We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Zenni Optical are a vision brand offering a range of eyewear options, including sunglasses, sports glasses, and various lens and frame choices.
According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, over 150 million people in the United States use corrective eyewear. They spend more than $15 billion per year on these devices. In recent years, online retailers have emerged to meet this demand.
This article discusses Zenni Optical, their services, some alternatives, and how to protect visual health.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented here is purely research-based.
Zenni Optical started life in 2003 in San Francisco, CA. According to their website, their goals are to:
- provide high quality and affordable glasses and lenses
- simplify ordering eyewear online
- take excellent care of their customers
Zenni Optical’s main claim is to offer low prices and high quality glasses frames and lenses. They do not offer any popular brand names, but they do have a wide selection of frames and glasses available.
They have a 30-day return policy, which gives people either a 100% in-store credit refund or a 50% cash refund.
Zenni Optical only offer products and services online. They provide virtual testing of frames so that people can visualize how they may look with different frame styles.
They offer a wide range of lenses and frames, including:
- glasses for adults and children
- clip-on sets
- sports glasses
- protective goggles
- progressive lenses
- cat eye, rimless, half-rim, rectangle, browline, round, metal, and titanium frames
Zenni Optical also sell Blokz lenses, which are specifically designed to block blue light. Their website says that these lenses can help protect people from blue light while they work on computer screens.
These lenses are available in sunglasses, as photochromic lenses that darken in bright sunlight, or in impact-resistant frames.
Zenni Optical’s website contains guides and advice on topics such as:
- finding the best glasses for differently shaped faces
- measurements that people need to take to purchase glasses online
- guidelines for tinting sunglasses
- the cost of wearing glasses
The list below describes some characteristics to review and to be aware of when purchasing glasses or other vision products:
- Look for lenses made of materials suitable for the glasses’ intended purpose, such as using a computer or playing sports.
- Choose protective coatings that are appropriate for the glasses’ intended purpose.
- Work with eye care professionals or follow online instructions carefully to secure a good fit.
- More expensive or designer frames will not necessarily mean a better pair of glasses.
- Look for high quality lenses.
One of the best ways to protect one’s eye and visual health is to undergo regular screenings, including dilated eye exams.
Dilated eye exams can reveal the presence of eye disease and show whether or not someone may need glasses or contact lenses. If a vision device is necessary, a refraction test will follow.
- the lenses needed for each eye
- how powerful the lenses need to be
- if the eye has astigmatism, or a curve to the cornea, that needs correction and where it is
- whether or not correction for double vision is necessary
An optician can make glasses but cannot write the prescription for the lenses.
Aside from getting and wearing glasses if they are needed, some other tips for protecting eye and visual health include the following:
- being aware of one’s family history and risk factors
- resting the eyes regularly when using a computer
- wearing eye protection, such as sunglasses, when necessary
- following a healthy diet
- exercising regularly
- maintaining a moderate weight
- not smoking
In addition to Zenni Optical, there are many other places to shop for glasses online. These include the following:
Warby Parker offer glasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses for purchase online. They also have physical stores in some states.
They allow people to try on five frames at home for free. They also conduct eye exams at their physical stores.
People can add lenses that filter the blue light from computers to any frame, with or without prescription lenses.
Warby Parker’s prices tend to be higher than those of Zenni Optical.
- single-vision lenses (offered free of charge with each frame)
- multifocal lenses
- sports glasses
- prescription sunglasses
- children’s glasses
- blue light glasses
- specialty coatings
- contact lenses
Frame options include designer brands, such as Prada, Oakley, and Ray-Ban, alongside in-house designs.
GlassesUSA also offer a virtual try-on experience.
Coastal have their own in-house designers.
They also have a “MyFit tool,” which they say can help people find frames that fit correctly and comfortably. They also have a “Face Shape Guide” to help customers find glasses they like.
Coastal offer fast shipping and free returns.
Zenni Optical offer a wide range of vision products, such as glasses frames, at a low cost. Customers can use the company’s virtual try-on tool to see how they would look in certain frames.