We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Greens powders are dietary supplements made up of fruits and vegetables. They contain vitamins and minerals and may be a convenient way for individuals to increase their daily nutrition intake.
- Best overall: Garden of Life Raw Organic Perfect Food Green Superfood | Skip to review
- Best gluten-free: Amazing Grass Greens Blend | Skip to review
- Best for flavor choice: Bloom Greens and Superfoods | Skip to review
- Best with probiotics: Vibrant Health Green Vibrance | Skip to review
- Best third-party tested: AG1 | Skip to review
Below, we list some of the best greens powders available to purchase. All of these below products contain a blend of fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and minerals.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best overall: Garden of Life Raw Organic Perfect Food Green Superfood
- Price: around $42-$58
- Servings per container: 15, 30, or 60
- Serving size: 1 level scoop (6.9 grams)
- Flavors: Original, apple, chocolate.
Garden of Life’s greens powder uses only whole foods and USDA-certified organic ingredients. It is suitable for vegans and does not contain gluten. The company states they can trace the ingredients they use back to the seed, meaning they can ensure they do not contain harsh chemicals or other unwanted ingredients.
It is available in original, chocolate, and apple flavors.
A serving of this product contains over 50% of a person’s daily intake of vitamin K. This may be beneficial in most cases, but some may need to consult their doctor first as high levels of vitamin K can interact with certain medications. This includes blood thinners, antibiotics, and drugs for cancer, seizures, and cholesterol.
The formula is also free from GMOs, filler ingredients, artificial sweeteners, flavors, and colors.
- the formula is free from GMOs
- product does not contain artificial sweeteners, flavors, and colors
- gluten-free and suitable for vegans
- those on blood thinners, antibiotics and medications for cancer, seizures, and cholesterol should consult their doctor before taking this product
- reviews report a very bad taste
- some people found it to be expensive compared to other products
Best gluten-free: Amazing Grass Greens Blend
- Price: around $22-$65
- Servings per container: 15, 30, 60, or 100
- Serving size: 1 scoop (8 grams)
- Flavors: Original or Chocolate
Amazing Grass Greens Blend is reportedly gluten-free and suitable for vegans. It is also non-GMO, organic, and contains no added sugar.
One can purchase a container with 15, 30, 60, or 100 servings.
The company says a serving size is one scoop, which a person can add to a drink, use in a bake, or blend into a smoothie.
- made with organic ingredients and is suitable for vegans
- contains no added sugar
- some reviewers reported an upset stomach after taking this product
- people have stated that the taste is very bad
Best for flavor choice: Bloom Greens and Superfoods
- Price: around $35-$75
- Servings per container: 15, 30, or 60
- Serving size: 1 scoop (6.03 grams)
- Flavors: Original, berry, citrus, coconut, mango, or strawberry kiwi.
Bloom’s greens powder is available in six different fruity flavors. One can purchase a container with 15, 30, or 60 servings.
A serving size is one scoop, which a person can add to a drink.
The formula is non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, keto-friendly, and suitable for vegans.
- this product is dairy-free, gluten-free and contains no GMOs
- available in six different flavors
- reviews report that the taste is very bad
- price is expensive compared to other similar products
Best with probiotics: Vibrant Health Green Vibrance
- Price: around $34-100
- Servings per container: 15, 30, 60, or 83
- Serving size: 1 scoop (11 grams)
- Flavors: unflavored
Vibrant Health claims this greens powder contains 25 billion CFU probiotics, prebiotics, and digestive enzymes with multiple blends of concentrated whole foods.
The product is unflavored.
It is free from gluten, soy, and dairy. The product is suitable for vegans.
- this greens powder also contains probiotics which may be beneficial to digestive health
- customers report higher energy levels after using this product
- reviews report a very short expiry date window
- some customers reported that the texture was chunky and did not dissolve properly when mixed
Best third-party tested: AG1
- Price: from $79
- Servings per container: 30
- Serving size: 1 scoop (12 grams)
- Flavors: unflavored
Each batch of AG1 is NSF-certified for sport. This third-party authority tests each batch to confirm that the product contains what is on the label and does not contain ingredients that sports organizations ban.
The manufacturers of this product operate in a Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) facility. This is an Australian organization that ensures safety in all of its laboratories.
However, some ingredients in this formula, such as rose hip, alfalfa, and rhodiola, may not be suitable for some people taking certain medications.
The product suits vegans and those following a paleo or keto diet.
It is free from gluten, dairy, peanuts, and eggs.
- suitable for people on vegan, keto, or paleo diets
- subscription service available for convenience
- certain ingredients including rose hip and alfalfa may negatively react with medication; it is advised to speak with a medical professional before taking this product
- contains lecithin which is derived from soy
Here, we compare the above greens powder products side by side.
|Servings per container
|Garden of Life
|15, 30, or 60
|1 scoop (6.9g)
|15, 30, 60, or 100
|1 scoop (8g)
|15, 30, or 60
|1 scoop (6.03g)
• strawberry kiwi
|15, 30, 60, or 83
|1 scoop (11g)
|1 scoop (12g)
Greens powder is a type of dietary supplement made up of a blend of fruits, vegetables, minerals, and vitamins. They are a convenient way for individuals to increase their nutritional intake.
Greens powders usually contain leafy greens, grasses, antioxidant-rich fruits, seaweed, nutritional extracts, and herbs. Occasionally, they may also contain probiotics or prebiotics.
Manufacturers blend this formula into a powder, which a person usually consumes by mixing 1 scoop with water, a smoothie, or fruit juice. Some manufacturers place the powder into capsules.
Most powders are free from gluten and suitable for vegans.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), only about
According to a
Greens powders may be best for those struggling to get the recommended daily number fruit and vegetable servings.
Alternatively, individuals who may not like the taste of fruits and vegetables may benefit from greens powder.
Greens powder potentially helps to resolve digestion issues, such as bloating and constipation. Therefore, it may be suitable for those with these digestive problems. However, there is limited research to suggest that this works.
A person should consider the following factors when choosing a greens powder:
- Nutrients and ingredients: A person should check what nutrients and how many are in the formula. This is particularly essential for individuals who are already taking other health supplements as a person should not exceed their daily dose of any vitamins or minerals. Additionally, some products may contain ingredients that may interact with certain medications. If a person is unsure, they should consult with a healthcare professional.
- Third-party testing: Dietary supplements do not undergo regulation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Therefore, a person should check the product is third-party tested to ensure the powder is safe for consumption.
- Price: Greens powders can be expensive. A person should consider their budget before choosing a particular brand. A person may be able to work out the product that is the best value for money by working out the cost per serving. Additionally, some companies offer a subscribe and save option.
- Flavors: Many greens powders are original or unflavored. However, some brands offer flavored options for those who do not like the taste or plan to take the powder with water.
- Claims: Many manufacturers make health claims that may not be true. A person should look for a company that backs these claims up with scientific evidence. People should avoid companies making extreme claims that sound too good to be true.
Medical News Today’s Methodology
Medical News Today chooses products that meet the following criteria:
- Ingredients: MNT chooses products containing safe and high-quality ingredients that are clearly labeled. They should also confirm they are free from pesticides, heavy metals, and mold.
- Dosage: MNT chooses products that must clearly state the supplement dosage.
- Serving size: MNT selects products in which manufacturers recommend a safe dosage.
- Third-party testing: MNT chooses products that must undergo third-party testing for contaminants by an ISO 17025-compliant laboratory.
Available certificate of analysis:MNT chooses companies that demonstrate transparency and share a product’s certificate of analysis (COA) following receipt of its third-party lab results.
There are a few alternatives to greens powders. Some of these options include:
- Diet adjustments: People can adjust their diet to get enough daily fruits and vegetables.
- Nutritionist advice: People may consult with a nutritionist who can help advise how to get more fruits and vegetables into their diet.
- Green smoothies: A green smoothie consists of blended fruits and vegetables a person can make at home. It can include anything a person would like, but typically, it uses spinach, apples, and bananas over a water base. This may be a cheaper alternative to greens powder.
There is limited recent research into greens powders and their health benefits and downfalls.
Although there is limited research, green powders contain certain ingredients and nutrients which evidence shows is beneficial to health.
Vitamins A and C, which tend to be present in high quantities in greens powders, can help to support the immune system.
A 2018 review states that vitamin A is anti-inflammatory and may help to treat a variety of infectious diseases due to its role in maintaining the immune system. Another 2018 review states similar benefits for vitamin C, saying it plays a vital role in regulating the immune system.
Additionally, vitamins B and C, iron, magnesium and zinc, can help to improve energy levels and reduce fatigue.
Antioxidants, such as vitamins C and E, help to prevent chronic diseases, including diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular diseases.
Some greens powders also contain probiotics. According to
There is limited research into green powders and how they may benefit an individual. Many manufacturers make health claims that they cannot necessarily back up with scientific research.
The FDA does not regulate dietary supplements, so the product may contain heavy metals, contaminants, or other unsafe ingredients. A person should not purchase from a company that does not use third-party testing.
In some cases, green powders may contain ingredients or levels of ingredients that are not safe for everyone. For example, those who are pregnant or breastfeeding, people on certain medications, or those taking other health supplements may need to check the ingredients list carefully or consult a healthcare provider.
Due to some high levels of nutrients in many greens powders, individuals are more at risk of exceeding the daily dose of certain vitamins and minerals.
Another important drawback of green powders is the lack of fiber. Eating whole fruits and vegetables helps a person meet their daily fiber needs. According to
While some greens powder products contain fiber, it is usually only about 2-3 g per serving.
In this section, we answer some frequently asked questions about greens powders.
What is the best greens powder on the market today?
The best greens powder will vary between individuals. However, providing a greens powder is third party tested, the product should be safe for consumption. All the products listed above are safe and may have some health benefits.
Are powdered greens worth it?
Some individuals may find greens powder to be the best way to increase their intake of vitamins and minerals.
However, this is costly, and some may find it better to create green smoothies themselves or simply adapt their diet.
Is drinking greens powder good for you?
Although research into greens powder is limited, these products usually contain a high level of vitamins and minerals, which are shown to have health benefits. This includes vitamins A, B, C, D, and E and iron, magnesium, zinc, and antioxidants.
Therefore, some people may experience health benefits from consuming powdered greens.
What super greens are best?
One green superfood found in all these green powders is leafy greens, such as spinach and kale. These foods contain a high level of vitamins, minerals, and fiber with limited calories.
Green powders may be a convenient way for individuals lacking fruits and vegetables to ingest vital vitamins and minerals.
There is limited evidence to suggest how beneficial these green powders are. However, they contain various ingredients that have been scientifically proven that may have health benefits.
Occasionally, there may be ingredients within the product that a person should avoid. If unsure, a person should consult with a healthcare professional.
The powders are dietary supplements, so the FDA does not regulate them. Therefore, a person should check that the product undergoes third-party testing before purchasing.