We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Meal delivery services with vegan options allow people following a plant-based diet to eat the way they want without spending hours on meal preparation.
Many people eat a vegan diet because they have concerns about animal welfare or the environment. Others believe that a plant-based diet has certain health benefits.
Some of the potential health benefits of a vegan diet are:
- Improved heart health.
Researchhas linked a plant-based diet with a lower risk of heart disease. According to the American Heart Association, a diet low in saturated fats — such as a vegan diet — may reduce stroke and heart disease risk.
- Lower risk of type 2 diabetes. An extensive
2019 reviewsuggests that a plant-based diet may reduce a person’s risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Lower cancer risk. A review from 2017 concludes that a vegan diet may reduce cancer risk by as much as 15%. However, the evidence is not conclusive.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has stated that an adequately planned plant-based diet can be “nutritionally adequate.” However, without planning, it is possible to develop deficiencies in specific vitamins and minerals when eating a restrictive diet. People eating a vegan diet may wish to be conscious of the risk of deficiency.
Some possible vitamin and mineral deficiencies include:
People who want to follow a vegan diet can try meal delivery services that are either fully vegan or plant-based. “Fully vegan” refers to the exclusion of animal products from nonfood items and lifestyle decisions in addition to the diet, whereas “plant-based” describes only a diet consisting mostly or entirely of plant foods.
Many companies offer plant-based meal delivery services, and some offer only vegan options and no meat, fish, or dairy choices. We look at some of the top options below.
All companies provide specific cooking and storage instructions with each meal.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information is purely research-based.
Best vegan meal kit
Purple Carrot is a completely vegan meal kit delivery service. Meal kits provide users with preportioned ingredients and a recipe to follow, so users can prepare a plant-based meal at home.
The meals this company offers suit a variety of tastes and dietary needs.
- Cost: Meals cost $9.99–$11.99 per serving, with free shipping.
- Menu options: Users can choose gluten-free, low calorie, and high protein options.
- Sample meals: Some available dishes are mushroom fried rice, Korean tofu tacos, roasted root salad, smoky tempeh BLTs, and farmers market tofu scramble.
- Customization: The subscription-based service allows people to skip weeks when they do not want to receive a delivery.
- Other considerations: Most of the ingredients are organic. This service requires the customer to prepare and cook the ingredients to make their meal.
Best organic vegan meal delivery
Veestro is an entirely organic and vegan meal delivery service offering prepared meals that require only heating.
It offers a range of meals to suit different tastes and introduce people to new meals.
- Cost: The cost of the service starts at $9.90 per meal.
- Menu options: All meals are vegan. Users can filter by dietary preferences, such as gluten-free, low calorie, nut-free, soy-free, kosher, and high protein.
- Sample meals: Some available dishes are farro ragout, miso udon, red curry with tofu, banana French toast and scramble, and southwest BBQ chick’n.
- Customization: People can buy meals without a subscription or subscribe to weekly deliveries.
- Other considerations: Subscribers get a small discount on their purchase. It is possible to pause or cancel the subscription at any time.
Healthy vegan meal delivery
Sakara delivers nutritious ready-to-eat meals on a customizable schedule. All meals are vegan and organic.
The company offers meals designed to be nutritious and luxurious, catering to specific health and wellness goals.
- Cost: The service costs $70 or more per day, depending on a person’s selections.
- Menu options: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner options are available.
- Sample meals: Some available dishes are Thai burger, beauty blend salad, cinnamon cider donuts, warming miso noodle soup, and heart center sushi bowl.
- Customization: People can select the frequency of deliveries. There are different meal programs, such as “The 10-Day Reset” and “Detox.”
- Other considerations: Customers can choose a one-time delivery or sign up for a subscription.
Low cost vegan meal delivery
MamaSezz offers fully vegan ready-to-eat meals. The company operates a zero waste facility, and the meals are free from a range of allergens and additives.
The meals it offers are “comfort food” options.
- Cost: The company states that it aims for meals to be between $4 and $6 per serving.
- Menu options: Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, desserts, snacks, and sauces are available.
- Sample meals: Some available dishes are Mama Nellie’s rice pudding, lentil dahl with quinoa, classic cornbread, and Mama’s baked beans.
- Customization: People can choose specific subscription bundles that renew weekly or pick and choose meals from an a la carte menu.
- Other considerations: The company offers a range of meals and bundles to suit different health goals, including weight loss, high protein, and detox.
Some companies offer vegan options alongside meat-based meals, which may suit people who are also selecting meals for nonvegans.
However, these brands will not be right for people who disagree with buying from a nonvegan company.
Vegan and omnivore meal delivery
This meal delivery service provides ready-to-eat meals that require only heating. The company also provides nonvegan meals that include meat and fish.
The meals have simple flavors designed to suit a range of palates.
- Cost: The program costs $9.33 per meal, but the Protein+ and Paleo plans cost $3 more.
- Menu options: The vegan menu includes options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Sample meals: Some available dishes are teriyaki bowl with plant-based chickn, maple parsley carrot with tofu, herb roasted potatoes with brown rice and green beans, apple cinnamon oatmeal, and coconut almond buttercups.
- Customization: Customers can choose from a selection of meals or subscribe to the weekly meal plan.
- Other considerations: People who want to get meals from Fresh n’ Lean need a microwave or stove to reheat food.
The following are some alternative plant-based meal delivery brands to consider:
- Daily Harvest: This service provides plant-based snacks and drinks, including smoothies, soups, fruit bowls, and lattes. A person chooses how many items they want to receive and specifies whether they want weekly or monthly delivery. Learn more about Daily Harvest here.
- Splendid Spoon: This service offers smoothies, soups, and grain bowls. People can choose from more than 50 ready-made meals. Learn more about Splendid Spoon here.
People first need to decide whether they want to receive meal kits or ready-made meals. Meal kits allow customers to prepare and cook their meals, while prepared meals usually require only heating.
Meal kits can help people who are new to cooking in general or just starting out on a plant-based diet to learn some of the basics. Some people may also prefer cooking their own meals.
One benefit of choosing a meal kit service is that they often come with reusable recipe cards. Once a person learns a recipe, they can cook it again using the printed card. However, most meal kits require a person to have a well-stocked pantry.
Meal delivery can save people time and effort because they do not need to buy and prepare ingredients. For people with limited time or cooking experience, meal delivery can be helpful.
People should also select a service that offers dietary accommodations if they need to avoid certain ingredients because of an allergy or another health condition.
Those with strong moral reasons for following a vegan diet may prefer to choose a company that offers only plant-based meals and no meat options. People who also need to accommodate meat eaters in their household may prefer a company that offers both vegan and nonvegan options.
Signing up for a vegan meal kit or meal delivery service can help people ensure that they eat a nutritious and balanced diet without worrying about time and planning.
Many vegan meal delivery companies are available, offering a range of meal options. Individuals can compare different menus and services to identify the one most suited to their tastes and needs.