We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
ReplaceALens is an online eyewear specialist that provides a range of services, including putting new lenses in existing frames.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
ReplaceALens describes itself as a full-service discount eyewear and eyeglasses laboratory. It has brick-and-mortar stores in Denver, CO, and a robust online presence.
The typical ReplaceALens review on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website is positive. The company has a total rating of 5 out of 5 stars based on 18 customer reviews. However, the brand does not have BBB accreditation.
Lenses are the focus of the ReplaceALens product line. The company sells:
- eyeglass lenses
- sunglass lenses
- computer blue-blocking lenses
ReplaceALens works with major lens manufacturers, such as Verilux, Seiko, Crizal, Shamir, and Hoya. It sells the following kinds of lenses:
The company can make replacement lenses for most frames, although restrictions and extra labor fees may apply for some.
People with custom shape requests, such as hearts, should call ReplaceALens first. The company cannot work with:
- broken frames or those repaired with super glue
- frames made from wood, vinyl records, or buffalo horn
- Oakley sunglasses
- metal frames without a screw to release the lenses
People will need a copy of their prescription to order corrective lenses from ReplaceALens and their pupillary distance and vertical pupil height.
Federal law requires that eye care professionals give people copies of their prescriptions after they have eye exams.
Ordering from ReplaceALens is very simple. People should:
- Note the frame type they are sending.
- Select the type of lenses they want.
- Choose their lens material.
- Pick a specialty lens option.
- Provide their current prescription, either through the mail, online, or by sending in a pair of glasses.
- Provide pupillary distance information, either by writing it on the ordering form, sending in the prescription, sending current glasses, or sending a picture of themselves wearing the glasses.
- Provide vertical pupil height by sending current lenses or a picture of themselves wearing the glasses or having someone dot the pupils on the lens of their glasses.
- Place the order and pay by credit card.
- Prepare their frames for mailing, print the order confirmation, and mail the package to ReplaceALens.
- Expect delivery through US Priority mail in 5–10 days.
Refunds and returns
ReplaceALens has a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. The company guarantees that it will install replacement lenses and send people back their frames in equal or better condition. If ReplaceALens damages any frames, which it says happens very rarely, the company will replace them with frames of at least equal value or give the individual store credit worth up to $250.
ReplaceALens guarantees that all company-made lenses meet industry standards as spelled out by The Vision Council. The company has a 1-year warranty on manufacturing defects. This does not cover lens scratches, but ReplaceALens offers free anti-scratch coating on all lenses.
Other online eyewear retailers who also sell replacement lenses include:
- Lensabl: The company describes itself as a one-stop-shop for all eye care needs. Lensabl offers new glasses in new frames and contacts. They also offer lens replacements for the existing frames. Replacement lenses can be prescription lenses, lenses for reading glasses, and non-prescription lenses for sunglasses and blue light blocking. They also sell annual vision benefit plans, which they say can help purchasers save money. Learn more about Lensabl here.
- EyeglassX: They sell significantly discounted Ray-Ban prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses. They also sell Undergram rimless prescription glasses. Additionally, EyeglassX offers replacement lenses for prescription glasses and sunglasses. The company website claims that customers can save up to 70% off the retail cost of new lenses. They also offer frames-only at significantly reduced prices through their clearance section.
According to the 2018 American Optometric Association’s Eye-Q® Survey, vision health is as important to 92% of people in America as the condition of their heart and lungs.
Appropriate vision care and eyewear protect people’s health in ways that go beyond simple vision correction.
According to the
Eye exams can prompt early detection of:
Eyewear can be expensive, and purchasing eyewear online is often less costly than doing so in person. Lens replacement services, such as ReplaceALens, can put new lenses into existing frames, which can also save a customer money.
A person will need a prescription to buy lenses online. Getting a regular, thorough eye evaluation protects health in general and eye health in particular.