We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Siemens merged with several other hearing aid manufacturers to become a part of WS Audiology. This company owns several hearing aid manufacturing brands but no longer manufactures or sells Siemens hearing aids.
Individuals with hearing loss may find hearing aids beneficial. Hearing aid manufacturers offer a range of hearing aids for purchase.
This article discusses Siemens, its reputation, which products they offer, how to order, and how hearing aids can improve health.
In 2015, Siemens’ hearing aid business unit became Sivantos, an independent company. Sivantos rebranded their hearing aid line, becoming Signia.
Sivantos’ Signia line has replaced the Siemens hearing aid line. The company only offers Signia hearing aids.
In 2019, Sivantos merged with Widex to form WS Audiology, a large manufacturer of hearing aids. WS Audiology manufactures several brands of hearing aids for purchase online.
WS Audiology manufactures and owns several hearing aid brands, such as Signia, Widex, and Rexton.
The company’s brands have received several awards for design and innovation, including the iF Design Award and CES Innovation Award in 2021.
WS Audiology has made commitments to lessen its environmental impact. Their Widex headquarters is currently CO2-neutral, and WS Audiology aims to further lower emissions by using electric vehicles.
The company has also made commitments to improve learning and education worldwide. WS Audiology’s brands have donated books, hearing aids, and lunches to those who do not have access to them.
Additionally, the company aims to highlight the importance of hearing aids, giving students and other individuals the opportunity to learn more about audiology and its role in day-to-day life.
WS Audiology’s two most prominent brands are Signia (formerly Siemens) and Widex. Individuals cannot buy hearing aids directly from these two brands and will have to order through an audiologist or third-party retailer.
Signia offers several hearing aids and an app that provides assistance and support for those who use their products.
The Signia App uses artificial intelligence to offer immediate support when people wish to change their settings.
Individuals cannot purchase Signia’s hearing aids through the company’s website and will instead have to order through third-party retailers or audiologists.
Signia’s product line includes:
- Signia Active Pro: These hearing aids stream music and phone calls via Bluetooth and deliver high-definition audio. Other features include enhanced speech understanding technology and rechargeable batteries that last up to 26 hours. This product will instantly fit most ears, as the company bases the design on in-ear earphones. The company does not state whether this product requires ear molds.
- Styletto X: These receiver-in-canal hearing aids feature Bluetooth connectivity, clear sound and speech understanding technology, and rechargeable batteries. The company includes a charging case with this product. The company does not state whether this product requires ear molds.
- Silk X: These completely-in-canal hearing aids feature clear speech understanding technology and instant fit. This product comes with four different silicone sleeves that should fit most ear sizes.
- Pure: This line of behind-the-ear hearing aids features clear speech understanding technology and Bluetooth connectivity. Some hearing aids in this line also feature rechargeable batteries. The company does not state this product requires ear molds.
- Motion X: These behind-the-ear hearing aids features clear speech understanding technology, Bluetooth connectivity, and automatic setting adjustments. Some hearing aids in this line also features rechargeable batteries that last up to 61 hours. The company does not state whether this product requires ear molds.
Widex offers in-the-ear and behind-the-ear hearing aids.
This brand is committed to sustainable business practices. They manufacture all of their hearing aids in their solar and wind energy-powered headquarters in Denmark.
Widex has a free iOS app that purchasers can use to control settings for their Bluetooth hearing aids.
Individuals cannot purchase Widex hearing aids through the company’s website and will instead have to order through third-party retailers or audiologists.
Their product lines include:
- In-the-ear hearing aids: the company’s in-the-ear and completely-in-canal hearing aids are the most discreet products they offer. All of Widex’s hearing aids in this product line are fully automatic, which means individuals do not have to change the settings when they encounter new sounds.
- Behind-the-ear hearing aids: the company recommends behind-the-ear hearing aids for those with severe hearing loss or small ear canals. These products require individuals to change sound settings manually.
Some of Widex’s hearing aid lines feature Bluetooth connectivity and rechargeable batteries. The brand recommends that people book an appointment with an audiologist to find out which hearing aid best suits their needs.
Other brands and products
WS Audiology owns 12 other brands that manufacture hearing aids. Several brands sell their products in the United States, including:
- A&M: This brand offers receiver-in-canal, behind-the-ear, and in-the-ear hearing aids.
- Audioservice: This brand offers instant fit and receiver-in-canal hearing aids. Some products feature Bluetooth connectivity.
- Rexton: This brand offers several different styles of hearing aids, including receiver-in-canal, behind-the-ear, and completely-in-canal. Some products feature Bluetooth connectivity and rechargeable batteries.
Individuals looking to purchase hearing aids from these brands will have to order through third-party retailers or an audiologist.
WS Audiology and its brands do not allow individuals to purchase hearing aids directly from the manufacturer.
While it is possible to purchase hearing aids without seeing a hearing health professional or having a hearing test, these devices may not fit an individual’s needs.
Over-the-counter hearing aids are most suitable for those with mild or moderate hearing loss.
An audiologist can conduct a hearing test and recommend which type of hearing aid best suits an individual. Audiologists can also advise people on how to look after their hearing aids and can offer follow-up care.
A person’s hearing can change over time. It is important to have a hearing test if a person believes their hearing has changed.
Hearing aid prices can vary depending on the hearing aid a person buys and which extra features they offer. An audiologist can advise people on which hearing aids best suit their level of hearing loss and their lifestyle requirements.
Many health insurance plans do not cover hearing aids. People should check to see what their health insurance covers before making a purchase. Some audiologists or retailers may offer payment plans.
As WS Audiology and their brands do not offer options for people to purchase their hearing aids directly from the manufacturers, all return and refund policies will depend on the retailer or audiologist.
WS Audiology does not have any information on any warranties for their hearing aids.
People have many hearing aids manufacturers to choose from, including:
- MDHearingAid: This company manufactures behind-the-ear hearing aids. Some products feature rechargeable batteries, water resistance, and Bluetooth connectivity. MDHearingAid allows people to buy directly from their website.
- Lively: This direct-to-consumer manufacturer’s hearing aids sit behind the ear and synch with Bluetooth devices. This company includes 3 years of follow-up and online care in the purchase price. A rechargeable option is available.
- Miracle-Ear: This company’s in-the-ear hearing aids are connectable, rechargeable, and functional. Because they go directly into the ear, they are usually custom-made for each individual’s ear. Miracle-Ear does not allow people to buy their products directly from the manufacturer. Individuals will have to order through a third-party retailer or an audiologist.
Additionally, some people may find other hearing products more suitable. Implantable hearing aids, such as a middle-ear implant or a bone-anchored hearing aid, work by strengthening sound vibrations. These products may benefit those with severe hearing, middle-ear deafness, or deafness in one ear.
The National Institute on Deafness and other Communication Disorders indicate that hearing loss affected 15 out of every 100 adults in America in 2015. Fewer than 30 out of 100 adults aged 70 and over who could benefit from using hearing aids use these products. Approximately 16 out of 100 adults between 20–69 years who would benefit from wearing hearing aids use them.
Hearing aids can positively impact health. Research notes that hearing aids have a significant beneficial effect on listening ability and may help improve the quality of life for those who have mild to moderate hearing loss.
It is important to wear the correct type of hearing aids. Certain models are only suitable for mild to moderate hearing loss, such as completely-in-canal hearing aids. An audiologist can advise people on which type is most suitable for their requirements.
It is important to see an audiologist if a person experiences the following symptoms:
- trouble hearing over the telephone
- finds it difficult to follow conversations when two or more people are talking
- has to ask others to repeat what they are saying
- needs to turn up the TV volume loud to hear
- finds it hard to hear when there is background noise
- thinks that other people mumble
People who experience a sudden change in their hearing, have pain or drainage in the ears, or hear ringing, buzzing, or hissing should make an appointment with an audiologist as soon as possible.
Hearing aids can benefit those with hearing loss. Siemens was a hearing aid manufacturer that merged with several other companies to become WS Audiology.
WS Audiology owns 14 brands, including Signia and Widex. These brands manufacture a range of hearing aid product lines that people may find beneficial.
To purchase WS Audiology’s hearing aids, a person will have to order through a third-party retailer or an audiologist.