We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Meal delivery services with vegan options allow people following a plant-based diet to eat the way they want without spending hours on meal preparation.
This article reviews some of the top vegan meal delivery services after providing a brief overview of the health benefits and possible risks of a vegan diet.
Many people eat a vegan diet because they have concerns about animal welfare or the environment. Others believe that a plant-based diet has certain health benefits.
Some of the potential health benefits of a vegan diet include:
- Improved heart health: Research has linked a plant-based diet with a lower risk of heart disease. According to the American Heart Association (AHA), a diet low in saturated fats — such as a vegan diet — may reduce stroke and heart disease risk.
- Lower risk of type 2 diabetes: An extensive
2019 reviewsuggests that a plant-based diet may reduce a person’s risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Lower cancer risk: A review from 2017 concludes that a vegan diet may reduce cancer risk by as much as 15%. However, the evidence is not conclusive.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics have stated that an adequately planned plant-based diet can be “nutritionally adequate.” However, without planning, it is possible to become deficient in specific vitamins and minerals when eating a restrictive diet. People eating a vegan diet may wish to be conscious of the risk of deficiency.
Some possible vitamin and mineral deficiencies include:
People who want to follow a vegan diet can try meal delivery services that are either fully vegan or plant-based. Fully vegan refers to the exclusion of animal products from nonfood items and lifestyle decisions, in addition to the diet, whereas plant-based just describes a diet consisting mostly or entirely of plant foods.
Many companies offer plant-based meal delivery services, with some offering only vegan options and no meat, fish, or dairy choices. We look at some of the top options below.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information is purely research-based.
This completely vegan meal kit delivery service provides users with all the ingredients they need to prepare a delicious and nutritious plant-based meal at home.
- Cost: $9.99 to $11.99 per serving, with free shipping.
- Menu options: Users can choose between gluten-free, low calorie, and high protein options.
- Customization: The subscription-based service allows people to skip weeks when they do not want to receive a delivery.
- Other considerations: Most of the ingredients are organic. This service requires the customer to prepare and cook the ingredients to make their meal.
Veestro is an entirely organic and vegan meal delivery service, offering preprepared meals that only require heating.
- Cost: Starts at $9.90 per meal.
- Menu options: All meals are vegan. Users can filter by dietary preferences, such as gluten-free, low calorie, nut-free, soy-free, kosher, and high protein.
- Customization: People can buy meals without a subscription or subscribe to weekly deliveries.
- Other considerations: Subscribers get a small discount on their purchase. It is possible to pause or cancel the subscription at any time.
Sakara deliver premium ready-to-eat meals on a customizable schedule. All meals are vegan and organic.
- Cost: From $70 per day, depending on a person’s selections.
- Menu options: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Customization: People can select the frequency of deliveries. There are different meal programs, such as “The 10-Day Reset” and “Detox.”
- Other considerations: Customers can choose a one-time delivery or sign up for a subscription.
MamaSezz offer fully vegan ready-to-eat meals. They operate a zero waste facility, and their meals are free from a range of allergens and additives.
- Cost: The company state that they aim for meals to be between $4 and $6 per serving.
- Menu options: They offer breakfasts, lunches, dinners, desserts, snacks, and sauces.
- Customization: People can choose specific subscription bundles that renew weekly or pick and choose meals from an a la carte menu.
- Other considerations: The company offer a range of meals and bundles to suit different health goals, including weight loss, high protein, and detox.
The following are some alternative plant-based meal delivery brands to consider:
Daily Harvest offer plant-based snacks and drinks, including smoothies, soups, fruit bowls, and lattes. A person chooses how many items they want to receive and specifies whether they want weekly or monthly delivery.
Splendid Spoon offer smoothies, soups, and grain bowls. People can choose from more than 50 ready-made meals.
Some companies offer vegan options alongside meat-based meals, which may suit people who are also selecting meals for nonvegans.
However, these brands will not be right for people who disagree with buying from a nonvegan company.
This meal delivery service provides ready-to-eat meals that just require heating. The company also provide nonvegan meals that include meat and fish.
- Cost: $9.33 per meal, but $3 more for the Protein+ and Paleo plans.
- Menu options: The vegan menu includes options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Customization: Customers can choose from a selection of meals or subscribe to the weekly meal plan.
- Other considerations: People who want to get meals from Fresh n’ Lean need a microwave or stove to reheat food.
People first need to decide whether they want to receive meal kits or ready-made meals. Meal kits allow customers to prepare and cook their meals, while preprepared meals usually only require heating.
Meal kits can help people who are new to cooking in general or just starting out on a plant-based diet to learn some of the basics. Some people may also prefer cooking their own meals.
One benefit of choosing a meal kit service is that they often come with reusable recipe cards. Once a person learns a recipe, they can cook it again using the printed card. However, most meal kits require a person to have a well-stocked pantry.
Meal delivery can save people time and effort because they do not need to buy and prepare ingredients. For people with limited time or cooking experience, meal delivery can be helpful.
People should also select a service that offers dietary accommodations if they need to avoid certain ingredients because of an allergy or another health condition.
Those with strong moral reasons for following a vegan diet may prefer to choose a company that only offers plant-based meals and no meat options. People who also need to accommodate meat eaters in the household may prefer a company that offers both vegan and nonvegan options.
Signing up for a vegan meal kit or meal delivery service can help people ensure that they eat a nutritious and balanced diet without worrying about time and planning.
Many vegan meal delivery companies are available, offering a range of meal options. Individuals can compare different menus and services to identify the one most suited to their tastes and needs.