We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
There are 14 different types of Tempur-Pedic pillows. All have body-molding capabilities. Some have a traditional shape, while others have a contour that aligns with the shape of the head and neck. Some also feature cooling materials.
This article explores the Tempur-Pedic brand and its pillows and offers some pillow-shopping tips. It also looks at other types of pillows available and how pillows may affect sleep.
Tempur-Pedic began trading in 1992, making pillows and mattresses with NASA-grade materials to cushion astronauts during a rocket launch.
Their signature material, called TEMPUR, adjusts to an individual’s shape, weight, and temperature. It holds a CertiPUR-US certification, which means the manufacturing process does not use certain harmful chemicals and has a low gas emission level.
According to reviews on the Tempur-Pedic website, most of their pillows score 4.5 out of 5 stars on average. However, two pillows have a 4.0 average rating, while another has an average score of 3.5.
One independent reviewer gave a 5-star score for one pillow on Trustpilot. However, Trustpilot’s overall rating of the Tempur-Pedic brand is 1.6 stars.
The Better Business Bureau state that Tempur-Pedic has an overall score of 1.1 stars. The main areas of concern are customer service, warranties, exchanges, and refunds.
Manufacturers make pillows using an array of materials, most of which have pros and cons. For example, cotton and polyester are inexpensive materials but may flatten with time, while down feathers are soft but costly.
When shopping for a pillow, a person may wish to consider features they consider most important, such as products consisting of natural materials to avoid chemicals.
Similarly, people with neck pain may wish to try a shaped orthopedic pillow that conforms to the natural curve of their neck.
Some people may prefer a pillow with certifications, such as:
- USDA Organic certification: This guarantees that manufacturers do not use chemicals to raise animals, such as sheep for wool, or grow plants, such as cotton. However, it does not ensure that the processing of the materials does not involve chemicals.
- Global Organic Latex Standard: This ensures a product comprises more than 95% certified organic raw material and does not exceed permissible limits of harmful substances.
- Global Organic Textile Standard: Guarantees a company produce textiles from a minimum of 70% certified natural organic fibers.
While most people appreciate a return policy, many pillow manufacturers do not offer one, as pillows are personal items. Once a person removes the outer packaging, many retailers accept returns. Therefore, check descriptions and reviews of pillows before purchasing.
An orthopedic pillow has a curve that aligns with the curve of the head, neck, and shoulders. The authors found these pillow types may lead to better sleep quality than the other two options.
Other research explored how different types of pillows may affect sleep quality. The authors concluded that pillows with the following characteristics might improve sleep quality and reduce sleep-related neck pain:
- latex material
- contoured design
- cooling surface
- 7–11 centimeter height of the central part of the pillow
Tempur-Pedic offer 14 pillow models. All come with a washable cover, a 5-year warranty, and free shipping.
Below are a few options to consider.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
The TEMPUR-Cloud is the company’s most popular pillow.
It provides softness in a traditional shape, while the pillow compresses easily, making it suitable for traveling.
The company state the TEMPUR-Symphony combines two designs into one pillow.
One side features a gentle arch for back sleepers, while the other side is flatter to suit stomach and side-sleepers.
It also contains a unique formulation of TEMPUR for improved softness.
TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Pillow
The TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze contains two layers of cooling gel and a medium-feel TEMPUR material.
The shape is traditional, while the company claim it offers cooling properties with support for a refreshing sleep.
The TEMPUR-Neck pillow shape follows the contours of a person’s shoulders, neck, and head.
The TEMPUR fabric is also ergonomically contoured to minimize discomfort.
It comes in three sizes to fit all body types.
TEMPUR-Essential Support pillow
The TEMPUR-Essential Support pillow offers aligning support for the shoulders, neck, and head for stomach and back sleepers.
The company have designed this pillow using one piece of TEMPUR material, making it lightweight and extra soft.
Other Tempur-Pedic products
Aside from pillows, Tempur-Pedic make the following products:
- Bed bases: Allow a person to adjust the head or foot of the bed. Some models even include massage and under-bed lighting functions.
- Bedding: Includes sheet sets, pillowcases, coverlets, comforters, and protective covers.
- Cushions: These varieties include seat cushions and lower back cushions.
- Mattresses: According to the company, these can adapt to a person’s weight, temperature, and shape to relieve pressure and reduce discomfort.
- Mattress toppers: These consist of cooling or non-cooling bed-sized cushions that sit on top of a mattress.
- Stuffed toys: Includes stuffed bears consisting of TEMPUR material.
Alternatives to Tempur-Pedic pillows include:
- Down feathers: These pillows are soft, fluffy, and natural. However, they usually need dry cleaning.
- Latex: These pillows offer good support, although some synthetic varieties may emit gasses.
- Memory foam: These pillows can provide joint pain relief, but they may give off an odor due to gas emissions.
- Natural material: Includes pillows consisting of materials such as wool or buckwheat. They do not emit gasses, but they may be harder to clean.
While pillow types may affect sleep quality, other factors may also influence it. The
- sleeping in a quiet, dark place at a comfortable temperature
- having a consistent time for going to bed and getting up in the morning
- removing electronic devices, such as computers, TVs, and smartphones, from the bedroom
- exercising regularly
- avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and large meals at bedtime
The CDC also recommend that adults get
- cardiovascular conditions, such as high blood pressure, stroke, and irregular heartbeat
- type 2 diabetes
- mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression
Aside from these health effects, insufficient sleep also may contribute to
If sleep problems affect how a person feels during the day, they may wish to consult with a doctor.
Individuals may benefit from maintaining a sleep diary for at least 10 days before speaking with a doctor. This should record:
- the number of naps a person takes during the day, if any
- the amount of exercise a person performs during the day
- caffeine and alcohol consumption
- a person’s sleeping and waking times
TEMPUR is the material within a Tempur-Pedic pillow designed by NASA to cushion astronauts during a rocket launch. According to Tempur-Pedic, these pillows offer enhanced comfort and support.
Many of the reviews on the company website are positive. However, independent reviews paint a more negative picture.
Before purchasing, a person may explore other types and brands of pillows that are available.