We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Purple are a company that primarily offer mattresses. However, they also have a range of pillows, including the original Purple pillow, which uses the company’s proprietary Purple Grid technology.
The most suitable pillow for a person will depend on various factors, including their health status, budget, and comfort preferences.
This article discusses the Purple brand, the pillows they offer, and alternative brands to consider. It also looks at how pillows affect sleep health.
Purple began as a mattress company before expanding into pillows.
Purple emphasize that their products are safe and nontoxic, with CertiPUR-US and Clean Air Gold certifications. All of their products come with a 100-night in-home trial.
In online reviews, customers generally speak favorably about the brand, saying that the mattresses and pillows are comfortable and good value for money.
Purple did draw some criticism for suing a review site for a negative review. Upon further investigation, however, it became clear that the reviewer in question worked for a competitor and did not make this clear on the mattress review site.
People looking to buy a new pillow may wish to consider several factors, including:
- Suitability for preferred sleep position: Stomach and back sleepers may need lower pillows, while side sleepers may need more support and height to keep the head and neck in a comfortable position.
- Mattress style: In general, people with firmer mattresses will need softer pillows, while those with softer mattresses will want firmer pillows.
- Budget: Pillows are available in different price ranges.
- Safety: It is advisable to choose a pillow that comes with clear details about its contents and manufacturing process. Some products, especially those made in poorly regulated factories, may contain volatile organic compounds, which may increase the risk of diseases such as cancer.
- Sleep temperature: It can be difficult to sleep when hot or sweaty. People who tend to get hot during sleep may wish to consider pillows with cooling materials, such as a breathable grid or outer gel covering.
Purple offer several pillow options to suit people with different preferences regarding support and the level of firmness.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information is purely research-based.
The Purple Pillow
Purple’s original pillow has a similar construction to their original mattress.
The Purple pillow includes an ergonomic polymer grid, which the manufacturers have designed to offer support while reducing pressure points.
The company state that the durable grid will not lose its shape easily and that the outer cooling surface helps users avoid overheating.
The Purple Harmony Pillow
This model is a luxury version of the original Purple pillow. It offers more support and has a fuller, more plush sleep surface.
This pillow includes the original Purple Grid and a cooling surface that may benefit people who sleep hot.
The Harmony model also has a hypoallergenic latex core, making it suitable for people with allergies.
The Purple Plush Pillow
This model is suitable for people who prefer a traditional down-style pillow rather than the Purple polymer. It offers soft and customizable support.
People can use the adjustable extensions on either side of the pillow to get more support and height. In addition, they can purchase Purple pillow boosters to expand the pillow’s height further and add more support.
The Purple Plush Pillow is roughly half the price of the original Purple pillow, which could make it a good option for those looking to spend less money.
Kid Purple Pillow
This pillow offers a softer sleep surface designed to support kids’ developing spines.
The pillow is smaller and lighter than the other models, making it a suitable option for a twin or toddler bed.
In addition to selling pillows, Purple offer four different mattress models that use the Purple Grid technology:
The original Purple mattress is a foam mattress with a polymer grid, while the hybrid mattresses blend the Purple Grid with traditional coils.
Purple continue to expand their range of products offerings, and the company now also offer:
People who want to consider brands other than Purple have a range of options available to them, including:
- GhostBed: GhostBed are one of Purple’s biggest competitors. They offer a memory foam pillow, a down-alternative pillow, and a shredded foam pillow.
- Pluto Pillow: Rather than offering a specific line of pillows, Pluto customize each pillow based on a customer’s answer to a few questions.
- Tempur-Pedic: Tempur-Pedic sell a wide range of memory foam pillows designed for different sleeping positions.
Instead, people will need to experiment with different pillows to identify the type that feels most comfortable to them. A person’s pillow needs and preferences may change with age, health, or weight.
Choosing a pillow is not usually a medical issue, and most doctors do not study specific pillow types.
However, a doctor can help with sleep issues, such as insomnia and pain. A person should see a doctor if they:
For some people, a Purple pillow may offer the perfect balance of support and comfort. As with any other sleep product, choosing the right pillow requires trial and error. Everyone has unique needs and preferences, so they may need to try different products to find the best option.
Anyone who experiences persistent sleep issues should speak with a doctor, who can work with them to improve their quality of sleep.