Penis envy mushrooms are a variety of magic mushrooms that contain the psychedelic compound psilocybin. Although some people report mental health benefits, like any other drug, they do carry risks.
When someone consumes penis envy mushrooms, they may experience perceptual changes, alteration in thinking processes, and spiritual experiences known as a “trip.”
Historically, people have used psychedelics in religious and ceremonial rituals. More recently, experts have studied their therapeutic effects.
Despite their potential benefits, people should consider that psychedelic mushrooms are powerful substances that can cause intense experiences, both positive and negative.
Read on to learn more about penis envy mushrooms and their effects.
As the name suggests, penis envy mushrooms resemble a human penis. They have a swollen, rounded cap and thick stem. These mushrooms are a particularly potent variety of Psilocybe cubensis, a species of magic mushrooms.
There are several penis envy varieties, including:
- Albino penis envy: a slightly smaller mushroom with a deep blue–tinged cap
- Penis envy uncut: an albino cross with caps that adhere to the stem
- Penis envy number 6: a hybrid that produces more spores
- Trans penis envy: a hybrid with finer stems and a milder effect than other varieties
These mushrooms contain
As these mushrooms take longer to mature and do not produce many spores, they are difficult to find and cultivate. This means they may be more expensive and harder to source than other varieties of magic mushrooms.
While the effects of magic mushrooms vary depending on the person and dose, they typically produce feelings of euphoria, well-being, and increased creativity. Some people also report experiencing visual or auditory hallucinations.
In some cases, magic mushrooms can induce spiritual experiences and heightened states of consciousness.
For certain people, these effects are deeply meaningful and provide a sense of peace and understanding. For others, they are overwhelming or scary.
When someone consumes psychedelic mushrooms, the psilocybin binds to 5-HT2A serotonin receptors on the surface of nerve cells. Serotonin is the “feel good” chemical that helps regulate mood, thinking ability, perception, and sleep.
Therefore, when psilocybin binds to serotonin receptors, it affects how information flows between different brain regions. This results in changes in consciousness and perception.
These changes can be positive or negative depending on the person’s mindset, expectations, and environment.
While all these mushrooms share similar psychedelic effects, each variety produces distinctive experiences depending on its potency, chemistry, and concentration of active metabolites.
Experts classify the effects of psilocybin into four categories:
- Perceptual: Visual and auditory hallucinations and changes in the perception of time, space, and body are common effects of psilocybin mushrooms.
- Cognitive: Alterations in thinking and information processing may make people feel creative and insightful or confused and disorientated.
- Emotional: Positive emotions may include feelings of euphoria, well-being, love, and connectedness. Conversely, negative emotions such as fear, anxiety, or paranoia may affect a person’s trip.
- Ego dissolution: This refers to a sense of self-transcendence or self-forgetfulness. It can cause a feeling of oneness with the universe or a loss of the sense of individuality.
A person’s mindset, metabolism, body composition, and tolerance level affect their experience. It can be incredibly varied from person to person.
People also have distinct reactions to different types of mushrooms. Some people find that the effects of Psilocybe cubensis are more visual and euphoric, while others find them more introspective and spiritual.
If someone chooses to use magic mushrooms, it is important to do so safely. There are a few things to keep in mind:
- Start with a low dose: It is always best to start with a low dose and increase gradually as desired. This allows time to gauge tolerance level, reducing the risk of negative experiences.
- Be in a safe environment: Because magic mushrooms can cause changes in perception, it is important to be in a safe and comfortable environment. If a person is in an unfamiliar setting, they could get lost, hurt, or have a bad trip.
- Avoid mixing with other substances: Mixing magic mushrooms with other drugs, alcohol, or medications can be harmful. Psilocybin can interact with other substances in unpredictable ways and magnify their effects.
- Know the source: When buying magic mushrooms, it is crucial to source them from a reliable supplier. Some mushroom species can look similar but have different or even dangerous effects.
- Have a positive mindset: Magic mushrooms can amplify emotions. Therefore, if someone is feeling anxious or depressed, it could trigger a bad trip.
- Have a “trip sitter”: This person remains sober and can provide calm and reassuring support if someone needs help while taking mushrooms.
Taking psilocybin can trigger persistent disturbing changes in perceptions, feelings, and moods. It can also cause temporary hallucinations, visual flashbacks, and short-term changes in thinking and emotion.
As a result, people can develop anxiety and paranoia.
Sometimes, a person can have flashbacks long after the substance’s effects have worn off. Stress, fatigue, or other environmental factors can trigger these flashbacks. Physicians now diagnose this rare condition as hallucinogen-persisting perception disorder.
When taking mushrooms, there is also a risk of mistakenly consuming poisonous varieties. A person should visit an emergency room immediately if they have symptoms of mushroom poisoning, such as:
- muscle spasms
Like other psilocybin-containing mushrooms, penis envy mushrooms are not legal in the United States. They are classified as Schedule I substances under the Controlled Substances Act, along with lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) and cannabis.
The law considers that substances in this category have no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for misuse.
However, some experts argue that the law has not yet caught up with the science. Both animal and human studies indicate that psilocybin mushrooms have low misuse and no physical dependence prospect. Furthermore, research into psychedelics has shown therapeutic potential for these substances.
It is possible that in the future, the legal status of penis envy mushrooms may change as more research is conducted on their safety and effectiveness.
Several U.S. cities have decriminalized psilocybin. In 2019, Denver, Colorado, became the first city to take this historic step. Others have followed suit, including Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Cambridge, Massachusetts.
In 2022, Colorado voted to decriminalize magic mushrooms statewide for people over 21. This will take effect in 2024.
Furthermore, in 2020, Oregon legalized supervised psilocybin-assisted therapy programs in controlled settings. These moves may pave the way for further research into the therapeutic potential of psilocybin and similar psychedelics.
Penis envy mushrooms are a variety of psychedelic mushrooms. They contain the active ingredient psilocybin, which triggers hallucinogenic “trips.” This can cause short-term side effects, such as anxiety and paranoia.
Currently, penis envy mushrooms are not legal in the United States. However, some cities have decriminalized their use. Oregon and Colorado have legalized supervised therapeutic use.