We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
In 2020 in the United States, 15.3% of people over the age of 18 years reported experiencing a migraine headache or severe headache within the past 3 months.
This information comes from the
This article looks at the Zok device for the treatment of migraine, some alternative options, when to contact a doctor, and some frequently asked questions.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried this product. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
According to the
There are some drug treatments available for migraine, including:
- ergotamine drugs
Healthcare professionals may also recommend prevention methods such as exercise, relaxation techniques, and avoiding triggers through lifestyle changes.
Zok is a device that a person can insert into the ear.
It simulates the tympanic membrane through inner-ear pressure modulation, which the company claims reduces pressure and tension inside an individual’s head. This should, in turn, reduce the symptoms associated with migraine and headaches.
Brand and reputation
Dr. John D. Hatch created the device, and the team at Zok comprises healthcare practitioners and innovators.
Zok’s current Trustpilot page has no reviews or ratings.
Its Better Business Bureau (BBB) page has an average customer rating of 1 out of 5 stars. It has closed five complaints in the past 3 years, most of which mention refund difficulties and the device not being effective.
Reviews on the Zok website are all highly favorable and have 5 stars. However, it is worth noting that the company may have the ability to filter negative reviews from its page.
Who is Zok suitable for?
Zok is suitable for anybody who regularly has migraine headaches or severe headaches.
The company does not state whether or not this device is suitable for children.
Below are some of the pros and cons of the Zok device.
- A person can use the device multiple times per day.
- It offers a quick and easy migraine and headache solution.
- The company operates a 100% refund policy if the device does not work.
- It also offers free same- or next-day delivery.
- The device is listed as a Class I medical device.
- It has Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval.
- The device eliminates the need for medications.
- There are some negative reviews on the company’s BBB page.
- The device could cause injury if a person inserts it too far into the ear.
- It may not work for everyone.
- Zok is only available to purchase online.
The device features a rubber bulb and an earbud. A person inserts this earbud into the ear while squeezing the bulb to deflate it. This creates an airtight seal between the Zok earbud and the ear.
A person holds this in place for 20–30 seconds before removing it from the ear. They then repeat this with the second ear. They can repeat the steps three to five times in each ear until pressure decreases.
Alternatively, a person can insert the earbud into the ear without deflating the bulb, creating an airtight seal. They can then partially deflate the bulb and further release five to 10 times in each ear.
While the device is in the ear, a person may experience a mild increase in pressure, but this should not cause added discomfort.
Individuals can use the Zok device multiple times throughout the day.
Zok is available to purchase online for around $40.
A person should take care when they insert the device. The airtight seal should be just past the entrance to the ear canal and in the same position as the person would place an audio earbud.
If the device causes any discomfort or pain, the individual should stop using Zok immediately.
The company does not note any side effects associated with the device.
A few examples of alternative drug-free migraine relief options include:
- Nerivio: This is a smartphone-operated device that a person wears on the arm. They attach it when a migraine headache begins and set the intensity level. This device releases electric signals to inhibit incoming pain. For the best results, the manufacturer recommends wearing the device for 45 minutes. It has FDA approval.
- Cefaly: A person wears this device on their forehead using a reusable self-adhesive. The device releases small electrical impulses to target the trigeminal nerve, which migraine often affects. Individuals can use this device when they initially experience a migraine episode or daily to prevent the risk of such episodes. This device also has FDA approval.
- gammaCore: This device activates the vagus nerve in the neck using gentle electric stimulation. This nerve communicates with the brain and plays an important role in regulating pain. To use the device, a person applies gel to its stimulation surfaces, positions it in the correct area of the neck, and adjusts the intensity level accordingly. The device has FDA approval.
A person should contact a doctor if they have frequent or severe migraine headaches, as they may be able to prescribe medications to relieve or prevent them.
A person should seek urgent medical attention if they or someone they are with experiences any of the
Here are some frequently asked questions relating to the Zok device.
Can Zok really relieve migraine headaches?
According to online reviews, people experience mixed results. What works for one person may not work for another. If an individual is concerned about their migraine episodes, they should consult a healthcare professional as soon as possible.
How often can a person use Zok?
Zok claims that a person can use the device as often as they need to. The company also claims that its design allows for multiple uses throughout the day.
Is the Zok device safe?
Zok claims that the device is safe, providing a person does not insert it too far into the ear.
How much does Zok cost?
Zok is available to purchase online for around $40.
Where is Zok available to purchase?
Currently, Zok is only available to purchase online directly from the company.
Zok is a Class I medical device that has FDA approval. Its design removes pressure and tension from the head and relieves the symptoms of migraine headaches.
It uses a rubber bulb and earbud mechanism that a person can use as frequently throughout the day as they need to. There are limited online reviews available for the Zok device.
A person can purchase the device from Zok’s website.