise and spend minimal money by walking or running in a pair of supportive trainers.
- Maintaining a moderate weight and exercising regularly can help people support a health-promoting lifestyle and living longer.
- Personal grooming, exercise, and a nutritious diet may increase a person’s confidence, both in general life and during sex.
- Lifestyle changes do not increase a person’s penis size. For example, trimming pubic hair and losing weight only make the penis appear larger.
- People who live in food deserts may find it difficult to source nutritious food.
- People who work long hours or multiple jobs may find it difficult to prepare nutritious meals.
- People with obesity may find it takes longer to see results than those who are closer to their recommended body weight.
Some companies may offer lotions over the counter. These products may claim to enlarge penises as they contain herbs, hormones, minerals, and vitamins.
However, there is no scientific research to back up that these lotions help with penis enlargement. Additionally, the FDA does not regulate these products, so there is no guarantee they do not contain unsafe ingredients.
Additionally, some lotions may cause side effects, such as rashes and allergic reactions, especially if the product contains unlisted ingredients.
- Lotions tend to be more affordably priced than evidence-based alternatives.
- Lotions are convenient and easy to use.
- There is no evidence that lotions and their ingredients can increase penis size.
- The FDA does not regulate these products, which means they may contain unlisted and unsafe ingredients.
- People may experience side effects, such as an allergic reaction.
Traction devices work by stretching the penis tissue, which may lead to an increase in penis length.
People can wear traction devices, or penile extenders, for around an hour each day. These devices may be beneficial for people with Peyronie’s disease.
Traction devices or extending frames may lead to some growth in penis size, particularly for people with a smaller penis. However, these gains in size are typically only a few centimeters and may take several months of treatment to achieve.
- Traction devices may offer a moderate increase in penile length.
- People with Peyronie’s disease may find that traction devices decrease penile curvature and increase erectile function.
- Some traction devices have FDA approval.
- People can only wear traction devices for an hour, which may fit in with their daily routine as they can wear them at any time.
- Traction devices can cause broken blood vessels and bruising if a person uses them incorrectly.
- It may take several weeks before a person notices any improvement.
- Traction devices do not add inches to penis length, and any improvements are likely to be small or moderate.
Vacuum erection devices
People with ED may consider vacuum pumps to help them maintain an erection. These devices fit over the penis and pump air out to create a vacuum, which draws blood into the penis to cause swelling.
Vacuum pumps do not increase penis size, but they may help a person achieve an erection.
Vacuum devices can treat ED, but there is no clinical evidence of these devices increasing penis size.
- Vacuum devices can help people maintain an erection.
- These devices are available on prescription, which may make sourcing reputable products easier.
- Vacuum devices are a more affordable option than some other treatments, such as surgery.
- While vacuum devices can help people have and maintain an erection, they do not increase the length of the penis.
- Using a vacuum device incorrectly may cause bleeding and bruising.
People may perform jelqing exercises, which involve using their thumb and index finger to pull the flaccid penis and improve blood flow. This technique may increase the length and girth of an erect penis.
However, no scientific studies review the effects of jelqing exercises. Additionally, some side effects of this technique include:
- Performing jelqing exercises is free, which may appeal to those looking for low cost options.
- This technique may help people have and maintain an erection and may increase the length and girth of an erect penis.
- There is no scientific evidence that jelqing massages increase the length of a penis.
- Jelqing massage may cause bruising, pain, and fibrosis. It is important to not massage the penis hard enough to cause injury.
Penile casts, or penis sleeves, are support devices that a person can wear during sexual intercourse. These devices may provide length and rigidity to the penile shaft. They come in different sizes and fit over the penis.
- There are a variety of penis sleeves available, including products that reduce sensitivity, which may help people last longer before orgasm.
- Penile casts are available in a range of sizes and materials, allowing people to change their penis length and girth easily depending on their needs.
- Some penis sleeves are ridged, which may increase a partner’s pleasure during sex.
- Penile casts cannot extend the natural length of a person’s penis.
- Some sleeves may reduce sensitivity too much, which may make having sex difficult.
- Some cast shapes may be uncomfortable to use during sex.
The Urology Care Foundation states that surgery is suitable for people with a penis less than 7.5 centimeters (3 in) when stretched.
There are three types of surgical procedures for penis enlargement:
- Liposuction: With liposuction, surgeons
remove fatfrom the mons pubis, or area of fatty tissue that covers the pubic bone, to make the penis appear more prominent.
- Suspensory ligament division: The doctor cuts the suspensory ligament that attaches the penis to the public bone. This causes the angle of the penis to drop, making it look longer when a person has an erection.
- Fat transfer: Surgeons
remove fatfrom other parts of the body and inject it into the penis, increasing girth. However, this procedure can lead to scarring, lumps, and infection.
- There is a lot of evidence that surgery can increase penis size.
- Choosing qualified and reputable surgeons reduces the risk of adverse effects and complications.
- Insurance providers may not cover the surgery cost.
- Surgery is the most invasive technique, and it’s important that people are aware that it will take time to recover from the surgery.
- All surgery carries risks that may irreversibly change the appearance of a penis.
- Some people may not qualify for surgery. A person can talk with their care team to see if they are a good candidate to have surgery.
There are no pills that can enlarge the penis, but some prescription medications may benefit people with ED. These can increase blood flow to the penis, making it easier for people to have and maintain an erection.
Doctors may prescribe:
- Sildenafil (Viagra): This prescription drug is available in doses of 20–100 milligrams (mg).
- Tadalafil (Cialis): This prescription drug is available in doses of 5–20 mg.
- Avanafil (Stendra, Spedra): This prescription drug is available in 10–20 mg doses.
People may take these medications
These medications are also available to purchase from online pharmacies or telehealth companies such as Hims, Lemonaid, and Roman. People must usually undergo a consultation and receive a prescription before ordering from these companies.
- These medications can help people have and maintain an erection.
- All these drugs have FDA approval and are available from most pharmacies, in-store or online.
- Maintaining an erection during sexual activity may help increase a person’s confidence.
- While medications can help people maintain an erection, they cannot increase penis size.
- People may experience side effects, such as headaches.
- People must take the medication at least 1 hour before sex, which may not suit those who prefer a more spontaneous sex life.
The following table provides an at-a-glance comparison of the alternatives in this article.
|Lifestyle changes||• no need to contact a healthcare professional in most cases|
• minimal cost
• can help people live longer, health-promoting lives
• may increase confidence in all aspects of life
|• only changes the appearance of penile length|
• people may find it difficult to source healthy ingredients
• people may not have the time to prepare food
• people with obesity may take longer to see results
|Lotions||• may be more affordable|
• convenient and easy to use
|• no evidence of their effectiveness|
• may cause side effects
• not FDA regulated
|Traction devices||• may moderately increase penile length|
• may be beneficial for people with Peyronie’s disease
• some devices have FDA approval
• may fit into daily routines
|• can cause broken blood vessels and bruising|
• may take several weeks to have an effect
• only offers small or moderate improvement
|Jelqing massage||• free option|
• may help maintain erections
• may help increase length and girth
|• no scientific evidence this method works|
• can cause bruising, pain, and fibrosis
|Penile cast||• variety of options available|
• range of sizes and girths
• may increase a partner’s pleasure
|• cannot extend natural penile length|
• may reduce sensitivity
• may be uncomfortable during sex
|Surgery||• can increase penis size|
• reputable surgeons may decrease the risk of complications
|• insurance may not cover the cost|
• most invasive technique
• may change the appearance of a penis
• some people may not qualify for surgery
|Medication||• can help people maintain an erection|
• FDA approved
• may help increase a person’s confidence
|• cannot increase penis size|
• may cause side effects
• may not be suitable for spontaneous sex
There is no clinical evidence to support additional techniques to increase penis size. In fact:
- using weights as penile extenders may even be harmful
- removing fat from the low abdomen with liposuction can help make a partially buried penis more visible, but the impact will dissipate if the person gains weight again
The Urology Care Foundation states that suspensory ligament division and fat transfer, the two main surgical procedures for increasing penis size, are neither safe nor effective.
People should seek medical advice if they have concerns with their penis size. Doctors may ask about their medical history in order to provide a diagnosis and suggest a treatment plan.
A person should disclose whether they are taking dietary supplements that claim to enlarge the penis or enhance performance or sexual activity. Some supplements contain undeclared ingredients that can lead to severe adverse reactions when taken with other prescription medications.
Below are some common questions about penis enlargement pills.
Are penis enlargement pills safe?
Not always. Since many penis enlargement pills companies market them as food supplements, they do not receive the same level of regulation as medications.
According to the
What is the average penis size?
It is difficult to measure the size of a flaccid penis because many conditions affect it, such as room temperature. According to researchers, the average size of an erect penis is between
Is it safe to buy penis enlargement pills online?
Not necessarily. It is difficult to determine the ingredients in these products when shopping online.
In addition, some penis enlargement pills may contain potentially dangerous unlisted ingredients, such as sildenafil. Sildenafil is the active ingredient in ED medications, and
When does your penis stop growing?
A person’s penis stops growing when they finish puberty.
The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development states that males typically begin puberty between
Is penis enlargement possible?
Yes, penile enlargement is possible with surgical intervention.
However, these procedures have not undergone rigorous testing, and more research is necessary.
Other techniques to increase penis size do not have robust scientific evidence.
Many companies market penis enlargement pills or other sexual supplements as dietary supplements. They claim they are safe and effective in increasing penis size.
However, there is currently no clinical evidence that penis enlargement pills work. Instead, research shows that these supplements can be dangerous, as they may contain ingredients often found in prescription medications.
People concerned about their penis size should consider the evidence, which shows that most individuals with these worries actually have an average size penis.
If a person’s penis is truly smaller than average, or an individual is distressed about their perception of it, they should consider consulting a healthcare professional.