We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Suspension trainers are a common piece of equipment that people can find in most gyms. They are useful for muscle-developing exercises.
Due to the relatively small size and portability of suspension trainers, people may also be able to use them to work out at home.
This article explores what suspension trainers do and what their benefits and disadvantages are. It also lists some suspension trainer products that people may wish to consider trying.
- Best suspension trainer for beginners: TRX All-in-One Suspension Training System
- Best suspension trainer with a split anchor design: Lifeline Jungle Gym XT
- Best suspension trainer for lower budgets: GoFit Gravity Straps
- Best suspension trainer with lifetime guarantee: RitFit Bodyweight Resistance Training Kit
- Best suspension trainer with resistance bands: FITINDEX Resistance Trainer Kit
- Best suspension trainer with detachable handles: Bodytorc Suspension Trainer
A suspension trainer is a workout device consisting of straps and rings or handles. It helps a person build up muscle and carry out body weight training.
Suspension trainers can be a good option for exercising at home, as these products are typically readily available to purchase and easy to transport.
The straps are adjustable, so a person can customize them to suit their height and preferred types of exercise.
The suspension trainer usually attaches to a fixed point, often above the user’s head. A person then uses the trainer to perform a variety of exercises. Some examples are:
- incline press-ups
- tricep dips
- ab rollouts
A few potential benefits of suspension trainers are the following:
- They are easy to transport, and most brands provide a travel bag.
- An individual can do a range of exercises that focus on different muscle groups with one piece of equipment.
- They are easy to adjust.
- They do not require much storage space.
The authors of a
Suspension trainers also have some potential disadvantages. These include the following:
- They are not necessarily suitable for someone new to exercise.
- A person must already have some strength to benefit from the trainer.
- Incorrect use could put a person at risk of injury.
- Some of these products are quite costly.
However, no research suggests that suspension training has any negative effects on a person’s health.
A person looking for suspension trainers may wish to consider the following factors:
- Accessories: Some suspension trainers come with accessories, such as door anchors or extension straps.
- Weight capacity: People should choose a suspension trainer that can support their body weight.
- Carrying bag: Some companies provide a carrying bag for their suspension trainers. This may benefit individuals who want to work out while traveling.
Many companies make and sell suspension trainers. We have listed a few examples below.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best suspension trainer for beginners: TRX All-in-One Suspension Training System
- Price: around $169.95 on Amazon
- Pro: includes a 30-day free trial for the TRX Training Club
- Con: higher cost than some other products
TRX claims that this product is its bestseller and is ideal for individuals at all levels of fitness, including beginners.
People can use the TRX All-in-One Suspension Training System to work out both indoors and outdoors.
The product includes:
- a training strap
- a suspension anchor
- integrated handles and foot cradles
- a door anchor
- a 35-page workout guide
- a mesh travel pouch
The adjustable strap is made from nylon and is available in just one color combination: yellow and black.
Best suspension trainer with a split anchor design: Lifeline Jungle Gym XT
- Price: around $99.99 on Amazon
- Pro: nonslip handles
- Con: may not suit lower budgets
Lifeline states that Jungle Gym XT is easily portable. It comes in a split anchor design, allowing the user to change the width of the system quickly to perform an increased number of exercises.
This model has an adjustable buckle, so a person can also change the strap length quickly and easily.
Lifeline Jungle Gym XT also includes two door anchors and a workout poster.
The nonslip handles are plastic, so they are easy to clean.
Best suspension trainer for lower budgets: GoFit Gravity Straps
- Price: around $44.99 on Amazon
- Pro: easy to install
- Con: not suitable for outdoor use
These straps are easy to set up in a person’s doorway but only when the door is securely closed. This model is also only suitable for indoor use.
GoFit claims that the weight limit for GoFit Gravity Straps is 300 pounds (lb).
GoFit Gravity Straps come with:
- two door anchors
- two handles
- two ankle cradles
- a mesh travel bag
- a training manual
Best suspension trainer with lifetime guarantee: RitFit Bodyweight Resistance Training Kit
- Price: around $50.00 on Amazon
- Pro: nonslip handles
- Con: slippery straps after applying pressure, according to some reviews
This bodyweight resistance training kit is suitable for indoor and outdoor workouts. The company claims people can attach it to doors, trees, poles, and ceiling mounts. It also states that the straps support up to 400 lb.
The kit includes:
- door anchors
- an extension strap
- two gymnastic rings
- fitness straps
- a workout guide
- a travel bag
The resistance straps come with adjustable, integrated handles with a nonslip design. The company claims users can integrate them with foot loops.
RitFit also states that the kit has a 100% lifetime guarantee.
Best suspension trainer with resistance bands: FITINDEX Resistance Trainer Kit
- Price: around $49.98 on Amazon
- Pro: easy setup
- Con: door anchor not included
FITINDEX states this resistance trainer kit comes with straps that users can attach to horizontal bars, trees, beams, or any type of sturdy object. The manufacturer claims that they are easy to operate and are designed for a weight of up to 400 lb.
The kit contains:
- two zinc alloy hoist buckles
- two nonslip handles
- two adjustable nylon resistance straps
- four resistance loop bands
- a portable storage bag
- a fitness guide
Best suspension trainer with detachable handles: Bodytorc Suspension Trainer
- Price: around $64.97 on Amazon
- Pro: carrying bag included
- Con: may not suit people who want to exercise outdoors
This suspension trainer kit comes with:
- detachable handles
- an extension strap
- a door attachment
- a carrying bag
The company claims that the trainer supports body weight of up to 400 lb.
Bodytorc also states that a person can attach the equipment to doors and chin-up bars.
Suspension trainers are not the only way an individual can increase their muscle strength. Alternative exercises for muscle strengthening include:
- pushups and situps
- heavy gardening, such as digging or shoveling
- some yoga poses
- resistance bands
The WHO recommends that all adults participate in at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity each week.
Below, we answer some of the most common questions about suspension trainers.
What are suspension trainers for?
A person can use them for muscle building through exercises such as tricep dips, ab rollouts, or squats.
Are suspension trainers safe?
Suspension trainers are safe when an individual uses them correctly.
Before buying a product, a person should check the safety features it comes with and whether they have a fixed point to which they can attach the suspension trainer.
For example, it may help to opt for straps that have a locking loop so that the length stays put even after adjusting it.
People should follow the guide that comes with the product, as it will indicate how to use the equipment.
Are suspension trainers worth the price?
Suspension trainers can be costly, especially when adding shipping costs to the product price.
However, they may be more cost-effective than a gym membership. There is only a one-time fee for suspension trainers, whereas a gym membership involves long-term costs.
On the other hand, people may benefit from suspension training with a personal trainer at a gym.
Many different brands of suspension trainers are available in the United States. Most of these products are easy to transport, and many are suitable for use both indoors and outdoors.
A person may wish to consider the cost, materials, and unique features of various suspension trainer models before they make a purchase.
Those who are unsure about purchasing a suspension trainer can perform other activities to strengthen their muscles.