We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Tempur-Pedic is a manufacturer and distributor of mattresses and pillows based in the United States. Their range of neck pillows offers additional support to a person’s neck, head, and back while they sleep. This can help people with neck pain.
A good quality pillow can help support the head and keep the spine aligned to assist people in achieving restful sleep.
There has been much research into the importance of sleep, with a
This article explores the Tempur-Pedic neck pillow range and discusses who might benefit from these pillows.
According to Tempur-Pedic, all pillows come with a 5-year warranty and feature a removable, machine-washable cover for added convenience. The company also offers free shipping across the U.S.
The foam in Tempur-Pedic products is 100% CertiPUR-US certified. This means that it meets rigorous standards for emissions, content, durability, and performance.
Below is a range of neck pillows from Tempur-Pedic.
Please note, the writer has not tested these products. All information is research-based.
The Tempur-Neck Pillow follows the natural curve of a person’s body. Tempur-Pedic states that they designed this product for back and side sleepers.
The pillow features:
- three different size options to suit a number of body types and sleep positions
- contours and an ergonomic design that supports a person’s head, neck, and shoulders during sleep
- TEMPUR Material, which allows the neck and shoulder muscles to relax while still offering adequate support
- a hypoallergenic cover
This is a medium-feel neck pillow that helps cradle a person’s neck while they sleep. Tempur-Pedic says this pillow is ideal for back and side sleepers.
This product features:
- a cooling gel, which helps keep a person cool overnight
- a high-stretch performance cover
- the ability to adapt to a person’s shape over time
The Tempur-Essential Support Pillow does not target neck support specifically. Instead, it is a general support pillow that can help gently align a person’s head, neck, and shoulders as they sleep.
This pillow is:
- ideal for people who sleep on their back and stomach
- able to adapt to a person’s weight, shape, and temperature to ensure a comfortable sleep.
- lightweight with an extra-soft feel
The Tempur-Down Precise Support Pillow has a medium feel and offers very high levels of support, according to Tempur-Pedic.
The company also states that this pillow is:
- suitable for people of all sleeping positions, including those who sleep on their side, back, or stomach
- versatile and can adapt to a person’s weight and shape
- available to purchase in king and queen sizes
The NeckPillow – Travel model is ideally suited for use while traveling. People who require a more controlled sleep posture may find this product beneficial.
The pillow features:
- a smaller size than other models for easy packing
- a storage pouch, which helps function as a neck roll or lumbar support
- an extra-firm feel
- a ridged design to offer support to the head, neck, and shoulders
Tempur-Pedic pillows feature a unique material called TEMPUR Material, which the company modified using a formula based on space-grade components.
NASA developed this material to absorb the gravitational force of astronauts as they traveled into space. They created a foam that contained billions of heat-sensitive, open cells that slowly spring back under pressure.
The team at Tempur-Pedic used this formula to create a unique filling for their pillows that is different from classic memory foam. This means these pillows are able to adapt to a person’s body weight, shape, and temperature. They feature fluid-like and elastic properties that work together to offer support, comfort, and adaptability.
Who would these pillows best suit?
Tempur-Pedic offers a versatile range of products. They sell pillows that are suitable for side sleepers, back sleepers, and stomach sleepers. These come in a range of firmnesses, ranging from extra-soft to extra-firm.
Tempur-Pedic’s neck and support pillows are appropriate for people who require added support to their neck, back, and shoulders when sleeping.
There are several factors that a person may wish to consider when deciding which pillow to purchase.
- eco-friendly certification
- pillow size and height
- their sleeping position
It is also worth considering other aspects of the product, including:
- returns policies
When it comes to organic products and sustainability, people should look for the following certifications:
The organization advises that people get the following recommended hours of sleep per night:
- 18–60 years of age: 7 hours or more per night
- 61–64 years of age: 7–9 hours per night
- 65 years and older: 7–8 hours per night
If a person does not get enough sleep, they may develop a number of symptoms that can negatively impact their day-to-day life.
- excessive daytime sleepiness
- poor concentration
- mood swings and irritability
- reduced sexual desire
Type 2 diabetes
The study indicated this risk occurs because a person needs a minimum of 8 hours’ sleep for proper metabolism function. As a result, participants who were regularly sleeping less than 6 hours per night showed reduced glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity. The research concluded this could increase a person’s risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
There may be a link between a lack of sleep and increased body weight. A 2018 study showed that people who regularly slept 7 hours or less a day were more likely to develop obesity and have a higher average body mass index than those who slept more.
Getting the right amount of sleep may also help prevent a person from experiencing a heart attack.
A 2019 study showed that people who slept less than 6 hours a night were 20% more likely to suffer from a heart attack than individuals who slept 6–9 hours every day.
The research also showed that those who regularly slept over 9 hours every day had an increased risk of experiencing a heart attack, with a 34% higher risk than those who slept 6–9 hours.
There are several ways a person can try to manage their neck pain.
- over-the-counter pain relief
- heat and cold therapy
- avoiding contact sports
- avoiding heavy lifting
- physical therapy
- performing gentle neck stretches and exercises
- maintaining good posture
- using supportive neck pillows when sleeping
When to see a doctor
If a person is experiencing severe neck pain, they should seek medical help.
People should also consult with a doctor if they have any of the following symptoms:
- neck pain that occurs after a motor vehicle accident, a fall, or a diving accident
- pain, numbness, or weakness in the arms or legs
- bowel or bladder problems
- severe pain or pain that gets worse over time
- severe headaches that come with neck pain
- nausea and vomiting
- a lump in the neck or head
If a person finds their sleep is affecting their daily life, they should seek medical help.
There are several reasons why a person might not be getting enough sleep, such as neck pain or stiffness.
Research shows that getting a good amount of sleep each day is an important factor in maintaining good health. If a person is not getting enough sleep, they may be at risk of fatigue, mood swings, and concentration issues.
Poor sleep also has associations with other health conditions such as type 2 diabetes and heart attacks.
To improve neck pain, individuals can try neck support pillows. Tempur-Pedic offers a variety of neck pillows that may be suitable for people with this health issue.