We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Walmart Optical or Vision Center offer a range of eyeglasses, sunglasses, prescriptions, contacts, and other services.
Walmart Optical offer both in-person and online shopping.
This article discusses the Walmart Optical brand, what they offer, alternative options, and the relationship between eyewear and vision health.
Walmart has been in business since 1960. Their main discount department store offers a wide variety of goods and products both in physical stores and online.
Most people n the United States know about Walmart, and there are lots of stores in many locations throughout the country, making it often more convenient than other retailers.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) have not accredited Walmart. The BBB website also shows a 1.19 out of 5-star rating with customers. However, these ratings are not specific to Walmart Optical, making it difficult to determine the overall customer experience.
However, on Walmart’s site, it is possible to see the average customer ratings for each pair of glasses and other optical products they sell. A person can read customer reviews about the specific product they are interested in. However, not every optical product has received a rating.
The Walmart Vision Center offers a full range of glasses, contacts, sunglasses, and services. A person can shop either in person or online with free shipping to their house or a local Walmart.
A person who needs a new prescription can take advantage of their local Walmart Vision Center services. A person can look for their local center using their site’s locator here.
Their vision products include:
- prescription glasses
- blue light glasses
- reading glasses (readers)
- sunglasses (both prescription and non-prescription)
- eye drops
- accessories, such as nose pads, repair kits, and cases
It is unclear on their site if they offer different lenses or additional features, such as scratch resistance.
To order, a person needs to:
- select the frames they like
- select “add to cart”
- continue shopping or proceed to checkout — the online store links to the rest of Walmart.com, which means a person can add additional, non-glasses-related items to their cart before checkout
- select checkout
- fill in billing and shipping information as needed
Though it is not clear on their website, the cost of glasses appears to reflect just the price of the frames. They do not offer a way to enter or send the prescription information. A person may need to bring their new purchase to the store to get prescription lenses placed in their glasses.
When purchasing contacts, however, a person can select the brand and type of contacts they prefer. From there, they can enter their prescription information when ordering. For some, a person can select a subscription service to have new lenses sent every month, 3 months, or 6 months.
There are other online glasses providers to choose from, including:
- GlassesUSA: Offers several different brands of glasses and contacts. Learn more about GlassesUSA here.
- Lensabl: Offers several different frames and lenses to choose from. Learn more about Lensabl here.
- Eyeconic: Offers a variety of different name-brand glasses, sunglasses, and contacts for sale online. Learn more about Eyeconic here.
- Liingo Eyewear: Sells custom frames for a generally lower price. Learn more about Liingo Eyewear here.
- Payne glasses: Offers custom style frames.
- maintaining a healthy blood sugar level
- maintaining a healthy weight
- resting eyes when using devices such as phones, tablets, or computers
- getting regular eye exams
- cleaning hands and contacts before touching the eyes
- sharing family eye history with a doctor
- wearing sunglasses when outdoors
- wearing appropriate eye protection when working with chemicals or objects that may fly into or penetrate the eye
- eating a healthy diet
According to one
The CDC also note that additional research is needed to determine the effects of diet and supplements on preventing vision loss from age and other factors.
Blue light glasses
Walmart, like many other online retailers, sell blue light glasses. Their purpose is to help prevent the damaging effects of blue light from devices, such as computer screens, tablets, phones, or TVs.
However, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), the amount of blue light coming from popular devices does not affect a person’s eye health. They indicate the blue light coming from ordinary devices will not:
- cause or put a person at risk for eye damage or disease
- cause eye strain
- cause issues with sleeping at night
The AAO suggest that the effects of blue light result from other issues, including posture and how long a person is staring at a screen. To prevent problems, they recommend:
- following the 20-20-20 rule, which involves, looking at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds every 20 minutes
- using artificial tears when eyes get dry
- wearing glasses when working on a computer instead of contacts
- reducing glare from the screen
- sitting at least an arm’s length from the screen, placing it parallel to the face
The study recommends using blue light blocking devices, such as glasses, particularly at night.
Walmart Vision Centers offer products and services online and in-store. A person can shop for other items that Walmart carries while shopping for glasses or contacts, but they do not offer lens upgrades or take prescription information on their site.