We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Tempur-Pedic is a manufacturer and distributor of mattresses and pillows based in the United States. Its range of neck pillows offers additional support to a person’s neck, head, and back while they sleep. This can help people with neck pain.
A good quality pillow can help support the head and keep the spine aligned to assist people in achieving restful sleep.
There has been much research into the importance of sleep, with a
This article explores the Tempur-Pedic neck pillow range and discusses who might benefit from these pillows.
- Best overall Tempur-Pedic neck pillow: Tempur-Neck Pillow
- Best cooling Tempur-Pedic neck pillow: Tempur-Ergo Cooling Neck Pillow
- Best Tempur-Pedic pillow for head and neck support: Tempur-Essential Support Pillow
- Best adaptable Tempur-Pedic neck pillow: Tempur-Down Precise Support Pillow
- Best Tempur-Pedic neck pillow for travel: NeckPillow – Travel
Medical News Today chooses mattresses, sheets, pillows, and other bedding that meet the following criteria:
- Certifications: MNT will choose products that have CertiPUR-US or other certifications. This means the products are low in pollutants and free from heavy metals and volatile organic compounds.
- Size: MNT chooses products that are available in various sizes.
- Materials and fill: MNT selects products made from different materials and fills, such as memory foam and latex, to suit a range of sleep and lifestyles.
- Budget: MNT features products that are available in a wide range of budgets.
- Firmness [only applicable to some products]: MNT selects mattresses that are available in a range of firmness options to suit most people’s sleeping styles.
- Sleep trials: MNT chooses companies that offer a sleep trial.
- Shipping: MNT will include shipping information, such as where the company delivers to and whether shipping is free.
- Warranties and return policies: MNT will include products that carry warranties and clear returns policies.
According to Tempur-Pedic, all pillows come with a 5-year warranty and feature a removable, machine-washable cover for added convenience. The company also offers free shipping across the U.S.
The foam in Tempur-Pedic products is 100% CertiPUR-US certified. This means it meets rigorous standards for emissions, content, durability, and performance.
Below is a range of neck pillows from Tempur-Pedic.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Best overall Tempur-Pedic neck pillow
The Tempur-Neck Pillow follows the natural curve of a person’s body. Tempur-Pedic states that they designed this product for back and side sleepers.
The pillow features:
- three different size options to suit a number of body types and sleep positions
- contours and an ergonomic design that supports a person’s head, neck, and shoulders during sleep
- TEMPUR Material, which allows the neck and shoulder muscles to relax while still offering adequate support
- a hypoallergenic cover
Best cooling Tempur-Pedic neck pillow
This is a medium-feel neck pillow that helps cradle a person’s neck while they sleep. Tempur-Pedic says this pillow is ideal for back and side sleepers.
This product features:
- a cooling gel, which helps keep a person cool overnight
- a high-stretch performance cover
- the ability to adapt to a person’s shape over time
Best Tempur-Pedic pillow for head and neck support
The Tempur-Essential Support Pillow does not target neck support specifically. Instead, it is a general support pillow that can help gently align a person’s head, neck, and shoulders as they sleep.
This pillow is:
- ideal for people who sleep on their back and stomach
- able to adapt to a person’s weight, shape, and temperature to ensure a comfortable sleep
- lightweight with an extra-soft feel
Best adaptable Tempur-Pedic neck pillow
The Tempur-Down Precise Support Pillow has a medium feel and offers high levels of support, according to Tempur-Pedic.
The company also states that this pillow is:
- suitable for people of all sleeping positions, including those who sleep on their side, back, or stomach
- versatile and adaptable to a person’s weight and shape
- available to purchase in king and queen sizes
Best Tempur-Pedic neck pillow for travel
The NeckPillow Travel model is ideally suited for use while traveling. People who require a more controlled sleep posture may find this product beneficial.
The pillow features:
- a smaller size than other models for easy packing
- a storage pouch, which helps function as a neck roll or lumbar support
- an extra-firm feel
- a ridged design to offer support to the head, neck, and shoulders
Tempur-Pedic pillows feature a unique material called TEMPUR Material, which the company modified using a formula based on space-grade components.
NASA developed this material to absorb the gravitational force of astronauts as they traveled into space. It created a foam that contained billions of heat-sensitive, open cells that slowly spring back under pressure.
The team at Tempur-Pedic used this formula to create a unique filling for their pillows that is different from classic memory foam. This means these pillows can adapt to a person’s body weight, shape, and temperature. They feature fluid-like and elastic properties that work together to offer support, comfort, and adaptability.
Tempur-Pedic’s neck and support pillows are appropriate for people who need more neck, back, and shoulder support when sleeping.
Companies make neck pillows specifically to support the curvature of the neck, which may help improve sleep for people who experience neck pain or discomfort. Neck pillows usually consist of materials that mold to the shape of the spine, such as memory foam or latex.
Neck pillows may also help with certain medical conditions. For example, a
However, more research is needed to determine the effectiveness of neck pillows across a larger group of people.
There are several factors that a person may wish to consider when deciding which pillow to purchase. These include:
- their sleeping position
- pillow size and height
- whether a pillow offers the right level of comfort and support
- product durability, which may be something the manufacturer promises with a warranty
- sustainability or eco-friendly certification
Sometimes, companies offer a trial period, during which a person can try a pillow out and send it back if they do not like it. Tempur-Pedic does not offer this. They only accept returns if an item arrives damaged or has a defect.
Tempur-Pedic pillows come in three sizes: small, medium, and large. According to the Tempur-Pedic website, the best size depends on a person’s typical sleep position and the distance from their neck to the outside of their shoulder. The following chart can help with choosing the right size:
|Neck to shoulder||Side sleeper||Back sleeper|
|Up to 4 inches (10.1 centimeters)||small||small|
|4–6 inches (10.1 to 15.2 cm)||medium||small|
|6–10 inches (15.2 to 25.4 cm)||large||medium|
|More than 10 inches||large||large|
When it comes to organic products and sustainability, people should look for the following certifications:
Here are some answers to questions people often have about neck pillows.
Will a neck pillow help with neck pain?
Some people find that neck pillows help with pain, but this varies from person to person depending on the cause of the pain and other factors.
Purchasing a pillow from a company that offers a trial period can help someone find the right fit for their needs.
How do you use a neck pillow?
People can use neck pillows in the same way as standard bed pillows. However, if a person has never used a neck pillow before, it may take a few nights to adapt to the new shape.
How long do Tempur-Pedic pillows last?
Tempur-Pedic provides a 5-year warranty for its pillows. So a Tempur-Pedic neck pillow should last at least this long.
In addition to neck pillows, Tempur-Pedic also offers:
- the Tempur-Cloud Pillow, which is a standard head pillow
- the Tempur-Cloud Adjustable Pillow, which allows someone to customize the firmness
- the Tempur-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Pillow, which has a layer of cooling gel
- the Tempur-Symphony Pillow, which has two sides — one for back sleepers and one for side sleepers
- 18–60 years of age: 7 hours or more per night
- 61–64 years of age: 7–9 hours per night
- 65 years and older: 7–8 hours per night
If a person does not get enough sleep, they may develop a number of symptoms that can negatively impact their day-to-day life. These
- excessive daytime sleepiness
- poor concentration
- mood shifts and irritability
- reduced sexual desire
Type 2 diabetes
The study indicated this risk occurs because a person needs a minimum of 8 hours’ sleep for proper metabolism function. As a result, participants who regularly slept less than 6 hours per night showed reduced glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity. The research concluded that this could increase a person’s risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
There may be a link between a lack of sleep and increased body weight. A 2018 study showed that people who regularly slept 7 hours or less a day were more likely to develop obesity and have a higher average body mass index than those who slept more.
Getting the right amount of sleep may also help prevent heart attack.
A 2019 study showed that people who slept less than 6 hours a night were 20% more likely to experience a heart attack than individuals who slept 6–9 hours per night.
The research also showed that those who regularly slept more than 9 hours every night had an increased risk of heart attack. They had a 34% higher risk of heart attack than people who slept 6–9 hours each night.
If a person is experiencing severe neck pain, they should seek medical help.
People should also consult a doctor if they have any of the following symptoms:
- neck pain that occurs after a motor vehicle accident, fall, or diving accident
- pain, numbness, or weakness in the arms or legs
- bowel or bladder problems
- severe pain or pain that gets worse over time
- severe headaches that come with neck pain
- nausea and vomiting
- a lump in the neck or head
If a person finds their sleep is affecting their daily life, they should seek medical help.
There are several reasons why a person might not be getting enough sleep, such as neck pain or stiffness.
Research shows that getting the right amount of sleep each night is important for maintaining good health. If a person is not sleeping enough, they may be at risk of fatigue, mood shifts, and concentration issues.
Poor sleep is also associated with other health conditions, such as type 2 diabetes and heart attacks.
To improve neck pain, individuals can try neck support pillows. Tempur-Pedic offers a variety of neck pillows that may be suitable for people with this health issue.