We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Is CBD legal?The 2018 Farm Bill removed hemp from the legal definition of marijuana in the Controlled Substances Act. This made some hemp-derived CBD products with less than 0.3 percent THC federally legal. However, CBD products containing more than 0.3 percent THC still fall under the legal definition of marijuana, making them federally illegal but legal under some state laws. Be sure to check state laws, especially when traveling. Also, keep in mind that the FDA has not approved nonprescription CBD products, and some products may be inaccurately labeled.
CBDfx offers gummies, tinctures, topicals, edibles, and capsules containing cannabidiol (CBD). The products are cruelty- and solvent-free, and the company displays certificates of analysis (COAs) on its website to show that the products have undergone third party testing.
People interested in CBD products can review the companies, such as CBDfx, that produce them. They may wish to check what extraction method a company uses to collect the CBD, the type of CBD in specific products, the dosage, and whether the company uses third party testing.
CBD is a compound that comes from the Cannabis sativa plant. The plant contains more than 400 chemical compounds and 80 biologically active molecules. CBD is the
CBD alone does not provide the “high” feeling that most people associate with cannabis. Instead, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — the main psychoactive ingredient in the plant — is responsible for this feeling.
Although there is a lack of scientific evidence to support all of the common CBD health claims, researchers are exploring the effectiveness of CBD in treating:
- chronic pain
- inflammatory diseases
- neurodegenerative diseases
- Full-spectrum: This type contains all extracts of the cannabis plant, but THC makes up less than 0.3% of its dry weight.
- Broad-spectrum: This type contains most extracts of the cannabis plant but generally zero or only trace amounts of THC.
- Isolate: CBD isolate contains only CBD in its purest form.
The extraction method that a company uses to release CBD from the cannabis plant affects its quality. For instance, using chemical-based solvents can leave traces of these chemicals behind.
- carbon dioxide (CO2)
- olive oil
CBDfx was founded in the San Fernando Valley in California in 2014, and it is currently the second-largest privately held CBD company in the world.
CBDfx sells a wide variety of CBD products, including gummies, capsules, tinctures, topicals, pet products, and vaping supplies. The products are subject to a lengthy production process before they become available to purchase.
The process starts with non-GMO hemp that grows organically and without pesticides in Kentucky. CBDfx uses the highly regarded CO2 process to extract CBD from the plant. The company’s facilities have accreditation from Current Good Manufacturing Processes (cGMP), and strict manufacturing and testing guidelines are in place.
Third party labs test all products and tag them with a QR code so that individuals can easily see what their products contain. The COAs are viewable on the CBDfx website for transparency.
Before purchasing any CBDfx products, a person may wish to weigh the benefits and downsides of the brand.
- The CBD comes from organic C. sativa plants.
- CBDfx claims that its labs test all products eight times for impurities.
- The products have tags with a traceable QR code that lets individuals see the third party lab reports.
- Customers can choose from a wide range of products.
- Some test results show evidence of a residual solvent in the tinctures, which the CO2 extraction process that the company claims to use should eliminate.
- Full lab results are not available for CBDfx’s gel capsules, only the potency.
- Returns are only possible if the product is unopened.
- Customers must report damaged products within 24 hours of receipt in order to get a replacement.
Below, we look at some of CBDfx’s top products in more detail.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information is purely research-based.
Each of these fruit-flavored, vegan gummies contains 25 milligrams (mg) of broad-spectrum CBD. They are gluten-free and do not contain corn syrup or artificial colors or sweeteners.
The recommended serving is two gummies, or 50 mg.
CBDfx says that a bottle of 60 gummies, which costs about $50, should last most individuals 1–2 months.
This tincture blends broad-spectrum CBD and melatonin with cannabinol (CBN), a cannabinoid that proponents claim promotes better sleep. The product aims to help people fall asleep easily and stay asleep.
The regular strength version provides 1,000 mg of CBD in a 30-milliliter (ml) bottle that costs about $70. Alternatively, people can opt for the extra strength version, which provides 2,000 mg of CBD in a 60-ml bottle, or the maximum strength product, which consists of 4,000 mg of CBD in a 120-ml bottle. These products cost about $100 and $170, respectively.
This topical CBD product, which the company describes as being suitable for both elite athletes and the general population, combines cooling peppermint and wintergreen oil with warming camphor oil.
It uses broad-spectrum CBD in a base of shea butter and coconut oil.
The 750-mg stick is available to purchase online for about $60, whereas the 1,000-mg stick costs nearly $100.
Some pets may also benefit from CBD products. These pet treats contain 450 mg of broad-spectrum CBD, plus various herbs and supplements, including chamomile, valerian root, passionflower, and L-tryptophan.
The treats use human-grade ingredients and are vegan, soy-free, and sweet potato-flavored.
A person should always check with a veterinarian before giving any products containing CBD to their pet.
This product costs almost $35 for a bag of 30 treats.
Points of comparison worth noting include:
- CBDfx has a wider variety of products than cbdMD and Lazarus Naturals.
- Whereas Lazarus Naturals and cbdMD do not include any THC in their products, those from CBDfx may contain up to 0.3%.
- CBDfx and cbdMD claim to use the CO2 extraction process to obtain the CBD for their products. Lazarus Naturals uses the crystalline process.
- All three companies offer free shipping and a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
The market for CBD products is growing, and learning more about the companies that make CBD products can help a person make better-informed choices.
Key things that a person may wish to check include where the company obtains its plants, how it extracts the CBD it uses, and whether it puts its products through third party testing.