We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission Here’s our process.
Medical News Today only shows you brands and products that we stand behind.Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:
- Evaluate ingredients and composition: Do they have the potential to cause harm?
- Fact-check all health claims: Do they align with the current body of scientific evidence?
- Assess the brand: Does it operate with integrity and adhere to industry best practices?
Sleep Number offers smart mattresses, which contain technology to help measure and improve sleep. People can adjust firmness or temperature automatically through an app or manually.
A quick look at Sleep Number mattresses
- Best for lower mattress heights: Sleep Number Classic Mattresses
- Best for increased pressure point relief: Sleep Number Performance Mattresses
- Best for cooling features: Sleep Number Innovation Mattresses
- Best memory foam: Sleep Number Memory Foam Mattresses
Research into the benefits and uses of smart beds is ongoing. However, there is
This article looks at the Sleep Number brand and the types of mattresses it offers.
The Sleep Number Corporation, based in Minneapolis, MN, manufactures Sleep Number beds in the United States. The company started life as the Select Comfort Corporation in 1987.
The main way that people can purchase a Sleep Number bed is through a Sleep Number store, of which there are more than 570 across all 50 states.
Regularly ranked highest in customer satisfaction with mattresses by J. D. Power, Sleep Number became an official Sleep + Wellness partner of the National Football League in 2018.
The company also offers consultations with “sleep professionals,” who can provide helpful guidance on how to sleep better.
According to company research, compared with those who slept on traditional innerspring mattresses, people who used a Sleep Number bed fell asleep faster, slept more deeply, had fewer sleep disturbances, and had more relief from back pain. However, no objective research supports these findings.
The following are some pros and cons of Sleep Number beds.
- They may suit different sleep preferences: Sleep Number beds are adjustable, so users can adapt them to their needs and sleep styles. The dual adjustability feature allows for independent adjustments of each side of the bed.
- They provide sleep data: People may enjoy having and benefit from the various measurements and statistics that a Sleep Number bed can provide through the SleepIQ software. This information can help inform their sleep and health decisions.
- They are long-lasting: Sleep Number claims that it designs its mattresses to last for 15 years or longer, while most standard mattresses last for around 8–10 years.
- They have a high cost: The Sleep Number mattresses are available for a range of prices, but they tend to cost more than non-smart mattresses overall. Additional features add to the overall cost, as do delivery and setup.
- They may be uncomfortable for couples: Because of the dual adjustability features, the beds are divided into two sections. This may cause discomfort for couples sharing a bed.
- They rely on technology: People may dislike the fact that smart beds rely on technology that tracks and gathers users’ data. However, people can alter privacy settings. There may also be issues with technology not working correctly, preventing the bed from adjusting or measuring sleep data.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Best for lower mattress heights:
Sleep Number Classic Mattresses
- Price range: $699–2,699
- Mattress height: 8–9 inches (in)
- Comfort layers: 2–3 in
This range includes the Sleep Number 360 c2 Smart Bed and the Sleep Number 360 c4 Smart Bed.
Features include dual adjustability, meaning that firmness and comfort levels for both sides are adaptable.
The responsive air technology allows the mattress to adjust its firmness as a person moves during their sleep.
SleepIQ technology collects data and provides information about the quality of a person’s sleep each night.
The Sleep Number 360 c4 Smart Bed has all of the Sleep Number bed key characteristics, plus a 3-inch (in) comfort layer.
Best for increased pressure point relief:
Sleep Number Performance Mattresses
- Price range: $2,149–4,399
- Mattress height: 10–11 in
- Comfort layers: 4–5 in
Beds in this series have the classic Sleep Number bed features, plus comfort layers to provide pressure point relief.
The mattresses in this range include:
- the Sleep Number 360 p5 Smart Bed
- the Sleep Number 360 p6 Smart Bed, which increases the comfort layer to 5 in
- the Sleep Number 360 pSE Special Edition Smart Bed, which adds cooling features
This range of mattresses may suit people who often wake up with aches and pains.
Best for cooling features:
Sleep Number Innovation Mattresses
- Price range: $3,499–7,299
- Mattress height: 12–13 in
- Comfort layers: 6–7 in
This series takes the key characteristics of a Sleep Number bed and the pressure relief ability of the Performance series and adds cooling features that may benefit people who tend to get very hot at night.
The smart fabric is breathable, and the mattress absorbs heat to help prevent sleepers from getting too hot, which may impact sleep quality.
This series includes:
- the Sleep Number 360 i8 Smart Bed
- the Sleep Number 360 i10 Smart Bed,which has a 7-in comfort layer and increased support
- the Sleep Number 360 iLE Limited Edition Smart Bed, which has additional cooling features
Best memory foam:
Sleep Number Memory Foam Mattresses
- Price range: $3,449–3,724
- Mattress height: 11 in
- Comfort layers: 5 in
This series currently has one mattress: the Sleep Number 360 m7 Smart Bed.
This mattress uses cooling memory foam, which provides temperature balancing benefits while helping relieve pressure points.
Memory foam provides a high level of support and comfort, as it adapts to the shape of the user without sinking.
The below table shows what features each Sleep Number bed series has:
|Classic series||Performance series||Innovation series||Memory Foam series|
|Responsive air technology||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Contouring sleep surface||✓||✓||✕||✕|
|Enhanced pressure relief||✕||✓||✓||✕|
|Dynamic pressure relief||✕||✕||✕||✓|
Sleep Number beds contain technology that measures a person’s sleep data, including body position and temperature.
Sleep Number beds allow for automatic or manual customization of different sides of the mattress.
Generally, Sleep Number beds have the following key characteristics:
- Dual adjustability: This is the ability to set independent comfort and firmness levels on both sides of the bed.
- Responsive air technology: This means that it responds to individual movement and provides motion isolation.
- SleepIQ: This means that customers can use a smartphone app to review the data the mattress collects about their sleep patterns using the SleepIQ software on smart devices.
Sleep Number holds accreditation with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and the organization gives the company an A+ grade. Customers give Sleep Number an average rating of 4.55 out of 5 stars.
However, on Trustpilot, customers give the company an average of 1.4 out of 5 stars.
Positive reviews on the BBB state that the beds are of high quality and the customer service is excellent.
Some people say that they did not experience the level of contouring salespeople advertised, but were overall happy with the comfort level.
Those who left more negative reviews on both websites state that the customer service was unhelpful, with people waiting several weeks for replacement parts. Others say that they paid for products that were on backorder with no communication as to when the products would be available.
The Sleep Number bed may have been one of the first smart beds on the market, but it is not the only one.
The following table compares Sleep Number with some of its competitors.
|Price range||Mattress height||Features|
|Sleep Number||$699–7,299||8–13 in||• dual adjustability|
• responsive air technology
• sleepIQ technology
• contouring sleep surface
• enhanced pressure relief
• temperature balancing
• smart fabric
• dynamic pressure relief
|ReST||$3,499–9,498||13 in||• three zones of support|
• 4-in premium memory foam layer
• automatic adjustments
• sleep quality monitor
• modular design
|Personal Comfort||$1,099.99–6,999.99||8–15 in||• cooling comfort layers|
• breathable comfort layers
• optional sleep tracking
|The Pod||$3,095–3,795||11 in||• automatic heating and cooling|
• vibrating wake alarm
• sleep tracking
Below are some common questions about this brand
Can a Sleep Number bed improve sleep quality?
There is no guarantee that using a Sleep Number bed can improve sleep quality. However, some people may find that adjusting different features of their mattress, alongside tracking their sleep statistics, may help manage poor sleep patterns and behaviors.
What devices or apps can a Sleep Number bed connect with?
The SleepIQ app can connect and share health information with a Fitbit or the MapMyFitness app about workouts and fitness activities. People can also connect to Apple Health to share sleep start and end times.
SleepIQ cannot connect with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, or the Nest Learning Thermostat.
Learn more about SleepIQ connectivity here.
Is there a warranty?
Each Sleep Number bed comes with a 15-year limited warranty. The details of the warranty vary by mattress model. Find out more here.
Is there a way to test Sleep Number beds?
Sleep Number stores across the U.S. allow people to test different models before making a purchase. After purchase, each Sleep Number bed comes with a 100-night trial period.
Is delivery free?
Free delivery is available for mattress and base bundles. Otherwise, Sleep Number provides a premium delivery and setup service that costs $199. This fee is nonrefundable.
The premium service includes mattress delivery on a date of the customer’s choice, bed setup, removal of old mattresses for recycling, and disposal of all packaging.
Learn more about delivery and setup here.
How much should I pay for a Sleep Number bed?
Sleep Number beds have list prices ranging from $699–7,299.
However, these mattresses may go on sale throughout the year.
Customization is a popular and powerful marketing trend in the mattress industry. Sleep Number beds make it possible for people to set the degree of firmness and comfort they prefer.
Sleep Number beds are also good examples of smart beds. Smart beds take customization options to the next level, as they link the ability to change temperature, firmness, or both to real-time data collection.