The best bread for people with acid reflux is one that contains whole wheat or other whole grains. Whole grains are rich in fiber and help with digestion, which may reduce heartburn.
Whole grain breads may contain any of the following ingredients:
There are many different types of whole grain bread a person can choose from.
In this article, we discuss some of the best breads for acid reflux, as well as other foods that may help people with the condition.
To reduce symptoms of acid reflux, a person can include in their diet the following types of bread:
- French bread
- hamburger buns
- hard or plain rolls
- melba toast
- English muffins
A person with acid reflux should always choose a whole grain version of bread where possible rather than opting for bread containing refined flour.
The International Foundation for Gastrointestinal Disorders (IFFGD) state that people with acid reflux can benefit from incorporating whole grains in their diet.
The authors of the study also note that people who mostly eat high fiber bread may halve their risk of experiencing symptoms, compared with those who mostly eat low fiber bread.
People with acid reflux should opt for whole grain bread over bread containing refined flours, such as white bread.
However, there are many different types of whole grain bread available.
Here, we list some healthy options:
100% whole wheat bread
Whole wheat bread and other whole grains contain a number of healthy nutrients in addition to fiber. These include several B vitamins, as well as magnesium, selenium, and iron, according to the
Bread with a “wheat bread” label is not always whole grain bread. Although it may contain some whole wheat flour, its primary ingredient is white flour.
To find a whole grain wheat bread, it is advisable to look for a “100% whole wheat bread” label. In the ingredients section of the label, whole wheat flour should be first on the list.
100% whole grain bread
A 100% whole grain bread is a particularly healthy choice for people with acid reflux.
Rather than containing only whole wheat, it can include other whole grains, so it provides a broader spectrum of nutrients.
It is also worth noting that breads with a “seven grain” or “multigrain” label are not necessarily whole grain.
As with whole wheat bread, the main ingredients on the label should be some type of whole grain flour, such as:
- whole millet flour
- whole corn flour
- whole brown rice flour
Whole grain oatmeal bread
The first ingredient on the label of whole grain oatmeal bread will likely be whole wheat flour. However, the list will include oats.
Sprouted whole grain bread
The term “sprouted seeds” refers to seeds that are in the earliest stage of growth, having just sprouted.
For these reasons, the authors of the review conclude that sprouted grains are functional foods, meaning they offer health benefits beyond providing basic nutrients.
When shopping for sprouted whole grain bread, a person should check that the first ingredient on the label is a sprouted whole grain flour, such as sprouted whole wheat flour.
Bread appearance and labels may mislead shoppers who are looking for whole grain products.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics explain that just because bread looks brown or dark does not necessarily mean it is whole grain.
Molasses or other ingredients may be responsible for the dark color.
Instead, a person should look for the Whole Grain Stamp, which is a packaging symbol on thousands of products, according to the Whole Grain Council.
If a person has tried whole grain bread, and it does not ease their acid reflux symptoms, they should stop eating it. The acid reflux may result from a person eating too many carbohydrates, or they could have a gluten intolerance.
According to a 2010 study, a person with celiac disease may experience acid reflux. Therefore, if they continually notice that bread and other sources of gluten give them acid reflux, they should contact their doctor.
The IFFGD state that, in order to reduce acid reflux, a person should eat a nutritious diet, which will include:
- Fruit: A person should opt for non-citrus fruits, such as bananas, melons, apples, and pears.
- Vegetables: Any vegetable that does not irritate the stomach will be beneficial. Therefore, a person with the condition should avoid tomatoes and onions.
- Complex carbohydrates: In addition to whole grains, a person can eat oatmeal, brown rice, and barley, which are sources of complex carbohydrates.
- Lean proteins: A person can add to their diet lean proteins, such as eggs and lean meats. It is better to broil or bake lean meats rather than fry them.
- Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats: Foods containing these fats include olives, nuts, and oily fish.
The Mediterranean diet includes a high intake of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and unsaturated fats.
According to the IFFGD, products that can trigger acid reflux include:
Further types of treatment for acid reflux include at-home remedies and medical options.
While diet is important in helping manage acid reflux, doctors also suggest making lifestyle changes and applying various strategies.
The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology recommend:
- quitting smoking
- reaching or maintaining a moderate weight
- elevating the head of the bed by 6–8 inches
- remaining in an upright position for 2–3 hours after a meal
- avoiding heavy meals before bedtime
- eating moderately sized meals
When lifestyle changes and other strategies do not prove effective, doctors may recommend the
- Over-the-counter antacids: Doctors recommend these medications for mild symptoms.
- H2 blockers: These drugs lower the amount of stomach acid.
- Proton pump inhibitors: An option for long-term acid reflux, these medicines are more effective at reducing stomach acid levels than H2 blockers.
- Surgery: Doctors may recommend one of several surgical procedures, including:
- fundoplication, which involves wrapping part of the stomach around the esophagus, or food pipe, and sewing it in place
- endoscopy, which can involve using a tube with a light and camera to enter the stomach and sew the top of it around the lower esophageal sphincter
- bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass surgery
A person looking for the best bread for acid reflux may choose from a variety of whole grain breads. These foods are rich in dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Whole grain bread should be part of a healthy diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats.
Other strategies and lifestyle changes, such as quitting smoking and eating dinner early in the evening, may also help alleviate acid reflux.
When these measures do not result in adequate relief, doctors may prescribe medications or recommend surgery.