We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Saatva and Winkbeds are two leading mattress companies in the United States, both providing luxury mattresses.
This article discusses the mattresses that Saatva and Winkbeds offer, and how different mattress features may affect sleep health.
Saatva and Winkbeds generally have positive feedback on review sites, with reviewers occasionally rating them as two of the best innerspring mattress brands.
Saatva started in 2010, aiming to provide premium mattresses at a fair price, with excellent customer service.
Review sites rate Saatva mattresses highly for support, breathability, and customer service. According to the Saatva website, awards and positive reviews include:
- 2018 Sustainability Product of the Year from the Business Intelligence Group
- 4.8 user rating on Google Customer Reviews
- 2020 Best Bedding Award Winner
Negative reviews report sagging, lack of motion isolation, and soft options being too firm.
Winkbeds is a family-owned business that handcraft their mattresses in their Wisconsin factory.
Review sites praise the brand’s mattresses for durability, high-quality materials, cooling effects, and back support.
According to the Winkbeds website, positive reviews and awards include:
- #1 Innerspring Mattress 2020 — New York Times Wirecutter
- 2020 Best Mattress for Back Pain — SleepFoundation.org
- 4.9/5 stars — Girl on the Mattress
Negative reviews for the brand focus on high prices, off-putting gas smells, and the lack of motion isolation.
The range of Saatva mattresses include:
Saatva Classic Mattress
The Saatva Classic is a hybrid innerspring that comes in three firmness options. People can also choose between a mattress height of 11.5 or 14.5-inches.
The plush pillow top offers contouring support and pressure relief for hips, shoulders, and the back. Wire support in the mattress center provides lower back support and spinal alignment.
The mattress also includes foam edge support and individually wrapped coils for airflow and minimal motion transfer. Steel coils in the base prevent sagging.
Saatva Latex Hybrid Mattress
This organic and natural latex hybrid mattress comes with an organic cotton cover. Talalay latex responds to the body and provides pressure relief.
Saatva claim that this mattress suits every sleeping style. It comes with a 15-year warranty.
Saatva HD Mattress
This hybrid innerspring mattress is medium-firm and includes an organic cotton cover.
The HD mattress contains Talalay latex with targeted support for pressure points. The steel coils help prevent sagging.
The mattress comes with a 20-year warranty and is available in seven sizes.
Other mattresses from the Saatva brand also include:
- Saatva Youth, for children 3 aged years and above
- Loom & Leaf, a premium memory foam mattress
- Zenhaven, featuring 100% natural Talalay latex
- Solaire, an adjustable mattress with 50 firmness options
Saatva offer free white glove delivery, free mattress removal, and a 180-night trial for all their mattresses.
Winkbeds offer three mattresses:
Winkbed Original Mattress
The Winkbed is a hybrid mattress available in four firmness levels and six sizes.
The gel-infused foam comfort layer helps relieve muscle tension, while the individually wrapped coils offer targeted support and pressure relief, particularly for the lower back.
The Winkbed has CertiPUR and OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certification, meaning it contains little or no harmful chemicals.
Winkbeds GravityLux Mattress
The GravityLux is a memory foam mattress with contouring support.
The memory foam supports spinal alignment and pressure point relief, while the seven support layers target the shoulders, hips, and back.
The Tencel cover, gel foam, and AirCell foam all draw heat away from the body, which may benefit people who overheat while sleeping.
This mattress may suit all sleeping styles. It is available in six sizes and three firmness levels.
Winkbeds EcoCloud Mattress
The EcoCloud is a latex hybrid with organic and all-natural materials. The cover consists of 100% organic cotton and sustainable New Zealand wool.
The Talalay latex foam layer provides back support and pressure relief.
The manufacturer uses recycled steel to make the individually wrapped coils.
This medium-firm mattress may be best for side sleepers and people who become too warm during sleep.
Winkbeds offer paid white glove delivery, a 120-night trial, and a lifetime warranty on all their mattresses.
People may wish to consider the following factors when choosing a mattress:
- Firmness: The mattress industry usually recommends a firmer surface for back and stomach sleepers, while side sleepers will benefit from a softer surface.
- Thickness: A thinner mattress may suit people who prefer a lower sleeping position, while a thicker mattress can provide extra cushioning or contouring.
- Sustainable: People can look for natural fibers, such as natural latex and organic cotton. Some mattress companies will also collect and recycle old mattresses.
- Non-toxic materials: People can search for the CertiPur-US certification, which bans harmful fire retardants and heavy metals while limiting volatile organic compounds.
- Motion isolation: When sharing a mattress with one or more people, a person may find benefits with motion isolation.
- Pressure point relief: Side sleepers may wish to consider pressure point relief for hips, shoulders, and knees.
- Edge support: Substantial edge support may prevent sagging edges and provide more stability for getting in and out of bed.
- Cooling: If people get too warm when they sleep, cooling technology and fibers may reduce overheating.
- Value: Consider high-quality materials, durability, and anti-sag features for a long-term investment.
- Maintenance and hygiene: Consider a mattress with a removable cover for cleaning. If people have allergies, a mattress with hypoallergenic materials may help with symptoms.
Choosing a mattress that supports an individual’s preferred sleeping position may relieve lower back pain and stiffness after sleep.
One 2010 study looked at the link between sleep quality and mattresses based on sleeping position. Researchers analyzed the sleep quality and comfort levels of 27 participants when sleeping on their own beds for 21 days.
The scientists then replaced the mattresses with medium-firm mattresses containing layers of foam and latex to suit each participant’s unique sleeping position.
After 12 weeks, participants had a significant improvement in back pain, stiffness, and sleep quality after sleeping on the new mattresses.
A 2015 systematic review suggests a medium-firm, self-adjusted mattress may be the optimal solution for promoting sleep comfort and supporting spinal alignment.
Saatva and Winkbeds have similar qualities and are both rated highly by reviewers.
Saatva offers a wider range of mattresses, including options for children and different budgets.
The Winkbeds line offers a greater choice in firmness levels and may be more suitable for side sleepers.
When choosing a Saatva or Winkbeds mattress, people should research online reviews from different sources. This will help provide a clearer and unbiased general perspective on the pros and cons of each mattress.