We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Adjustable kettlebells are strength training tools that people can use during their home workout. They allow individuals to add or remove weights to reach their fitness goals without needing much indoor space.
- Best for smaller spaces: Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell
- Best for heavier weights: Apex Adjustable Heavy Duty Kettlebell
- Best for versatile training: Ludus Imperium Adjustable Kettlebell Sandbag
- Best for lighter weight: Kamagon Water Filled Adjustable Weight Kettlebell
- Best for secure weight selection: Powerblock Adjustable Kettlebell
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried any of these products. All information presented here is purely research-based.
Kettlebells are a type of home workout equipment that people may use for strength training exercises. They are dome-shaped and typically have a handle attached to the top.
Standard kettlebells have a fixed weight and come in varying sizes. In contrast, an adjustable kettlebell is a single piece of exercise equipment that a person can add or remove weight from as desired. These kettlebells feature a leakproof bag, so individuals may add water, sand, or gravel to adjust their kettlebell’s weight.
Adjustable kettlebells are generally more cost-effective than buying sets of kettlebells. They may also suit individuals with limited space for exercise.
People can perform the same exercises with standard and adjustable kettlebells. Some of these include:
- kettlebell swings
- goblet squats
- sumo upright rows
- Russian twists
Individuals may wish to consider the following kettlebell features before making a purchase:
- Handle: Kettlebells with a wide handle may suit taller individuals or those with larger hands. They may also suit people who wish to perform exercises involving holding a kettlebell with both hands.
- Size: Adjustable kettlebells, especially those that require sand or water for adding weight, are larger than traditional variants. With this in mind, a person may prefer more space-saving exercise products.
- Weight: Beginners may buy kettlebells that come with weights ranging between 5 and 10 pounds (lb). Those who exercise regularly may prefer a kettlebell with 30–40 lb of weight.
There are many adjustable kettlebells available for purchase. Below are some options that are suitable for people to use at home.
Best for smaller spaces
|Weight range||8–40 lb|
|Weight increments||8, 12, 20, 25, 35, and 40 lb|
This adjustable kettlebell may suit those with limited home exercise space. According to Bowflex, this product can do the job of six kettlebells.
Using the dial to add or remove weights, a person can adjust the kettlebell with six settings to make it weigh between 8 and 40 lb.
Individuals may wish to view the kettlebell exercise videos on Bowflex’s website to learn more about the type of routines they can perform.
The Bowflex SelectTech 840 has the following dimensions:
- width: 8.81 inches (in)
- depth: 7 in
- height: 12.52 in
At the time of publishing, the Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell costs $149.
Best for heavier weights
|Weight range||20–40 lb|
|Weight increments||2.5, 5, and 10 lb|
The Apex Adjustable Heavy Duty Kettlebell comes with:
- a 15-lb weighted handle
- four nonweighted removable spacer disks
- a 5-lb base
- a U-bar handle for a better grip that allows for large movements
A person can replace the removable spacer disks with 2.5, 5, or 10 lb weights, meaning they can adjust the weight of the kettlebell between 20 and 50 lb.
At the time of publishing, the Apex Adjustable Heavy Duty Kettlebell costs $53.70.
Best for versatile training
|Weight range||up to 45 lb|
This kettlebell comes with an inner bag that holds up to 45 lb of sand. The sandbag includes a built-in filler bag, additional zipper, and hook-and-loop closure to ensure the sand stays fully contained and does not leak during workouts.
Some of the exercises that people may perform with this kettlebell sandbag include:
In addition, individuals can throw and slam this product.
At the time of publishing, the Ludus Imperium Adjustable Kettlebell Sandbag had a list price of around $40.
Best for lighter weight
|Weight range||2–13 lb|
Kamagon’s adjustable kettlebell comes with two soft handles offering multiple grip options. People using this equipment may be able to perform different exercises such as Russian twists and overhead presses.
Individuals can add or remove water to adjust the weight from 2 to 13 lb.
Additionally, these kettlebells have a polyvinyl chloride construction, which helps minimize potential damage to flooring, unlike heavier iron weights.
At the time of publishing, the Kamagon Water Filled Adjustable Weight Kettlebell had a list price of around $30.
Best for secure weight selection
|Weight range||18–35 lb|
|Weight increments||18, 22, 26, and 35 lb|
This Powerblock kettlebell features a 32-millimeter diameter handle and four settings that allow a person to adjust its weight range to between 18 and 35 lb.
It also features a steel selection pin with a magnetic lock, which individuals use to select their desired weight.
Its dimensions are:
- length: 5.75 in
- width: 4.25 in
- height: 10 in
At the time of publishing, the Powerblock Adjustable Kettlebell costs $169.
People who wish to start exercising with adjustable kettlebells need to consider the following safety tips:
- Start slowly: Individuals who do not exercise regularly may want to start with very light weights and increase them gradually. This may prevent muscle strain, pain, and soreness.
- Breathe normally: People should breathe normally during strength training exercises, as this practice may prevent hernias.
- Stop if there is sudden pain: Individuals who feel sudden or sharp pain during their workout should stop immediately and seek medical advice from a trusted healthcare professional.
- Consult with a fitness trainer: Those interested in starting kettlebell training may consult a fitness trainer on weights and techniques.
The World Health Organization (WHO) says that people who do not partake in regular exercise may have a
Additionally, BreastCancer.org claims strength exercises may have the following benefits:
- strengthening the bones
- improving balance and posture
- fixing muscle imbalance or weakness after breast cancer surgery
Additionally, a recent study found that over 80% of adults do not engage in muscle-strengthening activities. According to the researchers, these exercises may help prevent sarcopenia, a health condition that causes a decline in muscle mass or function.
According to health experts, there are several adjustable kettlebell alternatives for muscle-strengthening exercises. These include:
- weight lifting
- exercises using resistance bands
- bodyweight exercises such as pullups and pushups
Adjustable kettlebells may be the best option for people who wish to work out at home with limited space. Additionally, strength exercises can improve muscle flexibility, reduce the chance of specific health conditions, and help strengthen bones.
Before making a purchase, a person may wish to explore different manufacturers and choose a kettlebell that best suits their needs.
However, individuals should speak with a doctor before practicing muscle-strengthening exercises if they have an underlying health condition.