We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements offer a blend of vitamins and minerals to increase hair growth for individuals experiencing hair loss due to stress, inadequate nutrition, age, or environmental factors.
In addition to hair growth supplements, Viviscal develops other hair care products for those seeking to improve their hair’s overall look and feel. This article will explore hair growth supplements and some alternative options.
Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements, more commonly called Viviscal, contain the proprietary active ingredient AminoMar, a compound of marine extracts and polysaccharides. Its other ingredients include:
- fish oil
- vitamin C
- horsetail extract
According to the company, there is clinical research suggesting that the supplement’s ingredients nourish thinning hair and promote hair growth, with noticeable benefits within 3–6 months.
More specifically, the Viviscal company claims its supplements:
- nurture hair follicles
- boost new hair growth
- accelerate overall hair growth
While the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not confirm these claims, Viviscal claims its products meet the
Consumers and reviewers have identified the advantages and disadvantages of Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements.
- suitable for use by people with all hair types
- Harper’s Bazaar 2022 Beauty Winner
- natural ingredients
- noticeable results
- scientific formulation
- clinical trials indicate their effectiveness
- easy to use
- risk-free subscription and 90-day money-back guarantee
- free shipping for subscriptions and orders of $110 and above
- potential allergic reactions in those allergic to fish or shellfish
- relatively high cost
- use of additives, including artificial color, fillers, binders, and flavors
- reported shipping delays
- no international shipping
- could be ineffective for some
Viviscal states that its products are suitable for people experiencing hair loss. The company claims that it can reduce hair loss while increasing the hair’s thickness, volume, and strength.
Viviscal is not suitable for people with an allergy to fish or shellfish due to the ingredients. Additionally, the company cannot confirm that the manufacturing site is free from cross-contamination of dairy, eggs, nuts, wheat, and gluten.
Additionally, this product is not suitable for people who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
The blood vessels attached to hair follicles nourish hair so that it can grow. Viviscal supplements claim to improve the nutrients that these hair follicles receive.
The Viviscal company explains that hair growth includes four stages:
- Anagen: This phase lasts 2–7 years, and the amount of time a hair spends in this phase determines its length.
- Catagen: This interim phase lasts around 10 days. During this time, the hair follicle shrinks and partially separates from the dermal papillae.
- Telogen: This is the “resting phase” for older hair that lasts around 3 months. As the old hair rests, a new hair starts to grow. However, excess shedding and noticeable hair thinning occur if the hair enters this phase too early.
- Exogen: This is an extension of the resting or telogen phase, where the old hair disconnects from the follicle and sheds as the incoming hair continues to grow.
No two hairs are in the same stage of the hair growth cycle at the same time. The Viviscal company claims that its supplements extend a strand of hair’s time in the growth or anagen phase of the cycle.
As people age, the length of the anagen stage typically decreases. When this occurs, hair has less time to thicken and build strength.
Research from 2015 indicates that certain nutrients, such as those in Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements, help sustain regular hair growth. More specifically, these nutrients may help increase the amount of hair and decrease shedding in women who reported hair thinning.
Additionally, studies indicate that supplements containing marine-derived protein and fish oil minimized hair loss in females but did not encourage hair growth. A 2018 review suggests vitamins and minerals have a significant but obscure role in hair follicle development.
The AminoMar, biotin, vitamin C, and zinc in Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements reportedly nurture hair follicles to encourage hair growth. These nutrients may also work to create stronger, healthier hair.
Viviscal claims there are various benefits from these ingredients:
- AminoMar: A compound of shark cartilage and mollusk powder that contains certain proteins, which encourage hair growth and increase hair density.
- Fish oil: Provides omega-3 fatty acids that can help nourish hair follicles.
- Silica: Stabilizes calcium and magnesium levels to balance hormones that may impact hair growth.
- Biotin: Speeds up hair growth and increases its thickness.
- Niacin or Vitamin B3: Increases blood flow to the scalp and hair follicles to stimulate hair growth.
- Vitamin C: Promotes collagen production, which then strengthens hair.
- Zinc: Reduces dandruff and allows for healthy hair growth.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) currently gives the company an F grade. On this review platform, Viviscal has a score of 1.25 stars out of 5, which comes from five customer reviews. All reviews on the BBB website are generally negative and cite problems with the company’s customer service.
There are currently two positive reviews on Trustpilot’s website, where the company has a score of 3.8 stars out of 5.
The Viviscal company sells the following hair care products:
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Viviscal claims that this is a 100% drug-free hair growth product.
The company states that this supplement may help prolong the hair’s anagen or growing phase.
This product contains the company’s proprietary AminoMar complex alongside:
- vitamin C
- horsetail extract
Each pack contains 60 tablets. Viviscal states people should take one tablet twice per day.
Price: Viviscal Extra Strength Dietary Supplements cost $40 for a one-month supply.
Viviscal states that this shampoo cleanses, nourishes, and thickens the hair.
This shampoo contains the company’s proprietary Ana-Tel™ formula, which includes pea sprouts. Other ingredients are:
Price: Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo costs $9.99.
Viviscal states that this conditioner is suitable for all types of hair, including those that are brittle or chemically damaged.
This conditioner contains the Ana-Tel™ formula as well as:
Price: Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Conditioner costs $9.99
Viviscal states that this leave-in treatment is lightweight and body-boosting for thicker hair.
This conditioner contains the Ana-Tel™ formula and biotin, keratin, and zinc.
The company says this product is suitable for all hair types and is non-greasy.
Price: Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Elixir costs $19.99.
Individuals can order Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements directly via the company’s website.
To order Viviscal supplements online, a person can visit the company’s website or a retail location such as Walmart.
If a person orders online from the company, they can choose between a one-time delivery or an auto-shipment program. People can choose to receive their products in three- or nine-month supplies when choosing auto-shipment.
One-time purchases of over $110 include free shipping. All auto-shipment products have free shipping. People can modify or cancel their subscriptions at any time.
Available products similar to Viviscal supplements include:
- Hair La Vie Clinical Formula Hair Vitamins: This supplement includes US Plus Saw Palmetto and EnvolMax Toctotrienols — two ingredients that could stimulate hair growth and strengthen existing hair. The company suggests this supplement can work in as little as 30 days.
- clean and natural ingredients
- uses clinically researched ingredients
- free shipping
- 90-day, risk-free money-back guarantee
- only available in the U.S.
- might not be effective for some people
- Hair Hero Vitamins: This supplement contains vitamins and minerals, such as biotin, folic acid, saw palmetto, and collagen, which address hormonal shifts, nutritional deficits, and stresses due to hair loss.
- a unique formula of vitamins and minerals that support hair growth
- 365-day money-back guarantee
- takes some time for best results
- only available in the U.S.
- Nutrafol Core for Women: This supplement offers a proprietary blend of vitamins and nutrients, including 300 micrograms of biotin.
- several positive customer reviews
- contains vitamins A, C, and D, and nutrients and minerals
- higher cost than some products
- limited 30-day return policy
- lack of information on the dosage of key ingredients
The following table compares Viviscal to some of its competitors.
|Hair La Vie
|suitable for all hair types
|clean and natural ingredients
|a unique formula of vitamins and minerals
|contains various vitamins, nutrients, and minerals
|not suitable for those with fish and shellfish allergies
|does not work for all people
|may take time before seeing results
|lack of information on the dosage of ingredients
|$40 for 1 month’s supply
|$59.99 for 1 month’s supply
|$34.99 for 2 month’s supply
|$88 for 1 month’s supply
People may wish to contact a healthcare professional, such as a dermatologist, if they are concerned about hair thinning or loss.
Depending on the cause of hair loss, a person may experience hair regrowth. Hair is more likely to come back on its own if a person has recently:
- given birth
- been ill or undergone surgery
- undergone cancer treatment
- lost a large amount of weight
- had alopecia areata
- received treatment for psoriasis on the scalp
However, some people may need medication or treatment if their hair is unlikely to grow back without help. Healthcare professionals may recommend medication such as finasteride and minoxidil to help reduce hair loss and thinning.
Here we answer some common questions about this company.
Is Viviscal FDA approved?
No, supplements, in general, do not undergo regulation by the FDA in the same way as prescription medicines.
Do Viviscal supplements cause skin breakouts or other skin conditions?
According to Viviscal, five clinical trials of its supplements tested its effects on 235 women and found no skin-related issues.
Does Viviscal promote the growth of eyebrows or eyelashes?
The company says there is no clinical evidence that its supplements promote eyebrow or eyelash growth.
Is Viviscal suitable for people with allergies?
Viviscal is not suitable for individuals with allergies to fish or shellfish. Though the product does not contain dairy, nuts, eggs, or wheat, the manufacturing site may use these ingredients in other products.
Is Viviscal suitable for people with celiac disease, gluten allergy, or gluten sensitivity?
Viviscal supplements do not include gluten-containing ingredients, but the company may manufacture these products at sites that are not gluten-free. For example, Viviscal Extra Strength supplements contain millet seed, which can aggravate gluten sensitivity.
Can breastfeeding or pregnant people take Viviscal?
The company does not recommend its supplements for pregnant or breastfeeding individuals.
What are the side effects of taking Viviscal?
Viviscal does not state any side effects on its website.
However, if a person experiences any adverse effects from taking this supplement, they should discontinue use immediately and contact a doctor.
Additionally, Viviscal contains ingredients that can cause allergic reactions to those with allergies to fish or shellfish. People with these allergies should seek immediate medical attention if they consume Viviscal.
Allergic reaction symptoms
What happens when you stop taking Viviscal?
People who stop taking Viviscal may not notice any change immediately.
While not everyone will notice changes after stopping Viviscal, some people’s hair may become gradually thinner over time.
Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements reportedly revitalize existing hair and encourage hair growth with a proprietary active blend of marine extracts, vitamins, and minerals. The company claims those who use the supplements benefit from increased hair growth and thicker hair in 3–6 months.
The supplements have received many positive consumer reviews. However, some individuals have complained that the supplements are ineffective and that the company does not provide adequate customer service.
Alternative products are available to purchase at various retailers, both in-store and online.
- Ablon, G. (2015). A 3-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the ability of an extra-strength marine protein supplement to promote hair growth and decrease shedding in women with self-perceived thinning hair. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/drp/2015/841570/
- Almohanna, H. M., et al. (2018). The role of vitamins and minerals in hair loss: A review. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13555-018-0278-6?fbclid=IwAR12p0kJ_vyhqHZ-gwV4ARAYkEKN8czblSFZ7pIr-h6lvFb14H-K5qEyqZg
- Dietary supplements. (2019).
- Dougherty, J. M., et al. (2021). Allergy.
- Hair loss: Diagnosis and treatment. (n.d.). https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/hair-loss/treatment/diagnosis-treat
- Viviscal side effects and benefits. (n.d.) https://www.viviscal.com/viviscal-side-effects/