We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Being physically active boosts mental and physical well-being and reduces the risk of chronic diseases. At-home exercise equipment, such as the ProForm Hybrid Trainer XT, may help people exercise more regularly.
In this article, we look at the ProForm brand and its Hybrid Trainer XT, including the pros and cons of this piece of equipment. We also discuss the health benefits and risks of working out at home.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
ProForm started manufacturing fitness equipment in the 1980s. By 2021, the company was part of iFit Health and Fitness, which also owns NordicTrack, Gold’s Gym, FreeMotion Fitness, and Weider.
Online reviewers appreciate the fact that the ProForm Hybrid Trainer XT offers two different kinds of workouts. It is a relatively budget-friendly piece of equipment that some reviewers describe as very useful for at-home workouts.
ProForm reviews on Trustpilot are primarily positive, with 61% of reviewers giving the company an “excellent” rating and 14% rating it as “great.” However, 3%, less than 1%, and 21% score the company as “average,” “poor,” and “bad,” respectively.
Positive reviews tend to focus on the company’s products, while negative reviews mention problems with delivery and broken equipment.
The ProForm Hybrid Trainer XT is a two-in-one fitness machine. By adjusting the pedals and the console, users can transform their elliptical trainer into a recumbent bike. The addition of soft-grip workout arms allows the machine to deliver a low impact, total body workout.
As a recumbent bike, the ProForm Hybrid Trainer XT has oversized, adjustable pedals. The cushioned seat provides extra lumbar support and is adjustable both vertically and horizontally. This high level of adjustability means that the bike can accommodate users of different sizes.
The ProForm Hybrid Trainer XT features 16 different workout programs. Both modes — elliptical and recumbent bike — also have 16 levels of digital resistance. The console has a large LCD screen that tracks mileage, speed, calories burned, heart rate, and workout duration. The machine also has dual speakers and an auxiliary audio port.
Additionally, the trainer comes with a free 3-year iFit Family membership. The iFit app offers 16,000 streaming workouts, cross-training options, and workouts in scenic locations around the world. Trainers can control the resistance, speed, and incline of the user’s machine for certain workouts.
Other features of the ProForm Hybrid Trainer XT include:
- built-in heart rate monitors in the handlebars
- a large, integrated tablet holder
- transport wheels to simplify storage
- a water bottle holder
- a maximum user weight of 350 pounds (lb)
- a 90-day warranty for parts and labor and a 5-year warranty for the frame
As with all exercise equipment, there are benefits and downsides to the ProForm Hybrid Trainer XT.
- offers users two different types of movement possibilities
- well-known company
- good price relative to the quality
- 16 different programs and levels of resistance
- comfortable seat
- reviewers complain of issues with customer service
- heart rate sensors on handlebars may not be accurate
- elliptical stride length is relatively short
- somewhat limited warranty
Individuals looking for something similar to a ProForm Hybrid Trainer XT may also wish to consider the following options:
- Plasma Fit Elliptical Machine Cross Trainer 2 in 1 Exercise Bike: The Plasma machine function as both an elliptical trainer and a stationary bike. The compact and affordable exercise machine works the arms, legs, hips, and abdominals. Despite weighing just 62 lb, it has a maximum user weight of 220 lb. A battery-operated LCD screen tracks speed, distance, time, calories burned, and heart rate.
- Goplus 2 in 1 Elliptical Fan Bike Dual Cross Trainer: This multifunctional stationary bike also doubles up as an elliptical trainer. The LCD screen tracks time, distance, speed, calories burned, and heart rate. The heavy duty steel machine also has an adjustable seat and can accommodate users weighing up to 220 lb.
- Body Rider Elliptical Trainer and Exercise Bike: This piece of exercise equipment is an affordable two-in-one indoor trainer. Users reportedly find it easy to transition from the elliptical to the bike mode. The adjustable tension knob allows people to choose a suitable resistance level, and they can also adjust the seat both horizontally and vertically.
It is not necessary to join a gym to get these benefits.
- aerobic fitness
- blood pressure
- fat mass
- abdominal fat
- resting heart rate
However, it is important to note that exercise comes with some risks. Even low impact workouts can cause wear and tear on the muscles and joints. People should consult a doctor before they begin an exercise program. Starting slowly and gradually increasing exercise intensity and duration may help prevent injury.
Working out at home is a convenient way for people to increase their physical activity levels and improve or maintain their health. At-home exercise equipment, such as the ProForm Hybrid Trainer XT, provides people with two low impact cardiovascular exercise options. In addition, the machine is relatively affordable and has quite good reviews overall.