A baby boomer is somebody born during a baby boom, which in this text refers to US citizens born between 1946 and about 1965. When WWII was over, birth rates worldwide increased significantly - this explosion of new babies became known as the baby boom. This rise in population produced a considerable increase in demand for consumer goods, which stimulated the post-war economy. Baby boomers make up almost 20% of the US population and have a significant impact on the economy. They are frequently the focus of marketing, business and health campaigns.
The poll also found that a significant proportion of baby boomers who are not obese are overweight.
Experts say that if baby boomers continue with their present levels of overweight/obesity and physical inactivity, they are going to become expensive - meaning, their medical costs due to obesity-related illnesses and conditions will grow.
Obesity raises the risk of developing the following diseases and conditions:
- Some cancers
- The likelihood of a cancer recurring
- The likelihood of a cancer being an aggressive, rapidly-progressing one
- Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
- Liver and Gallbladder disease
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- High cholesterol and triglycerides
- Diabetes type 2
- Coronary heart disease
The poll, run by LifeGoesStrong.com, which belongs to the Associated Press, was carried out on June 3rd to 12th. 1,416 adults were interviewed, 1,078 of whom were born between 1946 and 1964 (baby boomers).
Below are some highlighted findings regarding baby boomers from the poll:
- 28% said the worst thing about getting older are changes that occur in their physical ability.
- 26% said the worst thing about getting older are health issues.
- Vanity, how they look in the mirror (looking older) is a minor concern.
- Being physically independent is a major concern.
- Being able to pay for medical costs is a major concern.
- Approximately 1 in every 3 is actively doing something about the effects of aging, which may include efforts on physical health and mental abilities. Of those, only 8% are making major moves to improve their looks.
- 42% feel happy about getting older. 38% have negative feelings, such as frustration, sadness or fear about getting older
- The majority are sure they will live longer than their parents did.
- 36% are obese, another 36% are overweight, and only 27% are of normal weight.
- 55% regularly dye their hair.