We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Some of the most potent oils contain up to 12,000 milligrams (mg) of cannabidiol (CBD) per 30 milliliters (mL). Here are 10 of the best potent options and hands-on reviews of Batch and Nuleaf Naturals oils.
- Best overall: cbdMD Broad Spectrum CBD Oil Tincture | Skip to review
- Best for pain: NuLeaf Naturals Full Spectrum Hemp CBD Oil | Skip to review
- Best organic option: Lazarus Naturals Full Spectrum CBD Oil Tincture | Skip to review
- Best environmentally friendly option: Charlotte’s Web CBD Oil, 60 mg/mL | Skip to review
- Best flower-only oil: Cornbread Hemp Distilled CBD Oil | Skip to review
- Best isolate: Medterra Isolate CBD Oil | Skip to review
- Best for relaxation: CBDistillery Ahhh Distilled Full Spectrum CBD Oil Tincture | Skip to review
- Best broad-spectrum: Level Select CBD Drops | Skip to review
- Best for additional cannabinoids: Aspen Green Organic Full Spectrum CBD Oil, Extra Strength | Skip to review
- Best for clarity and focus: Batch Reserve Gold Blend | Skip to review
Is CBD legal?The 2018 Farm Bill removed hemp from the legal definition of marijuana in the Controlled Substances Act. This made some hemp-derived CBD products with less than 0.3% THC federally legal. However, CBD products containing more than 0.3% THC still fall under the legal definition of marijuana, making them federally illegal but legal under some state laws. Be sure to check state laws, especially when traveling. Also, keep in mind that the FDA has not approved nonprescription CBD products, and some products may be inaccurately labeled.
Medical News Today chooses strong CBD oils that meet the following criteria:
- Ingredients: Products must contain safe and high quality clearly labeled ingredients. They should also confirm they are free from pesticides, heavy metals, and mold.
- Dosage: Products that must clearly state the CBD dosage. MNT only features products that have safe CBD dosages.
- Serving size: Manufacturers should clearly recommend a dosage.
- Third-party labs: Products must undergo third-party testing for contaminants in an ISO 17025-compliant laboratory.
- Available certificate of analysis: We choose companies that demonstrate transparency and share a product’s certificate of analysis (COA) after receiving its third-party lab results.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Below are some examples of high strength CBD oils and tinctures.
Healthline employees have tested some of the products below. All opinions are their own.
The table below briefly compares the strongest CBD oils in this article.
|Dose per bottle
|Dose per serving
|0.17 to 3.38 fl oz
|30 or 120 mL
|1,500 mg or 6,000 mg
|30 or 100 mL
|1,800 mg or 6,000 mg
|375, 750, or 1,500 mg
|25 or 50 mg
|500, 1,000, 3,000, or 6,000 mg
|16, 33, or 100 mg
|1,200, 2,400, or 5,000 mg
|20, 40, 83 mg
Before people select CBD oils, they should research different products to find one that is safe and reliable. Customer reviews from third-party sites, such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot, are useful for researching brands.
Individuals may want to review each product’s ingredient list and concentration levels to ensure it is safe and suitable for them. It is important to check for potential allergens in the full ingredients list.
Additionally, people should check if their chosen product is lab-grade and third-party tested.
A person using CBD for the first time may find a product with a lower dosage more suitable. They can then gradually increase the dosage as desired.
People should also not use CBD alongside sedative drugs, such as barbiturates, and narcotics, such as codeine and morphine. Anybody taking medication should speak with a qualified healthcare professional before taking CBD.
CBD can make people drowsy, so people should avoid driving and handling heavy machinery when taking this product.
A person taking CBD for the first time should avoid strong CBD. It is better to start with a lower dose and increase the dosage slowly. However, people should not exceed a brand’s recommended dose on their products’ packaging.
A person should always speak with a healthcare professional before using CBD products.
While there is a wealth of research regarding the effects of cannabis and THC, few high quality human trials are investigating CBD alone.
It is difficult for experts to predict precisely how differences in strength affect CBD’s effectiveness.
Based on the findings of a
Most of the studies included in this review evaluated daily doses of 300–600 mg of CBD, but a few studies reported using doses as high as 2,000 mg per day.
Everyone responds differently to CBD, so it is best for people using CBD to start at a lower dose for the first time.
Purchasing a product with a higher CBD concentration may be more cost-effective and convenient for some people.
For example, someone who uses 300 mg of CBD for chronic pain or anxiety would use 12 full droppers of 25 mg of CBD oil. They could get a similar 300 mg dose by using only one and a half droppers of 2,000 mg CBD oil.
However, stronger products may provide more CBD per unit but may lead to inaccurate dosing.
Learn more about CBD dosage.
- gastrointestinal problems
- decreased appetite
- mood changes, such as irritability
- liver injury (with certain drug interactions)
- interactions with alcohol and other drugs
The FDA has approved only one CBD product, called
Learn more about the side effects of CBD.
People should avoid purchasing products from companies that have inaccurate labeling. The FDA has
In a 2022 study, researchers found that nearly half of the 80 CBD products it looked at that were available for sale in central Kentucky had inaccurate label information.
However, most reputable CBD manufacturers will provide third-party lab results to their customers.
People should always use caution when shopping for CBD, especially high-potency products. High potency CBD products can be inaccurately labeled. Some products may not even contain CBD.
Additionally, some CBD products may contain enough THC to produce a positive result in a drug test.
Learn more about THC and drug tests.
A person should always speak with a healthcare professional before trying any supplement, including CBD oil, especially if they are currently taking medication. If they are considering taking CBD for a particular health problem, such as sleep issues, anxiety, or pain, they should speak with a doctor to make sure it is a suitable supplement to try.
If they experience side effects after taking CBD, they should stop using it and contact a doctor.
Full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD oils may affect the body more than CBD isolate. Full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD contain a range of cannabinoids, flavonoids, and other compounds that work together to increase the effect of the product on the body’s endocannabinoid system, which people call the “entourage effect.”
Most CBD oils contain up to 8,000 mg of CBD per bottle. The products in this article range from 16–250 mg of CBD per serving.
3,000 mg CBD is a strong dose. It is may not suit people new to using CBD.
There is no standardized measure of a strong percentage of CBD. However, some manufacturers consider products containing more than 5% CBD strong.
Many manufacturers include the percentage of CBD on the product’s label or in its COA.
In this article, all CBD products contain around 5–16% of CBD per bottle.
CBD oil is a popular product with many potential benefits. However, more high quality, controlled trials are necessary to verify the medical applications of CBD.
People who currently use CBD products but feel they may benefit from stronger alternatives can use this article for guidance. Those who have never used CBD but are interested in trying it should start with a low dose and gradually work up to more potent products.
People should also discuss CBD with a doctor, as it might interact with medications and supplements.