We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Schwinn sells several varieties of indoor bikes, including the IC4. The IC4 is an upright bike designed for spin classes. The unit comes equipped with a device holder and a display showing exercise data such as heart rate and calories burned.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented here is purely research-based.
According to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), Nautilus holds an A- rating. It is also responsive to customer complaints filed on the BBB website. Of 31 reviews and ratings, it holds a little over a 1-star rating (out of 5) with customers.
On Trustpilot, customers generally leave poor reviews of Schwinn bikes. Although the entry is for the IC4, most of the 10 reviews appear to discuss Schwinn bikes in general, not the specific model. Schwinn holds a little over 2 out of 5 stars on the website.
Negative reviews often cite shipping delays and poor customer service experiences. A few reviews mention that the pedals break off easily.
Positive reviews on Amazon show a different response from customers. Of over 1,500 reviews, 80% of them are 5-star reviews. Many of the positive reviews mention the sturdy build and the value for money.
The Schwinn IC4 is an upright stationary bike that is compatible with the Peloton and Zwift apps. This means that a person can place their own device in the holder and stream workouts. It also allows people to access the Explore the World app.
The pedals are available with standard toe cages or SPD cleats. The bike uses magnetic resistance and has 100 microlevels.
Some of the bike’s features include:
- a holder for a phone or tablet
- a built-in screen display showing distance traveled, time, calories burned, heart rate, and revolutions per minute (RPM)
- heart rate monitoring
- two water bottle holders
- Bluetooth connectivity
- a pair of 3-pound dumbbells and holders on the bike
- a USB adapter
Payment and shipping
Before confirming their purchase, customers can apply for financing for the Schwinn IC4 bike. The rate and terms will vary based on the person’s credit score. If accepted, a person could pay off the purchase over time in small, regular installments.
Schwinn offers free shipping in the continental United States.
For an additional fee, a person can have a technician come in to set up the bike. The service will take place 1 or more days following the delivery and needs to be scheduled once the bike arrives.
Alternatively, a person can use the included instructions to assemble the bike themselves. Major components of the bike come assembled, but a person needs to attach pieces such as the handlebars, seat, pedals, and other components.
The IC4 comes with a standard warranty plan that breaks down as follows:
- Frame: 10 years
- Mechanical: 3 years
- Electrical: 3 years
- Labor: 1 year
For an additional cost, a person can purchase a protection plan to extend parts and labor warranties to 5 years.
Customers have 6 weeks from the time of delivery to return their bike for any reason. Before returning the bike, a person needs to call their customer care center to request a return merchandise authorization number. The customer adds this number to the box and any other specified area for Schwinn to correctly process the return.
A person gets the full price of the item back, minus the cost of shipping and handling. The company does not refund any additional fees, such as those for assembly.
A person should be sure to read the full return policy before returning the bike.
The Schwinn IC4 indoor cycling bike may be a great option for some people and not for others. Some potential advantages of the bike include:
- It is more affordable than similar bikes from other brands, such as Peloton.
- People can use either toe clips or regular sneakers to ride.
- People have the ability to use a personal device while riding the bike.
- It has a generally sturdy frame.
Some potential disadvantages of the IC4 bike include:
- It does not include a built-in screen, which means that people interested in a streaming service will need to provide their own device to access it.
- The pedals may break easily, according to customer reviews on Amazon.
- The calibration of speed, RPM information, and other metrics built into the bike may not be accurate.
- The first 50 resistance levels may not feel very different.
Some similar exercise bikes from alternative brands include:
- MYX Fitness: This company sells an exercise bike in a bundle with at-home workout equipment, including kettlebells, stretch bands, and foam rollers. Learn more about MYX Fitness here.
- Peloton: This company sells a direct competitor to the IC4, but it is roughly double the price. It includes access to Peloton fitness classes but does not connect to other apps. Learn more about Peloton here.
- NordicTrack: This company offers bikes and other exercise equipment with the ability to stream classes through iFit. Learn more about NordicTrack here.
Using a stationary bike can help a person reach their fitness goals at home. According to the
In a 2011 systematic review of studies, researchers found strong evidence to suggest that cycling helps people achieve better overall fitness levels. They also noted that moderate evidence suggests that cycling has a positive impact on cardiovascular risk factors, such as heart disease. Finally, they noted that cycling may or may not help reduce the risk of mortality from coronary issues, obesity, or cancer.
Stretching before and after using an exercise bike, as well as avoiding excessive exercise, may help prevent strain and injuries. Avoiding prolonged flexed positions by varying one’s cycling routine may also help prevent strain and injuries.
A Schwinn IC4 bike can connect to various apps that provide streaming workouts. These workouts may help some people stay motivated and help them reach their fitness goals.
Before starting any new workout, a person should talk with a doctor about any health concerns.
The Schwinn IC4 is an indoor exercise bike designed for home use in virtual spin classes. It does not have a screen for workouts, but it is compatible with various apps that a person can download to their device and then attach to the bike.
The bike is generally well-liked, but some customers mention customer service issues and the pedals breaking off. People who like the bike mention that it is good value for the price and that it seems to be sturdy.