We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a natural compound that may help reduce some factors in high blood pressure, such as stress, anxiety, and poor sleep quality.
This article explores whether CBD can help with high blood pressure, or hypertension, any potential health benefits and risks, which products are available, and some alternatives to CBD.
The Cannabis sativa plant, which people may refer to as marijuana or hemp, contains two main active ingredients, cannabidiol (CBD) and Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
THC has psychoactive properties, so people may experience euphoria. However, CBD, which comes from the hemp form of C. sativa, only contains small amounts of THC.
Is CBD legal? Hemp-derived CBD products with less than 0.3% THC are legal federally but still illegal under some state laws. Cannabis-derived CBD products, on the other hand, are illegal federally but legal under some state laws. Check local legislation, especially when traveling. Also, keep in mind that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved nonprescription CBD products, which may be inaccurately labeled.
Blood pressure is the pressure that the blood exerts against the walls of the arteries. Arteries carry blood from the heart to other parts of the body.
A person may not know that they have hypertension because those who have it do
If a person does not receive diagnosis and treatment, hypertension may lead to other health conditions, such as:
There is some evidence to suggest that CBD may help lower blood pressure.
Doctors may prescribe medications for people with high blood pressure. If an individual is taking blood pressure medications and uses CBD products, it is important they let their doctor know.
What does the research say?
Some research studies indicate that CBD products may help with lowering blood pressure.
A 2020 study found that CBD may have vasodilatory effects in human and rat arteries. The authors suggest that CBD may improve flow because it widens blood vessels.
According to the American Institute of Stress, stress may cause blood pressure to rise. This is due to the heart pumping faster and stress hormones constricting the blood vessels.
However, researchers need to conduct more studies to determine the effect of CBD on cardiovascular conditions.
CBD should not be used to replace prescribed high blood pressure medications. A doctor should be consulted if someone taking this medication chooses to add CBD to their treatment plan.
Risks of CBD
- interactions with other medications
- drowsiness or sedation, if the individual is taking medications that treat anxiety, stress, or sleep disorders
- an increased risk of diarrhea and loss of appetite
- mood changes, such as irritability and agitation
- liver injury
- low blood pressure
CBD and pregnancy
There is not enough research into how CBD may affect a developing fetus. However, there is
However, one 2021 study investigating the effects of CBD in pregnant mice found that daily doses of CBD were unlikely to accumulate in the mice and their fetuses.
There needs to be more research to investigate the potential risks of CBD use during pregnancy.
Medical News Today chooses products that meet the following criteria:
- Ingredients: Products must contain safe and high-quality ingredients, and their labels must state all ingredients clearly. They should also confirm they are free from pesticides, heavy metals, and mold.
- Dosage: Products must clearly state the CBD dosage.
- Serving size: Manufacturers must suggest a safe serving size.
- Third-party labs: Products must undergo third-party testing for contaminants by an ISO 17025-compliant laboratory.
- Available certificate of analysis: The company must demonstrate transparency and share a product’s certificate of analysis (COA) following receipt of its third-party lab results.
There are various CBD products that may suit people with hypertension, including gummies, tinctures or drops, and capsules. They can either be full-spectrum or broad-spectrum CBD.
Full-spectrum products consist of naturally occurring cannabis plant extracts and
It is important to check a product’s label before making a purchase.
Learn more about broad-spectrum CBD here.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Best oil: Charlotte’s Web CBD Oil
|CBD content||510 mg|
|CBD type||full spectrum|
Charlotte’s Web CBD Oil contains 17 milligrams (mg) of CBD per 1-milliliter (ml) serving.
The company suggests storing the product at room temperature away from light.
It is available in mint chocolate, lemon twist, orange blossom, and olive oil flavors. Individuals who are sensitive to flavors can mix the oil into their favorite food or drink.
People with hypertension may consider using Charlotte’s Web CBD Oil. The company states that this product may help with:
- sleep quality
- stressful situations
- exercise-induced inflammation
Use code “HEALTH20” for 20% off.
Best gummies: Joy Organics CBD Gummies
|CBD content||300 mg|
|CBD type||broad spectrum|
Joy Organics CBD Gummies are vegan and contain 10 mg of broad-spectrum CBD per gummy.
According to laboratory reports, the company states that its gummies are free of THC, so people will not experience euphoria.
This product comes in strawberry lemonade and green apple flavors.
The company states that these gummies may:
- help with managing stress levels
- provide sleep support
- reduce exercise-induced inflammation
People can use these gummies in the morning, afternoon, or evening.
Use code “healthcbd” for 15% off.
Best tincture: Joy Organics Organic CBD Tincture
|CBD content||450 mg|
|CBD type||broad spectrum|
This tincture comes in different concentrations and does not contain any flavors, artificial colors, or alcohol.
According to Joy Organics, this product may:
- support physical and mental health
- promote a sense of calm
- help in stressful situations
The company states that this product contains less than 0.3% THC and is suitable for use day or night.
Use code “healthcbd” for 15% off.
Best capsules: NuLeaf Full Spectrum CBD Capsules
|CBD content||900 mg|
|CBD type||full spectrum|
This product contains 15 mg of CBD per capsule.
The brand states that its organic hemp is grown in Colorado and that it controls the entire process from farming to production.
Reviewers note that this product has helped relieve their anxiety and stress symptoms. Some also mentioned improved sleep and less pain.
This product comes in three different sizes: 300 mg, 900 mg, and 1,800 mg. A person can buy a pack of multiple bottles for a discounted total price.
CBD is an
Research shows CBD can have the following effects:
- fighting inflammation
- providing pain relief
- reducing anxiety symptoms
- preventing convulsions
- reducing symptoms of psychotic disorders
One study of a small group of nine healthy volunteers found that a single dose of CBD
It is important to note that some people may experience side effects, and CBD can interact with some medications. A person should speak to their doctor before using CBD products.
Learn more about managing chronic pain with CBD here.
Some other natural ways to lower blood pressure include:
- Exercising regularly: The
American Heart Association (AHA)states that regular physical activity may help control high blood pressure and strengthen the heart.
- Learning to deal with stress: Although researchers are still examining the link between stress and hypertension, the
AHAnotes that people who experience stress may be more likely to have a less healthy diet and drink more alcohol. These dietary factors can increase the risk of high blood pressure.
- Losing weight, if applicable: A
2016 studyfound that people with overweight may have an increased risk of high blood pressure.
- Eating dark chocolate: A
2017 systematic reviewsuggested that eating dark chocolate may cause a small, short-term decrease in a healthy adult’s blood pressure. However, researchers need to conduct more studies to investigate this link.
- Reducing sodium intake: A
2019 studylinked a higher salt intake with high blood pressure and heart disease. People may wish to check nutritional labels for sodium content before consuming a product.
There is no particular type of CBD for lowering blood pressure; further research into the effects of CBD is necessary.
However, the blood absorbs some types of CBD faster than others. How people consume CBD has a significant effect on how quickly the body absorbs it:
- Capsules and gummies pass through the digestive tract and take 30 minutes to 1 hour to absorb.
- CBD oils, tinctures, and sprays administered under the tongue typically work in 15-20 minutes.
- CBD creams and ointments primarily address localized pain, such as swelling or sore muscles, so they would not be an effective choice for people seeking to manage blood pressure.
To find good quality CBD for high blood pressure, look for information on:
- Independent third-party lab testing: Check that independent labs have reviewed the products to make sure they correctly state the CBD and THC content and do not contain high levels of pollutants. Some companies will post their certificates of analysis, or COAs, on their websites.
- Extraction method: Manufacturers tend to use high-pressure carbon dioxide gas, chemical solvents, or both to remove CBD from plants. Choosing CBD produced without chemical solvents may be preferable.
- Where it was grown: Some states, such as Colorado, Oregon, and Kentucky, have active programs supporting and testing hemp, which can help people access more information and better quality products.
- THC content: THC is the compound in cannabis that makes people feel ‘high,’ and CBD products containing more than 0.3 percent THC have a more complicated legal status. People who want to avoid any chance of intoxication or inter-state purchase problems may prefer products made with lower concentrations of THC. CBD isolate products should not contain any THC.
Some over-the-counter products contain CBD, as well as
- interactions with other medications a person may be taking
- damage to the liver
- potential risks to people who are pregnant or breastfeeding
- side effects such as drowsiness, gastrointestinal problems, and mood changes
To use CBD safely, start with a small dosage. Increase the dosage gradually until achieving the desired effect while remaining alert for signs of side effects.
A person should discuss CBD with their doctor before using it.
People with hypertension do not usually have any symptoms, so those with a higher risk may need regular screening.
Healthcare professionals can suggest a treatment plan to help prevent or treat hypertension. For example, they may prescribe medications to help treat hypertension.
A person should consult a doctor before taking any CBD products, as the interaction between these products and certain medications can cause serious side effects.
People who experience side effects from CBD products should cease use and seek medical help immediately.
Below are some of the most common questions and answers about CBD.
What does CBD do to the brain?
CBD stimulates the endocannabinoid system throughout the body and other receptors, such as serotonin receptors.
However, according to the
Can you get addicted to CBD?
What is the difference between CBD and THC?
CBD and THC are phytocannabinoids, chemical messengers found naturally in the cannabis plant. One of the most important differences is that CBD is not an intoxicating compound, but THC is, and drug tests can identify it.
Hypertension does not usually cause any symptoms. A person might not know that they have it unless they receive a diagnosis.
There are various medical treatments available. There is also evidence to suggest that products containing CBD may help, but it high blood pressure medication should not be discontinued without consulting a doctor.
A person who uses blood pressure medications should also consult a doctor before using any CBD products.