We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Splendid Spoon and Daily Harvest both deliver plant-based, nutrition-dense meals to customers’ homes. However, these two delivery services vary in several ways, including meal choices and costs.
People interested in using a meal delivery service should compare these and other options to determine which is likely to suit them best.
This article looks at Splendid Spoon and Daily Harvest in more detail and discusses the similarities and differences between the two services.
Splendid Spoon and Daily Harvest are online meal delivery services. They both offer plant-based meal options and flexible subscriptions.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these services. All information is purely research-based and correct at the time of publishing.
Splendid Spoon is a meal delivery service that offers vegan, gluten-free, and genetically modified organism-free meals. The company’s bottles are 100% free of bisphenol A, and all of the packaging is recyclable.
Individuals can order through the company’s website, where they can select one of five plan options. After deciding on a plan, people can choose from more than 50 meal options, including smoothies, vegetable and noodle bowls, and soups.
Customers can change the number of meals and their preferred delivery day at any time. They can also skip or cancel deliveries.
Splendid Spoon delivers to all lower 48 states in the United States.
Daily Harvest is also a meal delivery service that offers plant-based menu options. Its meals do not contain dairy, gluten, or fillers.
The company uses a flexible subscription model that allows individuals to choose nine, 12, or 24 items from more than 80 plant-based meal options.
People can customize their boxes’ contents and skip, pause, or cancel their subscriptions at any time.
Some meals require additional preparation, so a customer may need to heat meal components on a stovetop or blend smoothie ingredients.
People can order through Daily Harvest’s website or their iOS-compatible mobile app.
Daily Harvest delivers to 95% of the continental U.S. states.
Both Daily Harvest and Splendid Spoon allow users to choose from various plant-based meals. Both companies accommodate several dietary requirements.
Splendid Spoon caters to people with the following dietary requirements:
Splendid Spoon divides its meals into four categories: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and reset. People can choose from these plans:
- breakfast and lunch
- breakfast, lunch, and reset
- breakfast, lunch, dinner, and reset
Available menu options include:
- Breakfast: Individuals can choose from several smoothies on the breakfast menu, including mint chip, dragon fruit berry, and green matcha.
- Lunch: Splendid Spoon offers various soup and grain bowls, including red beet buddha bowls, kabocha congee, and brown rice taco bowls.
- Dinner: Customers can choose from several noodle bowls, including creamy butternut squash, tangy ginger, and green curry noodles.
- Reset: Splendid Spoon offers various light soups, including garden minestrone, cauliflower potato chowder, and pumpkin pear bisque.
Sample meal: creamy butternut squash noodles
The nutritional facts of this meal are as follows:
- Serving size: Half a container, or 170 grams (g)
- Calories: 190 calories
- Total fat: 9 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams (mg)
- Sodium: 440 mg
- Total carbohydrates: 27 g
- Dietary fiber: 2 g
- Total sugars: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Vitamin D: 0 micrograms (mcg)
- Calcium: 46 mg
- Iron: 1 mg
- Potassium: 220 mg
People can prepare this meal from frozen. First, they must remove the lid and seal, then tent the lid over the bowl. Then, they can microwave the meal for 2–4 minutes, stirring halfway through. Alternatively, they can pour the contents into a pan, add a tablespoon of water or broth, and heat over the stovetop until warm.
Splendid Spoon ships its meals with dry ice and insulated packaging.
When using Daily Harvest, individuals can filter their meal options to suit their dietary requirements. The service caters to the following diets:
Once a person has filtered their menu according to their dietary requirements, they have the choice of nine, 14, or 24 items from the following meal options:
- Smoothies: Individuals can choose from several flavors, including strawberry and peach, chocolate and blueberry, and mint and cacao.
- Mylk: The company offers a plant-based milk alternative, which contains almonds, nuts, and sea salt. Individuals can choose from almond or almond and vanilla mylk.
- Harvest bowls: Several harvest bowls are available, including gigante bean and savoy cabbage, beet and wild rice, and sweet potato and wild rice hash.
- Flatbreads: Daily Harvest offers various plant-based flatbreads, including kale and sweet potato, pear and arugula, and tomato and basil.
- Soups: Individuals can choose from several farm-fresh soups, including carrot and coconut curry, tomato and zucchini minestrone, and butternut squash and rosemary.
- Forager bowls: The company offers raspberry and mulberry seeded, leek and fonio grits, and cremini and miso oat forager bowls.
- Oat bowls: A person can choose from several oat bowls, including apple and cinnamon, cinnamon and banana, and mulberry and dragon fruit.
- Chia bowls: Daily Harvest offers chocolate and almond, vanilla bean and apple, and blackberry and majik chia bowls.
- Bites: Customers can include snack options in their deliveries. Options include hazelnut and chocolate, cacao nib and vanilla, and coconut and lemon bites.
- Scoops: The company sells gluten- and dairy-free ice cream cones, including chocolate fudge, strawberry and berry compote, and mint and cacao nib scoops.
Sample meal: gigante bean and savoy cabbage
The nutritional facts of this meal are as follows:
- Serving size: One container, or 295 g
- Calories: 220 calories
- Total fat: 7 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 710 mg
- Total carbohydrates: 31 g
- Dietary fiber: 10 g
- Total sugars: 7 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Vitamin D: 0 mcg
- Calcium: 122 mg
- Iron: 4 mg
- Potassium: 1,007 mg
A person can cook this meal on the stovetop or in the microwave. Firstly, they must remove the plastic film. Then, they can pour the contents into a pan, add two tablespoons of broth or water, and cook on medium-high heat for 3–5 minutes. To microwave this meal, a person must add two tablespoons of broth or water and heat on high for 3 minutes.
Daily Harvest delivers every Wednesday or Friday. However, depending on a person’s zip code, they may have only one delivery day option.
Splendid Spoon and Daily Harvest have mixed reviews regarding the taste of their items.
Positive reviews about the taste of Splendid Spoon items on Trustpilot highlight the taste of the soups. Customers say that the soup and smoothie options are flavorful and filling.
Negative reviews mention chunks in the soups and smoothies and describe the food as tasteless and bland. One customer notes that a meal they ordered had less of the main ingredient compared with other ingredients than they expected.
Positive reviews on Trustpilot state that the food is healthy and tasty, either alone or with additions from a person’s kitchen. Customers highlight the taste of the smoothies and bowls, saying that they are consistently flavorful.
However, negative reviews state that the food has a “freezer burn” taste. Other reviews mention that the food is bland and tasteless.
Splendid Spoon and Daily Harvest deliver a person’s items in packaging.
Splendid Spoon states that all of its packaging is recyclable.
The company’s bowls, bottles, boxes, and insulation are all suitable for curbside recycling, or a person can drop them off at a local recycling center.
Daily Harvest states that a person can recycle most of its packaging at the curbside, including:
- cardboard boxes
- item cups
The lids from the items may be recyclable in some locations.
At the time of publishing, Splendid Spoon and Daily Harvest both offer discounts for first-time subscribers.
Splendid Spoon prices start at $9 per meal. People can also subscribe to meal plans, which cost $65–185 per week.
When a person orders from this company, they receive points. They can then redeem these points as Spoon Credit, which they can put toward new orders.
Individuals can earn points by referring friends or ordering meals. People receive 5 points for every $100 they spend.
Daily Harvest’s prices start at $5.99 per meal. However, the company offers $10, and $20 deductions from the weekly meal plan total when a person opts for the 10-item or 14-item plan, respectively.
Daily Harvest does not have a loyalty points system, but the company does offer account credit if a person refers a friend. If the friend uses the subscriber’s referral code, both individuals receive a $25 credit.
The following table compares Splendid Spoon and Daily Harvest’s cost, features, advantages, and disadvantages.
|Splendid Spoon||Daily Harvest|
|Cost||starts at $9 per meal||starts at $5.99 per meal|
|Menu options||• breakfast|
• harvest bowls
• forager bowls
• oat bowls
• chia bowls
|Which dietary requirements is it suitable for?||• gluten-free|
• low sodium
• low carb
• high protein
• low calorie
• low sugar
|Advantages||• offers a variety of meals on a weekly rotating basis|
• people do not need to prep any meals
|• offers a variety of plant-based meals, drinks, and snacks|
• items take little time to prepare
|Disadvantages||• more expensive than some other meal delivery services|
• may be unsuitable for some dietary requirements
|• some packaging may not be recyclable|
• may be unsuitable for some dietary requirements and allergies
Meal delivery services may encourage people to eat more meals at home rather than eating in restaurants or ordering takeaway food.
These services typically provide nutritious, well-balanced meals and the benefits of home-cooked food.
It is important to consume the correct number of calories to prevent unintentional weight loss or gain. The ideal calorie intake depends on several factors, including a person’s age, sex, weight, and activity level.
Several meal and ingredient delivery services offer plant-based food for people to consume at home, including:
- Green Chef: This meal kit delivery service provides customers with organic recipes and ingredients to help them make their own meals at home.
- Hungryroot: This company creates customized grocery plans and recipes to suit a person’s dietary requirements.
- Purple Carrot: This plant-based delivery service delivers the ingredients people need to prepare their meals at home.
Daily Harvest and Splendid Spoon are two plant-based meal delivery services. They both offer a menu that includes several meal options and changes weekly.
Customers can choose from different meal plans and can change, skip, or cancel their subscription and deliveries at any time.