Tantric sex is a meditative form of sex. The aim is to be present in the moment to achieve a sensual and fulfilling sexual experience.
Tantric sex originates from ancient Hinduism and revolves around sexual practices that focus on creating a deep, intimate connection.
This article explores what tantric sex is, the processes of getting to know one’s body and one’s partner’s body, how to prepare, and building the moment both alone and with a partner. It also covers breathing techniques, positions, and tips.
The concept of tantric sex came from ancient Hinduism and ideas around tantra. Tantra stems loosely from religious texts that focus on spiritualism.
Tantric sex is a slow, meditative form of sex where the end goal is not orgasm but enjoying the sexual journey and sensations of the body. It aims to move sexual energy throughout the body for healing, transformation, and enlightenment.
Tantric sex encourages people to get to know their own bodies and become in tune with them. By understanding the desire of one’s own body, one can incorporate this during sex with a partner. This may lead to greater sexual fulfillment and more intense orgasms.
To understand what one’s body wants, it can be useful to engage in tantric self-love or masturbation.
If a person finds that they have emotional blocks around self-touch, they should be curious and gentle with themselves as they explore what is preventing them from getting to know their own body more intimately. The more a person knows about their body and pleasure zones, the more likely they are to have a satisfying sexual experience.
If someone does not wish to engage in masturbation and has a partner, however, they may feel more comfortable learning about their own body through partnered sex.
Tantric sex is about honoring one’s body and the body of one’s partner. By taking time to get to know one’s own body as well as that of one’s partner, it can help make the experience fulfilling for both people.
A person may consider giving their partner a slow, full-body massage to learn about their body and help awaken their sexual energy. This may also help a person become in tune with their partner’s wants and desires.
As is the case with any sexual activity, if at any point a person or their partner becomes uncomfortable, the activity should stop.
There are a few things a person or couple can do to help prepare for tantric sex. For example, they can:
- Read further into it: The more knowledge someone has on the topic of tantric sex, the more they are likely to feel prepared.
- Set aside time: Tantric sex is about moving slowly and being in the moment. In some cases, it can last an hour or more. Therefore, be sure to set aside some time to fully engage and enjoy the experience.
- Prepare the mind: Focusing on the moment can be difficult if a person is experiencing stress or has many things on their mind. Meditating or stretching before tantric sex may help achieve a clear mindset.
- Find a good place: Environment has a key role in tantric sex. Ideally, it will take place in a relaxing setting with a comfortable temperature. A person may want to dim the lights, light a scented candle, or put on relaxing music.
To build the moment with oneself, a person can try the following tips:
- Practice mindfulness: Tantric sex encourages people to be present in the moment. A person should focus on their breathing and bodily sensations.
- Explore the body: Giving a self-massage in which the person pays attention to their touch and body may help heighten physical sensations and arousal.
- Masturbate: A person may wish to engage in tantric self-love. Like with partnered sex, the goal of this may not be orgasm. Instead, people may do this to try to feel more connected with their own bodies.
To build the moment with a partner, people can try the following tips:
- Adopt a hand-on-heart position: To gain a deep connection, couples should sit cross-legged and face each other. Both partners should place their right hand on the other’s heart, with the left hand atop their partner’s. Feel the connection and try to synchronize breathing.
- Do not go linear: Normally, sexual activities might follow a script of foreplay, intercourse, and orgasm. However, tantric sex is about experimenting, so it is best to stay open to what feels good in the moment.
- Make eye contact: Making eye contact may help deepen the connection and heighten intimacy.
- Take things slow: Tantric sex is meditative and about exploring sensations in the moment. This process should be a slow and enjoyable journey for both partners.
Breathing is an integral part of tantric sex. This is partly because tantric sex revolves around meditation.
During tantric sex, a person should focus on breathing deeply through the diaphragm. To achieve this, they should take a deep breath through the nose for five counts. They should feel their stomach inflate. They should then exhale through the mouth for five counts.
When engaging in tantric sex with a partner, synchronizing the breath may increase connection and intimacy.
Another breathing technique people can try is Kapalbhati. Kapalbhati helps prolong ejaculation in males. When a male feels that they are about to ejaculate, they should forcefully exhale through the mouth, then engage in an automatic inhale through the mouth.
There are many positions that people can try during tantric sex. For example, people may want to try:
In Yab-yum, one partner sits with their legs crossed, and the other partner sits on their partner’s lap, wrapping their legs around their waist.
The partners then embrace and attempt to synchronize their breaths. If the partners want to, they can then rub their genitals against each other, engage in penetrative sex, or just sit there in the moment.
This position is also suitable for masturbation. A person can sit cross-legged with their back straight, place their palms on their knees, and begin deep breathing.
A person may wish to try this in front of a mirror to learn more about their body.
The relaxed arch
For this position, one partner sits on the bed or floor with their legs straight. The other partner then gets on their knees and sits on their partner’s lap. The partner on top then slowly leans back and rests their head between their partner’s legs.
Some tips to better enjoy the experience of tantric sex may include:
Explore and experiment
Tantric sex may be a completely new experience for some people. It is useful to engage in self-exploration by oneself or with a partner.
It may also be useful to experiment with the different aspects of tantric sex to find what works for oneself and one’s partner.
There is no need to be naked during tantric sex, and most positions are possible with and without clothes.
It is up to the couple whether they wish to start naked, start with clothes on and then get naked, or keep their clothes on throughout the experience.
Use the senses
Tantric sex encourages the use of all five senses. By being mindful and in the moment, people can focus on all the senses they are experiencing in the sexual encounter. This can enhance the experience.
Tantric sex is a meditative sexual practice that encourages people to focus on mind-body connections. This can lead to fulfilling sexual experiences and greater intimacy.
When preparing for tantric sex alone or with a partner, it is good to set aside some time and find a comfortable environment. This can help people focus fully on the experience.
Breathing is a key component of tantric sex, as it helps a person focus their mind and be in tune with one’s body. Tantric sex with a partner encourages the synchronization of breathing to promote connection and intimacy.